Humidity

Jems30

Guest Guest26012

Hi, I live in Perth and we don't get much humidity, although we have had the odd day lately and it's been horrid lol! That's cos were not used to it though. I have friends who live in Brisbane who don't really notice it. I guess you get used to it?

Agree with Mad Cow. In all the holidays weve taken, never had humidity. We stopped over in Hong Kong on the way here. Horrrid. Humidity a killer. We had a horrible day here in Perth Monday just gone with humdity. I had 3 changes of clothes before leaving for work.

People live in Brisbane and the other areas associated with humitidy so imagine its just a case of getting on with it

Guest Guest26012
That is what I am hoping, that you just get used to it. What does humidity feel like? lol!!! Here in the UK I guess we don't get it;-)

We were back in the uk for a hol over 3 years ago now, in your summer! We found it really humid as it was 23 deg for the first couple of days! We were stifled lol! It rained the rest of the two weeks. I'm sure you'll be ok!

I spent a couple of months in Gold Coast Summer a couple of years ago; very very humid, but you do get used to it. I didn't even notice how humid it was until I went to Sydney and it was so much clearer. It's ok though, doesn't stop you doing anything, but it might take you a little while to get used to it.

My Aussie friend moved to Brisbane 14 years ago from Melbourne and she always comes down at Christmas. She said that in summer she feels wet all the time and hates it. She would move back tomorrow but her oh is the sticking point.

I hate humidity so not for me. Can make stuff moldy

Horses for courses

We live a few hundred km from Brisbane. Yep it does get very humid - but there is a lot of air con around. If you get a house with good air con then you won't notice the humidity outside. You can pick up good portable air con for a few hundred dollars and it is worth getting this if your house doesn't have good air con. If you are worried about the cost, when you are at work in the day most employers have air con, or spend time in shopping centres if you are going to be a house parent.

Having a swimming pool makes a huge difference as you can jump in when feeling uncomfortable, and this reduces your body temperature for a few hours. If you are going to be living in Brisbane, also look up the theme parks about an hour south. There are some water parks that you can get a fairly reasonable annual ticket for. Your kids will love them.

You will quickly get more used to it though.

Agree with Mad Cow. In all the holidays weve taken, never had humidity. We stopped over in Hong Kong on the way here. Horrrid. Humidity a killer. We had a horrible day here in Perth Monday just gone with humdity. I had 3 changes of clothes before leaving for work.

People live in Brisbane and the other areas associated with humitidy so imagine its just a case of getting on with it

Humidity is relative, just like dry heat. For example, even though Perth and other places in Australia that regularly get those awful 40c fan force oven dry heat days it would still be far better than a place that gets 50c. Same with humidity. I hate the humidity in Asia as well and I live fine in Brisbane. Three changes of clothes before starting work sounds like very extreme humidity. I can't remember doing that. Lucky our temperatures are lower than elsewhere so that keeps it bearable compared to parts of asia. I heard recently that Brisbane hasn't had a 39c day in 10 years but haven't confirmed it.

To the OP, visiting a place with humidity in summer is not the same as living there. You don't wander around looking at tourist attractions at midday if the humidity happens to be up that day. You do things early and late and reserve the middle of the day for air con or pool stuff...you organise your life around it and use different hours in the day for outdoor things. Saying this that is probably no different to how people in 40c dry heat cope as well on an extreme day. We have air conditioning in our house, as does almost everyone I know so that helps. You just have to watch out for rentals as they often will be the houses with no or poor aircon. I think it must be harder to cope with if you are a trades person working outdoors.

The payoff is that our summer #2 occurs the rest of the year when much of Australia is cold we have sunny, dry, pleasant non humid 20c+ days. I would never swap those glorious mild days for a cold, rainy winter, rather put up with some humidity, but then others would...you don't really know until you live it I guess.

It does get hot and humid sometimes, but you do get used to it quite quickly and in the 6 years ive been here ,there havent been many days its been to hot or huimd to stop me doing what i wanted. Good ceiling fans and air con in the car is what i found essential over here, i didnt like air con in the house and still dont use it.

