What am I doing!!!!!!

craigyboy

Im in a right pickle tonight and just can't sleep :chatterbox:: Lodged 189 visa on the 24th December, but no CO as of yet. House put on the market on Friday (as part of the project Australia plan)and a serious viewer coming tomorrow. If I get an offer tomorrow I could be making my family homeless. Talk about best laid plans of mice and men!!!

DILEMA: Should I put the brakes on until I have a 189 visa, or shoot down this migration path like a tobogganist with no brakes? YIKES!!!:nah:

Tricky one. We put our house on the market before I even accepted the job I was negotiating and therefore before the visa was even applied for, and agreed the sale before all that too. Didn't exchange contracts until we were definitely going though, so technically we could have pulled out if our conscience would have allowed it

Different in Scotland though, isn't it? You're committed to the sale much earlier in the process

How long are the 189 visas taking at the mo? I guess it will all hinge on that

Tricky one. We put our house on the market before I even accepted the job I was negotiating and therefore before the visa was even applied for, and agreed the sale before all that too. Didn't exchange contracts until we were definitely going though, so technically we could have pulled out if our conscience would have allowed it

Different in Scotland though, isn't it? You're committed to the sale much earlier in the process

How long are the 189 visas taking at the mo? I guess it will all hinge on that

Expecting a case officer on Monday as this is the 10 week suggested allocation time. If an offer came in I would have an element of time before missives were concluded. Therefore, good point: I'm having a wobbly, I think that's the real problem lol.

No, don't sell your house until you have a visa - and even then you might think of hanging on to it and renting it out - you never know when you might need it. So often we hear on here of people who jump ahead of themselves and get in a right pickle

Depends on your finances I suppose, we couldn't sell our house so rented it out, it meant we have lived in some temporary accommodation in UK for two months but it hasn't bothered us at all. If the visa hadnt worked out we would have moved back home once the 6months were up on the lease. For us it worked out as we are renting furnished accommodation in the UK allowing all our stuff to be already on its way on the high seas. It has also meant all I have to pack for our Monday flights are our suitcases (much easier for me than the packing up and cleaning before our tennents moved in) . Sad goodbyes to your home are also not so fresh in your mind. It's worked for us but wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea. Good luck with whatever you do Geraldine

difficult one this. if it turns out to be serious buyer, i wouldn't be too quick in switching them off. I would check their expectations in relation to moving date and ask your solicitor not be too hasty in concluding missives. This would give you some time to see how this will work out. Of course, you don't want to sell your home (presumably) and find out that you cannot get the visa, but on the other hand it would be also be frustrating to let a buyer go and the visa goes through as planned. difficult one, but i would play it a little to suit you and give you some time to see how things pan out.

We are still waiting for the Golden Ticket and our house is on the market. We have been trying to sell it for 8 months now and only had two offers (one party could not get a mortgage in the UK and the other offer was so cheeky it was obscene!).

What is the market like in your area? Perhaps before making any decisions you should talk to your local agents and see firstly what you could achieve for the property and what sort of drop you would need to take if you needed a quick sale. This may help you to make a decision.

We are hoping if we get accepted to go straightaway so are looking for the house to sell as soon as possible.

I appreciate that the property transactions in Scotland are very different and I know you could not easily or cheaply pull out of a property sale. The agents would be my best bet.

Im in a right pickle tonight and just can't sleep :chatterbox:: Lodged 189 visa on the 24th December, but no CO as of yet. House put on the market on Friday (as part of the project Australia plan)and a serious viewer coming tomorrow. If I get an offer tomorrow I could be making my family homeless. Talk about best laid plans of mice and men!!!

DILEMA: Should I put the brakes on until I have a 189 visa, or shoot down this migration path like a tobogganist with no brakes? YIKES!!!:nah:

It took 4 months from lodging our application to being granted our 189 visa. have you had your medicals and police checks? We hadn't done those when we lodged our application so that put ours back a bit too! Once the CO is allocated, it seems to be a pretty quick process although i have heard its taking a little longer now.. its a shame to hold back when you have a potential buyer..

We rent out 2 houses in UK and would sell tomorrow if we could so beware! One is an investment but the other was our home and we rented simply because we couldn't sell quick enough to time it with our move to OZ. shoot me down in flames but we came on a 457 and were very niaive about it being permanent so we wanted to sell our Uk assets to make a fresh start. We have gone through the whole process very naively and very rose tinted glasses wise but no bad thing as all worked out well and we got our PR very quickly after arriving, however, our headache has been the UK assets and the inability to realize them so we have had to start from scratch in OZ whilst servicing UK mortgages and that's been tough. To add to the problem, we've had a call this week to find out our 'perfect' tenants have left, the house is a complete tip and we basically need to spend a few £1000 redecorating to make it rentable again, meanwhile they get their full bond back???? They haven't trashed the house, they simply haven't looked after it and its frustrating as having rented in OZ, you do pay big bucks but you are expected to hand the house back in a state that basically means you shouldn't have dared to live in it!!! It's a learning curve... anyway, after rather a long monologue I'm just sharing my experience which I hope helps!!! Sometimes renting is the only option, it was our only option but not because we had doubts, just logistics, if you're sure about the move and you have a buyer I'd take it but then again I just didn't want the headache of renting, however, I'm pragmatic enough to think that if we've managed to start again here then we should 'forget' the UK houses, rent them, keep paying off the mortgage and just maybe in 20 years time the golden goose will finally lay its eggs!!!

Hi Craigyboy,

i guess you can only go with what is best for your circumstances. We sold our house in september and moved into rented accomodation. Saving £1000 a month on lower heating / council tax / rent etc.

Paitiently waiting for a CO also. PCC applied for, medicals on Friday.

Good Luck !!!

Tony

Sell craig puts you in a stronger position financially and with the market as it is in Scotland the house prices are going to stagnate or slow right down.We sold as you know and even without the visa sold for 10 % less than the valuation.Heart braking giving it away as we done so much to it.But it's time for a new beginning a new start no matter how tough just have put the head down and get on with it.Good luck old freind and thank you for being my freind throughout my visa journey ,seems a long time ago we met at an ielts test and been great freinds since

Good luck craig you deserve it

Ritchie Debbie Max and Bump on its way

We had similar problem , we got our visas then put house up but only had till may to validate visas . House went nearly straight away , well we accepted offer took it of the market for them then they pulled out just before Christmas left us in the kaka. This left us 4 months to sell and luckily it went thru last week with weeks to spare. Very stressful but worthit in the long run I hope . Perth here we come.

Guest The Pom Queen

We sold prior to having the visa, big risk but paid off. We took out a rental until the visa arrived.

We sold prior to having the visa, big risk but paid off. We took out a rental until the visa arrived.

You know that's exactly what sometimes you have to do take the chance look it worked for me thank god craig it will be fine honest

If the house means a lot to you then don't sell. It also depends on the current market, and the reality that if this sale doesn't go through, then what do you do? Can you come out if it doesn't sell? Youu can always rent until such times that the visa comes through especially if this is due soon. It's a hard call. We sold in Aug 2008 in Scotland and it was at the time when the market wasn't good, and stayed with family for 4 weeks before coming out, so that suited us, but may not suit you and your family....No one said it was going to be easy :-)

Archived