had sufficient points, was invited to carry on, then told i dobt have enough by a case officer

mel73

Hi all, I'm applying for the 489 sponsored visa. I scored 65 points and was told to progress further, which I did. Yesterday I received an email from my case officer saying he could only find 60 points. I find this unfair as so far I have spent lots of money on the initial payment plus medicals. Has anyone else had a similar situation. I don't know what to do to find more points, or where I've since been deducted them. Anyone's help would be appreciated.

It seems that many people have ticked that they have an Australian qualification, when they don't. It isn't worded wonderfully. Have a look through where your points came from, could you have done that?

Is it not possible for someone to get RPL from an Accredited Australian Educational Institution? I used to work in the industry and it isn't difficult as long as you can match the modules/units via descriptors.

Hi all, I'm applying for the 489 sponsored visa. I scored 65 points and was told to progress further, which I did. Yesterday I received an email from my case officer saying he could only find 60 points. I find this unfair as so far I have spent lots of money on the initial payment plus medicals. Has anyone else had a similar situation. I don't know what to do to find more points, or where I've since been deducted them. Anyone's help would be appreciated.

And therein lies the risk of overclaiming your points on the EoI.

Its not an issue of fairness - the migration legislation leaves the DIAC case officer with no choice if your claimed points in the EoI are overstated, as has been discussed at length on this forum in the past: a sticky post discussing this issue was on this forum for several weeks.

I anticipate you will be asked to withdraw your visa application, lodge another EoI, re-enter the process of waiting for an invitation from DIAC - and yes, paying the DIAC Visa Application Charge again. Hopefully your medical examination will remain valid so you can eventually enter Australia as the holder of a s/c 489 visa before the 12 month validity period expires.

Best regards.

Is it not possible for someone to get RPL from an Accredited Australian Educational Institution? I used to work in the industry and it isn't difficult as long as you can match the modules/units via descriptors.
my mate did it for certificate iv in occupational health and safety.

I haven't got an Australian qualification. I haven't overclaimed. My points were awarded as aS the information provided. The points test gave me 65! I've a degree in construction and a city and guilds in stone masonry with a 3 year apprenticeship papers.

Guest guest76088

Is this correct? So achieving state sponsorship almost guarantees an invitation at 60 points with minimal waiting? Presumably with no state sponsorship even with 65 or more there may still be several rounds before invited?

BigD

The safest option is to claim 60 points if you have State Sponsorship.

Claiming 65 or more is pointless, as State Sponsorship triggers a visa application invitation, irrespective of how many points you claim.

Best regards.

Guest guest76088

So what is the explanation given by the case officer for the inconsistency? I find it hard to believe he/she would say I can only find 60 points without saying what they were or how they differed from your assessment.

BigD

I haven't got an Australian qualification. I haven't overclaimed. My points were awarded as aS the information provided. The points test gave me 65! I've a degree in construction and a city and guilds in stone masonry with a 3 year apprenticeship papers.

I believe it is, but many people have assumed that as they have passed the skills assessment that they then get these points just on that, which they don't. The wording is really not very clear.

Op, maybe you could list a breakdown of your points. It might be possible to see where they are most likely to have taken the points off?

It isn't really possible to help you understand where the gap might be without a bit more information.

Where do you think your 65 points came from? Perhaps post up a breakdown and comment on each line item.

Unfortunately this is a common and reoccurring theme under SkillSelect. One which myself and other Agents on this forum have highlighted before.

Posted in December 2012:

“Unfortunately this is an issue with the SkillSelect system. The EOI is touted as being very simple and quick to lodge, which it is. The problem however, is that the EOI forms the foundation of your subsequent Visa application.

Because the EOI is so quick and simple to complete, many do not realise the seriousness and weight of the answers provided. Many of the questions are specifically linked to Regulations which need to be met for the subsequent Visa application. Questions on the EOI appear simple (employment experience), but the requirements to meet the criteria under the Visa Regulations and Policy can be very complex.

The problem is compounded by the fact that the Regulations specifically preclude an application being granted, if the points claimed on the EOI do not meet the points which can been proven at the Visa stage.

As such even a simple and innocent mistake such as ticking the incorrect box can lead to a visa refusal.”

We were also told at a recent seminar for WA' that if you get to 50 points SS, they would top up but didn't mention partner skills have to be on the sol, we only have 50 inc IELTS ideally want Perth but only takes us up to the 55 mark, does this sound right?

You need to post your breakdown of points for anyone to comment to be honest.

Without knowing what you have claimed and how you answered the questions its not possible to offer an opinion. I know it sounds harsh but I would doubt the Case Officer is wrong; Being awarded 65 points simply means you ticked the boxes/made the claims to allow the software to calculate 65 points.

If its any help a number of people have withdrawn their application and been refunded their visa application fee, fingers crossed.

Hi all, I've been told to restart application process again. Apparently I clicked on overseas work, which I have never done. The website kept kicking me out and the only explanation I have is that it happened accidently. This was an honest mistake and I feel a very harsh decision has been made even though I still qualify. This has taken ten months to complete. I must now start again and now I'm 40 have lost another 5 points. I'm totally gutted.

Hi all, I've been told to restart application process again. Apparently I clicked on overseas work, which I have never done. The website kept kicking me out and the only explanation I have is that it happened accidently. This was an honest mistake and I feel a very harsh decision has been made even though I still qualify. This has taken ten months to complete. I must now start again and now I'm 40 have lost another 5 points. I'm totally gutted.

Wow, annoying. Not really a harsh decision though as there could be other people with a genuine 65 points who have not been invited yet as they only invite a certain number of people each time. You will get there, it is just a little set back.

Archived