Cal x

How do you cope in the humidity?A few friends have told me it is terribly humid in Brisbane and I won't cope with it. Is it that bad??

Hi Jems30:

Your post struck a chord with me because it reminded me of when we first went to Brisbane back in November1974 to stay with rellies for three months (after having arrived in Adelaide from England ourselves three months before). I couldn't bear the high humidity during those months and couldn't wait to get back to Adelaide, where the climate is very Mediterranean (eg: hot but dry).

Qld humidity works for some, but for me it was a killer.

People kept telling me I'd get used to it, but I never did.

Hope you manage okay. If not, have a look at Adelaide. She's a good old bird!

Happy New Year !!

That is what I am hoping, that you just get used to it. What does humidity feel like? lol!!! Here in the UK I guess we don't get it;-)

You do get humidity in the UK - it is the amount of moisture in the air - but humidity in cold and hot temperatures are very different things.

Some people acclimatise to hot humidity and some don't. My family moved to Tasmania because my English mother could never acclimatise to the humidity in northern New South Wales - even after 8 years. I also meet other "climate refugees" here who have moved from northern states for the same reason.

My experience of humidity in a hot climate is that you feel damp all the time - hot and sweaty. So you have a shower, put on clean dry clothes ..and 5 minutes later they feel damp. It can also have a very enervating effect for some people - I really struggle to get the energy to do anything in hot humidity.

My worst experience of humidity has been in Thailand at the beginning of the wet season. It felt like wading in warm soup.:arghh:

Guest Guest16631

............warm soup.........an apt description......it's very hot and humid here ATM..........and smokey from the fires...........It's not for that long ime that the weather limits what you do.............it's often best to do little or nothing in the middle of the day ,just stay in a cool place.............a fan to move the air and curtains closed helps...........though I leave the windows open if there is a breeze.........do you get used to it...?..............been here over 20 years and still dislike those few hot and humid weeks..............but the weather is beautiful for so much of the year..........it's a small price to pay IMO................good luck with wherever you eventually settle..............tink x

Skani described humidity well! You have to put it into perspective. It is humid a lot of the time in summer, but not unbearable very often, and for most of the year the climate around Brisbane and the Gold Coast is lovely. But you do have to like the sun because you are going to have to live with it, winter or summer in Queensland. You make adjustments, same as you would in the UK to accomodate whatever kind of weather you are suffering from :-)

Nice to see you back Tink.

Humidity is relative, I lived in Brunei for 9 years, high humidity and high temperatures all year round, so I don't have much of a problem living on the sunshine coast. Used to feel cold in Brunei if the temperature dropped to 27 and put on a jumper.

However if you are coming from a colder climate, then it will take some adjusting to. Most people I know have air con here. Ours in on today for only the 2nd time this summer so far.

Some one once said every where has weather for 3 months of the year, be it hot, cold, wet, or freezing, it's the other 9 months that are important.

Its lovely here now, its cooled down nicely and according to BOM we will have another storm like last night. There was awsome thunder and lightening for a while but little of the wet stuff unfortunately..

Cal x

Yeah, after reading this thread before I left work I was quite surprised....was a nice ride home with a pleasant breeze and the paths were packed with joggers and babies and grandparents...I was weaving all over the place :laugh:

I've been pleasantly suprised so far. We've been here 10.5 months. I have been told Feb is the worst month though.

We have a paddling pool which cools us off quickly. Also the local leisure centre pool, library etc.

The only bad time - and this is for heat rather than humidity - is between around 12.30 - 2.30 and we tend to watch a dvd in front of the fan then.

Only used the air-con once so far. Around 37c in the house is my max.

Its lovely here now, its cooled down nicely and according to BOM we will have another storm like last night. There was awsome thunder and lightening for a while but little of the wet stuff unfortunately..

Cal x

Wish the storm would come over this way, could do with a cool down

Archived