Anyone moving to Brisbane in 2014???

flissbob

Absolutely open to anyone - you don't have to be living in North Lakes. We arranged it for NL purely because it's convenient for a lot of people who are new to Brisbane. Warner isn't far from NL - about 15-20 minutes' drive (Warner is just west of Strathpine). If you get a satnav/gps you'll find Aurora Boulevard ok. If you don't Google Maps will help you, or contact me once you're here and I'll give you directions. There's also the paper book, published annually (in November), called the UBD (costs around $30) and it gives all road, parks, schools, shopping centres, etc. information for south-east Queensland, including the Gold Coast (south) and the Sunshine Coast (north).

When we first arrived, we were told distances, not miles/kilometres, so we now say 'it's so-and-so time'. Sunshine Coast is about an hour. Gold Coast is about 1.5 hours' drive, Brisbane City/cbd (out of rush hour) is 30-40 minutes' drive.

Hope this helps.

That's brilliant. Thanks for that. I will be coming with my Australian fiancee she'll know where's she's going :-)

Will definitely check out the UBD

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone! Well we are here! Arrived in Melbourne 2nd may. Had a holiday in Melbourne then traveled up the east coast, visiting friends in Sydney and carried on to Brisbane! Hubby got a job in 5 days and we have bought a car and we have just got a rental in Eatons hill. Can't believe how smooth it's all gone! Which is great as my AHPRA are still messing me about. Just need to get my 4 year old booked in for prep in January at the local school oh and my Medicare cards sorted! How's everyone else getting on? Any new comers to Brisbane fancy a meet up? Please pm me. Hope to see people soon. Xxxxx

Hi in process of packing up my house in Victoria and moving to Brisbane shortly... Moved from UK in jan 2013. Don't know a living soul in Brisbane and actually feel more nervous about this move than the move from UK...

Trying to find any advice on schools suburbs in the south west. My husband will be based in wacol...

Hi,

Me and husband both 33 plus our two boys 5 and 3 are just in the process of getting all the details together to apply for our 189 visa.

As soon as it is granted (hopefully) we will be on the plane heading to Brisbane. Im super nervous about leaving my mummy but really looking forward to the next chapter in our lives.

We are really hoping to be there before xmas if things go to plan but if not early next year.

Ive been looking at North Lakes or Mango hill and would really like to meet up with people once out there.

Thanks

Guest dannii28

hi everyone,

i posted here very early on in the group and then dropped off the radar!

but im back!

we are heading over in october. me hubby and 3yr old. we have lived on the gold coast before and are heading back there to start.

would be great to keep in touch and meet up when we arrive

danielle:wink:Hello,

Edited by dannii28

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, i decided to join this forum just to say that my wife and i (38 and 41) and our 2 boys (8 and 5) are moving from Glasgow to Brisbane on a PR visa near the end of the year. I am a Network Engineer and my wife is a Mental Health Nurse.

Plan is to get a holiday rental near the Gold Coast for 3-4 weeks, before moving up towards Mount Cotton, Thornlands, Cleveland for a longer term let.

None of us have a job lined up and are bricking it :)

Guest hoffer

I was in Mount Cotton village on Saturday with the family taking my daughter for a bike ride. Really beautiful spot if it was on a train line id move there.

Hello, i decided to join this forum just to say that my wife and i (38 and 41) and our 2 boys (8 and 5) are moving from Glasgow to Brisbane on a PR visa near the end of the year. I am a Network Engineer and my wife is a Mental Health Nurse.

Plan is to get a holiday rental near the Gold Coast for 3-4 weeks, before moving up towards Mount Cotton, Thornlands, Cleveland for a longer term let.

None of us have a job lined up and are bricking it :)

• 1 month later...

Hey Fliss!

Welcome vibes from one Yorkshire lads to another. Well I'm North East from Redcar so next door to Yorkshire.

we already live in Brisbane but not sure where you guys are heading. We live Southside in Ormiston. Like you we don't have children but are older than you guys (I'm 40 and Dave is 42)

I'm a primary school teacher who has just left teaching to do private tutoring from home.

Dave is an Electrician.

Great jobs, loads of time off.

We enjoy getting out on our motorbikes, caravan, going to theatre, live music and having a laugh over a board game.

If you need a friendly face or a BBQ just drop me a private message,

We bought land and built our home so we would welcome you for a few friendly hours.

You will love it here.

Thr offer is there!

Take care

kip

Hi myself and wife (both 44 kids flown the nest) are hoping to get over by the end of this year to Brisbane we are currently living in New Zealand after getting PR here, and coming over from Bolton ( well I'm a Bolton Brummie) Wife is a Midwife and I am a Warehouse Manager we are trying to get a sponsor as we are struggling with points for Skilled Independant now we are so decrepit and old :wink:

Hi Everyone,

I hope all that have made the move so far are enjoying their new surroundings.

My wife (31) and I (35) and our 2 kids (Daughter 4 Son 1) are moving to Brisbane on 15th September. We haven't got a clue where we are going to be living as neither of us have jobs yet. I'm a security technician and need to get all my licences in place before I can get a job which will take a month or 2 to sort out. The problem is that we only have 3 weeks to find a place when we get there. PRESSURE PRESSURE lol.

I do like the look of North Lakes and the fact there is a large expat community appeals too as I think it will help Mrs w1 meet people with a common ground. I read earlier on in this thread that people have meet ups around that area every so often, does anyone know if there is going to be one mid/late September?

Regards

W1

Hi Everyone,

I hope all that have made the move so far are enjoying their new surroundings.

