Is this enough for one wage?

johns46

Hiya all,

The question on everyone's lips is how much do we need to earn to be comfortable. Wages offered to oh is $89000 dollars for a job which takes him away monday to friday one week and monday to thursday the following week.

What you all think?

Hiya all,

The question on everyone's lips is how much do we need to earn to be comfortable. Wages offered to oh is $89000 dollars for a job which takes him away monday to friday one week and monday to thursday the following week.

What you all think?

$89k is pretty decent.

It depends on the lifestyle you are used to. There is a broad rule of thumb for calculating cost of living. Take your current income and multiply it by 2.5 and that gives the income in dollars you need for the same lifestyle. So, if you currently have an income of 30k pounds, you need $75k here. Though, personally, I think the lower the income the higher the ratio should be.

Where will you be living?

Hiya all,

What you all think?

It is very important to know where you intend to live. $89k in Sydney is VERY different to $89k in Adelaide or Brisbane.

Guest Guest26012

Hi, for one wage, it's good! But not a huge amount if its the only wage! As others have said it all depends on where you are, whether you do private schooling, your expected lifestyle etc. it's do-able as others have managed on a lot less. Have you got enough cash to set up etc? :xmas4:

Perth is where we hoping to settle. I will need to get a job too. I am a staff nurse so hopefully combined wages will be enough to enjoy our lives in OZ or basically its a no go. By the way how much does it cost for schooling out there havnt research that yet.

With thanks.

Perth is where we hoping to settle. I will need to get a job too. I am a staff nurse so hopefully combined wages will be enough to enjoy our lives in OZ or basically its a no go. By the way how much does it cost for schooling out there havnt research that yet.

With thanks.

If its perth then a big no. Your need around 110+ to justify the move , you do not wanna be skint in perth

Guest Guest26012

With thanks.

Ignore that post! He doesn't like Perth so he's a bit bitter lol! I'm in Perth, and I'm a nurse, so I'm sure you will be fine! Pm me if you want any info on jobs etc! :xmas11:

Thanks, will do. How long you been there and what area do you live in? I am a psychiatric nurse oh will find out in two weeks whether he has been sucessful in the job.I have no job yet to go to, how does it look jobwise for psyc nurses there.

Guest guest68546

Mandatory Super payments are 9% of salary so is the $89k the TAP; Total Annual Package (ie which includes Super) or is Super to be paid by the employer on top of the $89k? This will make a difference in budgeting calculations.

Guest Guest26012
Thanks, will do. How long you been there and what area do you live in? I am a psychiatric nurse oh will find out in two weeks whether he has been sucessful in the job.I have no job yet to go to, how does it look jobwise for psyc nurses there.

We have lived here for five years. I'm not a mental health nurse but one of our mods is, her name is Ali. Send her a pm, I'm sure she won't mind, and she's in Perth. :xmas11:

Guest Guest26012
Ok then move to perth on 89000 and tell me how your getting on in 6 months time. Don't forget it will cost you at least $1000 a week just to live in perth without even going out

If you look at the posts then the op is a mental health nurse who will be working too! So they should manage ok financially! :xmas12:

Guest Guest26012

Oh and we live in the northern suburbs.

Hi there.... $89000 quite a good wage if like people are saying your super is not included... www.reiwa.com.au will give you idea on rent or buy... public schools do have costs ...highschool obviously higher than primary...private schools are not as daunting as the uk and loads of people send their kids to one...but it does cost more than public schools....what visa will you be coming on.... this will help to know if you can get financial aid for childcare...school etc.... alot of people survive on a lot less .... and your trade will definitely not have any problems work wise... you look like you will have a good start...a job to come to...plenty of work in your field....

With thanks.

Ok then move to perth on 89000 and tell me how your getting on in 6 months time. Don't forget it will cost you at least $1000 a week just to live in perth without even going out

Many many people live in all the cities of Australia on less than this wage, its called "cutting your cloth according to your means".

Migrating is never easy and most people find it a struggle at first for many reasons, but most get on with it, and they succeed.

If its perth then a big no. Your need around 110+ to justify the move , you do not wanna be skint in perth

Well there will be a second nurses salary so combined maybe $150k? Seems fine to me. And Perth really doesn't look so bad housing cost wise, I would love to have Perth prices over here.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived