Taking TV to OZ...what about plug??

Dean74

put an Australian plug on them

Sorry to sound ignorant (not an electrician) the plugs are molded on, if it's just a case of cutting plug off and re-wiring to new plug will I not be left with a spare wire? (two prongs on OZ plug three on Uk plug), like I say not hot on my wiring my wife will testify to that!!.

Sorry to sound ignorant (not an electrician) the plugs are molded on, if it's just a case of cutting plug off and re-wiring to new plug will I not be left with a spare wire? (two prongs on OZ plug three on Uk plug), like I say not hot on my wiring my wife will testify to that!!.

Aussie plugs are three pin too.

type-i-australian-plug-outlet-uruguay.jpg

type-i-australian-plug-outlet-uruguay.jpg

Aussie plugs come with live, neutral and earth same as UK ones

Some appliances don't need to be connected to your house earth as they are double insulated - no chance of anything you can touch on the outside becoming live (usually means all exposed parts are made of an insulator, eg plastic). In these cases the flex only has two wires - live and neutral. Same in Aus as the UK

But if you're not confident about changing plugs and have never done it (as it sounds) then get an electrician to do it. Having the proper plug on an appliance is safer than operating it for years via wobbly adaptors BTW

Many thanks for all your reply's, Don't know where I got the idea they were 2 pronged plugs. :wacko:

Some are.....where fitted to appliances that don't need an earth. In the UK we just use 3 pronged plugs for everything, even where not necessary and inside the plug there'll be no earth wire attached to that prong

Look at any of your table lamps or most of your audiovisual stuff for an example

We are considering taking 3 flat screen TV's to OZ, however would we have to plug them into a travel adapter permanently or is their some long term solution?

Hi there..i have a family member in OZ, and they suggest not taking a TV, due to problems with the sound conversion over there. I may be wrong though.

Hi there..i have a family member in OZ, and they suggest not taking a TV, due to problems with the sound conversion over there. I may be wrong though.

Sound conversion? Nah

The digital (Freeview) tuner probably won't work for Aus digital TV. But it will work fine as a TV with a set top box (or if you get Foxtel it will output to the TV just fine)

Your not supposed to do a lot of things in both countries. Mostly for safety reasons and if you have a fire after you've changed a plug, or done some dodgy house wiring yourself and the insurance company find it's because of what you did and you're not a licensed electrician they have good grounds not to pay out. Could cost you everything.

Very unlikely it would happen but if, like the original poster, you really don't have a clue about changing a plug then it's probably a good idea to get an electrician to do it.

As has been said, up here in Queensland (and in several other states) it's illegal to do ANY electrical work (including changing plugs) unless you're a licensed electrician.

Having said that, every DIY shop I know sells the plugs you need so I suspect it's pretty commonly done including by me.

For those old enough to remember the days when any electrical goods you bought in the UK came plugless and you had to install your own, putting on an Aussie one will be no more difficult. Nobody is going door to door inspecting plugs or demanding certificates. The one thing to watch for is that, in the slight chance of the plug causing a fire, should it be noticed you may void your insurance. However, so long as you know what you're doing and are careful, I think the possibility of a fire is so slight as to be negligible.

I suggest NOT changing the plugs but getting an adaptor. If a fire starts from this, your home and content insurances become void. No one likes being homeless and having no options.

MAY become void

For this to be a problem, a fire would actually have to start as a result of you wiring the plug wrongly (this isn't actually very likely even if you make a right hash of it), AND this would have to be proved to be the cause......there are electrical safety issues with using adaptors long term as well, as they're not designed for that sort of use

As far as the OP is concerned, as someone else has said, it sounds like they have no idea when it comes to wiring a plug, in which case get an electrician to do it. Safest from all points of view

I suggest NOT changing the plugs but getting an adaptor. If a fire starts from this, your home and content insurances become void. No one likes being homeless and having no options.

That's a valid--and legal--choice. However, if you'd rather not take the risk of changing plugs, I strongly suggest you do NOT rely on adaptors but, rather, spend the money to get a licensed electrician in for half an hour to change all your plugs.

The vast majority of adaptors are cheaply made and, frequently, do not provide continuity for the earth pin--they're designed for temporary use on appliances that draw a low current. As such, they are far more dangerous than a properly changed plug. It may be legal to use them--but your fire risk goes up a fair bit if you put something like a Plasma TV or washing machine via an unsuitable adaptor.

As I said earlier, I was only giving the facts and not encouraging anyone to break the law--at least not without knowin the facts.

Just cut the UK plug off and put an Aussie one on - easy peasy (but probably illegal in some states ;-) )

When we bought Oz plugs Dick Smith told us to get a professional to change them for us, I agree with others if you know what you are doing then it should be ok, I don't so I won't ...

Edited by Love Shoes