University entry for my daughter in Australia - what's the score?

d4ddyc00l

We're making the move to Oz this year, having secured our 190 visas last November.

Our daughter is currently in her 1st year at 6th form studying her A levels. We were going to wait until July when she has finished her 1st year, but just wondered if its worth it. She will have completed 4 AS levels by then but we just wanted to know if this will actually count for anything. She wants to go to uni over there, so we just need to work out whether its worth waiting until she's finished her first year, or go before then. Does anyone know what she'd need to get into uni in this situation?

Its actually very well worth her finishing her A levels! If she doesnt then she is going to be a bit at risk for uni entry scores but with A levels she will have to get lower grades (comparatively) to get into equivalent courses in Aus. She can get some credit for her AS levels but would still have to get her year 12 certificate which would mean, basically doing years 11 and 12 and kids in Aus start year 11 at 16. She would get some credit but how that would impact on her university entrance scores is anyones guess, she'd also have to pick up more subjects for year 12 and that could be tricky. Far better to get her A levels then use them for uni entry. Not what you wanted to hear I am sure.

Hi. We're in the same position as you. Ive posted a link (hope it works) with a table of requirements.

GCSEs & AS levels wont gain your DD enough points for UNI entry. We considered making the move before our DD started college but felt that she would have had to make up too much ground to achieve a decent GCE. We're staying put until Sept 2014. It cost us a small fortune to go on a visa validation reccy but felt it was worth it to safe guard DDs future career prospects.

Also gives us more time to save for the fees which as a PR of less than two years we will be required to pay upfront!

Hope this helps you decide what to do for the best.

http://www.uq.edu.au/study/docs/domestic/gce.pdf

We made our move last August whilst my daughter was in between UK year 12 and year 13. It had been our intention that she would come out with us, but when we compared the syllabus in NSW with her AS courses they had insufficient overlap - so she has stayed in the UK whilst we have moved over She came out at Christmas, and will come over permanently in June and is staying with friends to finish her A Levels.

Which state are you moving to? I think Victoria give an exemption to the first year of the VCE for students who have GCSEs (!!!) so students can go straight into the second year of the VCE, NSW don't. Look at the websites of say Sydney and Melbourne universities to see what they will want from students studying A Levels. Be aware that in many places it is compulsory to study English in Australian year 11 and year 12, so your decision may depend on what subjects your daughter is doing.

If she does stay in the UK, she would be well advised to take all four subjects to A Level. From what I have seen, universities here are more interested in four slightly lower grades than 3 slightly higher grades. Australian students often take 5 or 6 subjects. I can tell you quite a bit NSW, so let me know if this is where you are going! What visa are you coming on? If a 457, be aware some states charge for temporary residents to attend state schools.

It is also really important to remember that whilst PR holders are able to pay uni fees at a cheaper domestic rate, they are still not eligible for HECS ( government tuition loans).

Only Australian citizens are able to access these loans - not PR's. It can make university very expensive and difficult if you don't have the funds readily available to pay upfront at the beginning of each semester.

We made our move last August whilst my daughter was in between UK year 12 and year 13. It had been our intention that she would come out with us, but when we compared the syllabus in NSW with her AS courses they had insufficient overlap - so she has stayed in the UK whilst we have moved over She came out at Christmas, and will come over permanently in June and is staying with friends to finish her A Levels.

Which state are you moving to? I think Victoria give an exemption to the first year of the VCE for students who have GCSEs (!!!) so students can go straight into the second year of the VCE, NSW don't. Look at the websites of say Sydney and Melbourne universities to see what they will want from students studying A Levels. Be aware that in many places it is compulsory to study English in Australian year 11 and year 12, so your decision may depend on what subjects your daughter is doing.

If she does stay in the UK, she would be well advised to take all four subjects to A Level. From what I have seen, universities here are more interested in four slightly lower grades than 3 slightly higher grades. Australian students often take 5 or 6 subjects. I can tell you quite a bit NSW, so let me know if this is where you are going! What visa are you coming on? If a 457, be aware some states charge for temporary residents to attend state schools.

We're coming over on a 190 to WA, however I have an interview with Target in London on 9th February for a position at their HO in Geelong, so we could potentially be going to Vic depending on how the interview goes.

