6month UK 6 Month Australia

kateNollie

How would parents go about 6months here 6months there.

Would it simply be reapplying for tourist visas every year?

Does anyone do this on this site?

Investment visa of $11000 per applicant is a bit pricy and only lasts 4 years, so I am trying to work out a way that the inlaws could spend as much time with us as possible.

They were hoping to become permanent residents but it looks like they arent able to achieve this, unless someone can tell me differently?

I think if the parents are on UK benefits of any kind they can stay out of the UK for 26 weeks

We are hoping to move back to the UK soon bt spend months at a time back in Oz but there again we are lucky in that we do have dual nationality

Guest Guest26110

My brother rang Sydney immigration yesterday to enquire where my parents might stand regarding being able to stay in Australia. They are too old to apply for the parent visa as they are in their late 70's. The person from immigration told my brother that they could apply whilst onshore (in Australia) for a 15 yr bridging visa which would cost $5000 for both of them. Im thinking if this advice is correct that is fantastic, however it sounds too good to be true. Has anyone heard of this??

My parents did that for 15 years until, at 81 and with a few health problems, they decided the annual trip was too much. They just applied for 6 month tourist visas, arrived in October, left in March. They built a granny flat on our block, bought a car which they left with us, shut up their UK home (had someone going in occasionally to comply with insurance requirements), brought their medications with them for 6 months but got a temp Medicare card anyway, joined the local golf club and lived a perennial summer. At the end of it though, they decided that their old age was better catered for in UK.

My brother rang Sydney immigration yesterday to enquire where my parents might stand regarding being able to stay in Australia. They are too old to apply for the parent visa as they are in their late 70's. The person from immigration told my brother that they could apply whilst onshore (in Australia) for a 15 yr bridging visa which would cost $5000 for both of them. Im thinking if this advice is correct that is fantastic, however it sounds too good to be true. Has anyone heard of this??

I don't know too much about the parent visas, but a bridging visa is used to bridge the gap from one onshore visa to another. So they would have to apply for a proper visa and a bridging visa would then automatically be issued (only if they were onshore when applying). There is a parent visa which has a wait of that sort of time, so I'm guessing that is what they meant. No idea if the cost is right though. Immigration are notorious for giving out bad info.

My parents did that for 15 years until, at 81 and with a few health problems, they decided the annual trip was too much. They just applied for 6 month tourist visas, arrived in October, left in March. They built a granny flat on our block, bought a car which they left with us, shut up their UK home (had someone going in occasionally to comply with insurance requirements), brought their medications with them for 6 months but got a temp Medicare card anyway, joined the local golf club and lived a perennial summer. At the end of it though, they decided that their old age was better catered for in UK.

Can I ask did they have any issues with residency? I assume they must have spent under 6 months out of the UK to maintain UK residency for pensions/tax/healthcare etc.

Can I ask did they have any issues with residency? I assume they must have spent under 6 months out of the UK to maintain UK residency for pensions/tax/healthcare etc.

They don't seem to have had any problems, they were pretty much 6 months to the day each time but maybe just a day or two shy of the 6 months. Their doctors knew what they were doing and gave them 6 months of meds and were very positive about their program. They had to stop 8 yrs ago and apart from the trips which were knocking them about, they found that travel insurance was their biggest disincentive given that they began to have things go wrong although they did still manage one more year after dad had a stroke.

I think this is the visa they are suggesting http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/aged/804/

Check your parents are eligible. It is not a bridging visa - it is an application for PR but the quotas mean long queues and that it takes a long time to get to the decision stage of whether to grant or not. However, if applied for onshore they will obtain a bridging visa whilst their application is being processed.

The other option might be the new parent longer stay tourist visa option. 3-5 year duration, with stays permitted of up to 12 months in any 18 month period.

Hi KateNollie

We met a couple on one of our trips who was spending 6 months a year in each country. They had built a house near Adelaide and had their Australian son look after it while they were away. Their other son looked after their UK house while they were in Oz.

Really though, you should look on the parent's thread for advice - go to migration issues in the forum and you'll find the parent's thread there.

If your parents want to live permenantly in Australia there are visas for parents but they depend on having more of your children in Oz than elsewhere, being sponsored by one of said children, sponsor being settled in Oz (min two years I believe) and promising to provide for parents if necessary, for two years. One route involves a waiting list of about 10-15 years and costs (currently) about 4000 dollars. The other takes about 18 months and costs about 85,000 dollars (for two people) plus a 14,000 dollar bond which is paid back after ten years. My figures may not be absolutely spot on but the costs are around that much - I am a parent who wants to live permenantly there.

If you google 'Australian parent visa' and then look down the different items that come up, you'll see one for the Australian Government site that will take you to parent visas. The details are all there. I wouldnt start reading late at night :-) its better than mogadon.

My mum has a friend who has applied under this visa after spending a long time doing six/six - and she expects to die before the visa ever gets processed, which is okay by her as she gets to live in Oz while it is being processed. Incidentally, the friend was treated for cancer while on a tourist visa. The reason she applied for the permanent move was she was too sick to travel.

I think this is the visa they are suggesting http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/aged/804/

Check your parents are eligible. It is not a bridging visa - it is an application for PR but the quotas mean long queues and that it takes a long time to get to the decision stage of whether to grant or not. However, if applied for onshore they will obtain a bridging visa whilst their application is being processed.

The other option might be the new parent longer stay tourist visa option. 3-5 year duration, with stays permitted of up to 12 months in any 18 month period.

Archived