My wife (31) and I (35) and our 2 kids (Daughter 4 Son 1) are moving to Brisbane on 15th September. We haven't got a clue where we are going to be living as neither of us have jobs yet. I'm a security technician and need to get all my licences in place before I can get a job which will take a month or 2 to sort out. The problem is that we only have 3 weeks to find a place when we get there. PRESSURE PRESSURE lol.

I do like the look of North Lakes and the fact there is a large expat community appeals too as I think it will help Mrs w1 meet people with a common ground. I read earlier on in this thread that people have meet ups around that area every so often, does anyone know if there is going to be one mid/late September?

Regards

W1

There are large expat communities everywhere in Brisbane, but must admit Nothlakes does seem to have the meet-ups, the rest meet by default at work/school/clubs. Could I ask what a 'security technician' is/does?

Good luck with the move.

Keith

There are large expat communities everywhere in Brisbane, but must admit Nothlakes does seem to have the meet-ups, the rest meet by default at work/school/clubs. Could I ask what a 'security technician' is/does?

Good luck with the move.

Keith

Hi Keith,

Thats handy to know thanks.

Sure you can ask but its a trade secret so I'm not telling. Only kidding of course, currently I am responsible for servicing CCTV and access control systems but it can also be installing alarm systems or intercoms etc.

Regards

W1

Hi Keith,

Thats handy to know thanks.

Sure you can ask but its a trade secret so I'm not telling. Only kidding of course, currently I am responsible for servicing CCTV and access control systems but it can also be installing alarm systems or intercoms etc.

Regards

W1

Hi W1, your security work is mainly, but not exclusively related to the electrical/electrician industry, not sure on what exactly you need license/ticket wise for the cctv/security system, but any electrical work definitely needs them, but cannot otherwise see any major problem with you getting work in this field.

cheers.

Hi Keith,

To be able to carry out work in this field in QLD I need a security installers licence and open cablers registration with endorsements for at least structured cabling and coax. Unfortunately for me it is impossible to get these without being in Australia. I have however started the process of getting these sorted for when I arrive and have just booked nearly 2 weeks of classroom courses beginning the week after we arrive.

I have applied for a few jobs but heard nothing back from any of them, I think not meeting their basic criteria (must have licences) and not even being in the country is a big put off for them. I cant understand why lol.

Cheers

w1

Hello Johnstons

Welcome to Brisbane (in mid-September)!

Yes, there are a lot of expats in the suburb of North Lakes and yes OH and I arrange 3 monthly get-togethers in a NL park. The next will be Saturday 2 October, from 2pm til you have to go at the Parkside Park/bbq area, Aurora Boulevard, North Lakes (also known as the Aurora Blvd Park). BYO your own food, drinks, chairs. There's a huge kids playground alongside, so the littlies can be occupied. Free bbqs, if you want to cook (most do). We get about 8-10 families, so enough people to have a chat with, without being too huge that you get to talk to no-one.

OH and I started arranging these get-togethers 18 months ago because we've been through it, too (a few years ago, admittedly) and know how difficult it can be not knowing where things are, where to find them or how to get to them.

If you want more info, feel free to PM me and look forward to seeing you (and any others that want to come along). No 'booking in' or anything formal - it's just a turn up and have a chat with others that will understand what you're going through.

w1johnston, sounds like you have a lot to sort out once you land. We are panicking and there are only 2 of use......5 weeks tomorrow and we are waving good bye to the UK!! Booking container today with £3k ish bill attached otherwise most other things now in hand. Keep in touch even if only via the site.

PatW, although we don't have any kids, myself and my wife may pop along if its an open invite just to introduce ourselves and say hi to everybody, always good to have a network of contacts/friends. Luckily for us we do have some very good friends already in Brisbane and they are already pointing us in the right direction.

S

srg73 - you'd be very welcome. Great to read you do already have friends in Brisbane that are helping out. They can take you to the sight-seeing places, beaches, local mountains and you will be a-m-a-z-e-d - it is a beautiful place. Safe travelling. See you in Oct (spring, so warmer nights, warmer days, probably still dry, blue sky and a very big sky).

If it is general office admin type stuff I would just say apply for everything, send emails visit recruiters etc. Getting the first job will prob be the hardest.

It's a tough market out there. My old company (small firm) used to get over 100 applications for pretty much any role of that nature.

Hello Johnstons

Welcome to Brisbane (in mid-September)!

Yes, there are a lot of expats in the suburb of North Lakes and yes OH and I arrange 3 monthly get-togethers in a NL park. The next will be Saturday 2 October, from 2pm til you have to go at the Parkside Park/bbq area, Aurora Boulevard, North Lakes (also known as the Aurora Blvd Park). BYO your own food, drinks, chairs. There's a huge kids playground alongside, so the littlies can be occupied. Free bbqs, if you want to cook (most do). We get about 8-10 families, so enough people to have a chat with, without being too huge that you get to talk to no-one.

OH and I started arranging these get-togethers 18 months ago because we've been through it, too (a few years ago, admittedly) and know how difficult it can be not knowing where things are, where to find them or how to get to them.

If you want more info, feel free to PM me and look forward to seeing you (and any others that want to come along). No 'booking in' or anything formal - it's just a turn up and have a chat with others that will understand what you're going through.

Hi PatW, thank you for the information. It's very kind of you to organise these get togethers, it will be a great help to meet people who have been through it before and know the areas etc. we will certainly be coming thank you.

@srg73 yeah we still have a fair bit to sort out but we're trying to get as much as we can done before we leave the UK, I've sent off the application for my security licence this week so another step forward. It sounds like you will arrive in Brisbane around the same time as us, how are you managing? Got a place lined up for when you get there? It'll be nice to hear how your getting on and meet up at the get together in NL.

Regards

w1

Edited by w1johnston