Living in a different city than Canberra?

OZ lander

Hi everyone

i have a state sponsored (ACT) visa 176.

what are the implications if I settle in Sydney instead?

Ive read many posts that there are no implications at all... It's this correct?

Will it affect my application for citizenship later on?

I might have a possible job opportunity in Sydney and this would really help If I can live and work there without any implications.......

Does anyone know of people who have done this?

Appreciate a y advice and guidance...

What's wrong with Canberra? They sponsored you it would be nice if you adhered to the moral obligation. You never know if the rules might change within the next 4 years, there have been rumblings in the past.

Yes ofcourse .... We don't mind living in Canberra at all.... It's a matter of a opportunity in Sydney :huh:

Its a total moral obligation but legal.

I guess every one who applied/ is going to apply for the ACT job market etc, but once they got the sponsorship and visa they tend to leave Canberra. Its nothing but cheating and lack of morality. Who knows in near future the law will be changed and will make it mandatory to stay in the sponsored state, like 489 visa.

I think its needed. State like ACT/NT need skilled people, & that's why they do sponsor. Some chicky people take this as an opportunity.

• 2 months later...

hi

I was wondering if you can tell what you ended up doing if a decition has been made... I got 190 visa with ACT sponsorship but am finding it difficult to find work as well. I activated my visa in april and had a job interview with Hays but no luck. They said 80% of the jobs needs security clearance but am not sure if that is correct, sounds like a lot.

I work as a career counsellor in secondary schools in Denmark where Im from, but masters from UK.

We were glad to get nominated by ACT, sounds like a great place to be so we wouldn't think of going to Sydney or Melbourne. And 2 years will fly-by fast if you still want to go. I think the issue is that people want to be given the golden chair right away. We are both professionals but prepared to serve coffee if needed be until we find the dream job. So any job will do. Heck, we are even willing to re-train. And we are not even young anymore....

Anyhow, it may not be an issue until you decide to become a citizen. So what will you say if they'll ask the question: did you fulfill your 2 years of residence in your nominating state?

hi

I was wondering if you can tell what you ended up doing if a decition has been made... I got 190 visa with ACT sponsorship but am finding it difficult to find work as well. I activated my visa in april and had a job interview with Hays but no luck. They said 80% of the jobs needs security clearance but am not sure if that is correct, sounds like a lot.

I work as a career counsellor in secondary schools in Denmark where Im from, but masters from UK.

Hmm I'm surprised that careers counsellor was on the list of desired occupations - ACT did away with careers counsellors in about 1990! The 80% is probably about right for government positions especially now in Canberra where departments will be shedding against a possible change of government in September. You could try the not for profit sector but it all depends on your skill set!

it was on the limited list so knew it will be difficult but will also try community service jobs and admin temping. Im very grateful for being granted the visa with ACT sponsorship and am keeping a positive mind. my co said I can ask to be released from ACT if no jobs but have to apply for a lot.

I cant see myself living in Canberra for life, am more of a big city person but will do my very best to honor my obligation.

hi

Hi we haven't moved yet. ETA jan2014

we will settle in Canberra and see how we get on.

​Cheers

We were glad to get nominated by ACT, sounds like a great place to be so we wouldn't think of going to Sydney or Melbourne. And 2 years will fly-by fast if you still want to go. I think the issue is that people want to be given the golden chair right away. We are both professionals but prepared to serve coffee if needed be until we find the dream job. So any job will do. Heck, we are even willing to re-train. And we are not even young anymore....

That attitude will serve you well.

Actually, serving coffee is a booming trade in Canberra and not the worst wages either....they drink an unbelievable amount. You'll be walking round with your own cup in no time.

That attitude will serve you well.

Actually, serving coffee is a booming trade in Canberra and not the worst wages either....they drink an unbelievable amount. You'll be walking round with your own cup in no time.

You have to be excited if you want to move over. And you also have to believe in it. Nothing is granted in life but you have to live your life without regrets.

​Nothing is wrong with coffee, although I am an avid tea drinker, hubby is already a coffee convert, so I'll make sure to pack his favourite coffee mug! ;-)

Good luck whatever you end up doing! Can't see the point of staying in an area if you can't get work, not sure on legalities though. You are bringing your skills in to Australia, can't see that it matters where you live personally. But I do recall that story about the Scottish family.... Maybe give immigration a quick call and see what they say???