It's not an option for her to stay another year and complete her A levels, so she will have 4 AS levels and 12 GCSEs when we come. She is currently doing English and Maths at AS level so that should help I hope.

I know she will have uni fees to pay when she does go, but the reduced rates are about 1/5 of the cost if she was an international student, or we were'nt permanent residents so its not all bad.

We've warned her that she will have to possibly do one or two more years, and she's not over the moon about it, but she does accept it. I suppose its just part of the whole process of emigrating, and will definitely be for the better in the long run.

I have a feeling she will have to do Year 12 when she comes- but she should find it easy with all those GCSEs etc. I would be surprised if she is able to go straight to uni though it depends what course she wants to study. Certainly worth approaching some of the unis to see what they say.

Hi. We're in the same position as you. Ive posted a link (hope it works) with a table of requirements.

GCSEs & AS levels wont gain your DD enough points for UNI entry. We considered making the move before our DD started college but felt that she would have had to make up too much ground to achieve a decent GCE. We're staying put until Sept 2014. It cost us a small fortune to go on a visa validation reccy but felt it was worth it to safe guard DDs future career prospects.

Also gives us more time to save for the fees which as a PR of less than two years we will be required to pay upfront!

Hope this helps you decide what to do for the best.

http://www.uq.edu.au/study/docs/domestic/gce.pdf

We're also in the same position and I'm really glad for the above info. Could I please ask where you found out that you have to pay upfront fees if PR less than 2 yrs? Also, do you know when the 2yrs starts from - we were granted our 176 permanent residency visa in October 2011 which was validated in August 2012. Not sure if the 2yrs starts from either of these dates or when you move out permanently?

Our son is currently in Y6 doing his final year of GCSEs but is predicted to achieve A/A*s in all subjects so we have also decided (reluctantly) to stay in the UK until he finishes his A-levels in 2015! We also do not want to risk unsettling him during this crucial time in his education.

Many thanks again.

All PRs have to pay Uni fees upfront. There's no 2 year cutoff - it's the same whether you've been a PR for a week or 10 years..

It changes once you become a citizen. Citizens can defer fees as they qualify for HECS (student loans). Citizens also get a discount if they do pay upfront.

PRs don't get this discount.

We're also in the same position and I'm really glad for the above info. Could I please ask where you found out that you have to pay upfront fees if PR less than 2 yrs? Also, do you know when the 2yrs starts from - we were granted our 176 permanent residency visa in October 2011 which was validated in August 2012. Not sure if the 2yrs starts from either of these dates or when you move out permanently?

Our son is currently in Y6 doing his final year of GCSEs but is predicted to achieve A/A*s in all subjects so we have also decided (reluctantly) to stay in the UK until he finishes his A-levels in 2015! We also do not want to risk unsettling him during this crucial time in his education.

Many thanks again.

Hi. Ive a feeling that I could be wrong about the 2yrs! On further research it would appear that PRs are not eligible for any help. Oz citizens can apply for HECS which I think is similar to a student loan in the UK. Until citizenship I think we're stumped :eek:.

We would still qualify for Commonwealth rates which are lower than the new UK Uni fees though.

Fortunately our son is only 8yrs else I dont think we could afford it!

Yeah you don't get any help but the rates are greatly reduced. As for not wanting to disrupt their education, just my opinion but I don't see the advantage of staying in this country for two more years to get A levels when it's just the equivalent in Oz terms of passing your year 12. Why not just move over and do the year 11/12 over there and then go to uni. As for paying the fees I've already told my son and daughter that they'll have to get jobs to help towards the fees and they totally agree. After all they are effectively adults and its their choice to go to uni. They prefer to start taking responsibility for their own future which I think is a good thing.

My friends daughter stayed in the UK to complete her A levels which were sufficient to get her into Uni here. My daughter has completed years 11 and 12 here for which you get an ATAR result after exams (it takes into account exam results during years 11 and 12). - Uni's set their entry as an ATAR for those students e.g. Curtin has an entry ATAR of 70, UWA 80 etc., Notre Dame is private and is entry is by interview (can't remember the ATARS of the other Uni's in WA).

Archived