I'm listening on line to the number one rating radio 2GB 'Alan Jones' www.2gb.com.au

MARYROSE02

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would love to be able to believe such contradictory beliefs and not be troubled by little inconveniences like facts, logic or reason. I reckon it would make life so much easier.

Yes, life would be so simple (says wistfully).

That's a bit like the argument the Road Haulage Association always puts up about how the UK's area is only made up of about 2 per cent of the land area. Australia might be a big country but most of the poeple are squeezed into a few sprawling, crowded cities, with transport networks, hospitals, housing, etc. already overloaded. Perhaps we should build some new cities far out in the outback just for refugees, but again, where are the doctors, nurses, dentists, etc coming from to look after them.

I agree, that's why I put the part about geographical size in brackets, it's clearly less relevant. But many countries with smaller populations and smaller infrastructures take many more refugees than Australia without any problem. By any objective measure Australia has no problem assimilating the small number of refugees it takes every year.

Change.org only ever campaigns on left wing issues and their campaign against Alan Jones 'won the battle but lost the war.

The ratings may well be based on a relatively small sample of the population but AJ always wins his slot, and neither 2GB, which pays his salary, nor the advertisers would be paying top dollar he only reached 18,000 listeners out of 23 million.

Q & A is always packed out by left-wingers and the panel is always weighted in favour of them too. I don't watch it for that reason. I never had that problem with the Pommie equivalents - Question Time & Any Questions, both on the ABC equivalent - the BBC.

Sure Alan Jones says controversial things, but so do the left-wingers but there is never the level of protest - eg when that activist made a Tweet comment about ?Kath Walker? Had it been AJ who made it, we would never have heard the last of it.

[h=1]Alan Jones gained listeners amid Gillard controversy[/h]DateOctober 30, 2012

[h=3]Scott Ellis[/h]

Despite the fallout from his comment that the prime minister's father "died of shame", Alan Jones came out on top, at least in terms of ratings.

•  
  •  

• Pin It
  • Email article
  • Print
  • Reprints & permissions
  • <iframe id="dcAd-1-3" src="http://ad-apac.doubleclick.net/adi/onl.smh.ent/ent/tvandradio;cat=ent;cat1=tvandradio;ctype=article;sz=120x50;tile=3;ord=4.7725817E7?" width='120' height='50' scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" allowtransparency="true" frameborder="0"> </iframe>

[h=4]Ads by Google[/h][h=4]Macquarie University[/h]www.infoday.mq.edu.au

Come to our Info Day - 3 Jan 2013. Join us from 9am - 4pm.

Sydney712aw-620x349.jpgNielsen Sydney Radio Survey #7 for survey period: Sun Jul 29 ? Sat Sep 1 and Sun Sep 16 ? Sat Oct 20, 2012

Radio host Alan Jones of 2GB was at the centre of a storm over comments about the prime minister last month but the controversy doesn't appear to have done his ratings any harm.

In the seventh and penultimate Nielsen radio survey for the year, Jones, who came under fire for repeating a remark that Prime Minister Julia Gillard's father had "died of shame", at a gathering of Liberal Party members in September, still convincingly won his timeslot, even gaining 0.5 per cent.

I guess a lot of the criticism that was directed toward 2GB was coming from groups who are not our listeners.

Jones had 17.3 per cent of the audience for 2GB from 5.30am to 9am, well ahead of second-placed ABC702 (13.1 per cent), with 2DAYFM in third place (12.1 per cent).

art-353-alan-jones-300x0.jpgAlan Jones Photo: Andrew Meares

This ratings period, from Sunday July 29 to Saturday September 1 and Sunday September 16 to Saturday October 20, includes three weeks of the fallout from Jones's "died of shame" comments.

Advertisement <iframe id="dcAd-1-4" src="http://ad-apac.doubleclick.net/adi/onl.smh.ent/ent/tvandradio;cat=ent;cat1=tvandradio;ctype=article;pos=3;sz=300x250;tile=4;ord=4.7725817E7?" width='300' height='250' scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" allowtransparency="true" frameborder="0"> </iframe>

Despite calls for his sacking, a desertion (for a while at least) by advertisers and at one stage a suspension of advertising by Macquarie Radio Network in damage control, Jones recorded the biggest ratings gain in his timeslot.

A 2GB spokesperson said the ratings were little surprise. "This result was really consistent with our expectations, we did conduct some research ourselves earlier this month that really showed our listeners were likely to remain loyal and they have," he said.

"I guess a lot of the criticism that was directed toward 2GB was coming from groups who are not our listeners."

Overall, the survey showed few surprises, with 2GB the comprehensive winner with 15.5 per cent of the audience (5.30am to midnight), followed by ABC702 on 11 per cent, 2DAYFM on 9.5 per cent, Nova 96.9 on 7.3 per cent and WSFM on 7.2 per cent.

Almost everyone found something to be positive about however, with 2DayFM quick to celebrate 50 consecutive surveys as the number one FM station in Sydney (despite a drop of 0.3 per cent this time) and DMG Radio enthusiastic that Nova climbed by 0.7 per cent to beat rivals WSFM, which dropped 0.4 per cent, while another of its stations, SmoothFM, made its third consecutive rise since launching on May 21.

"We love it!" said group program director for DMG Radio Australia Paul Jackson, saying the rise showed SmoothFM was finally gaining momentum.

"For a station (SmoothFM) that's only been around for five months to beat heritage brands like Mix and TripleM is outstanding.

"We're playing music nobody else is playing in a format nobody else is doing ... and people are responding."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/alan-jones-gained-listeners-amid-gillard-controversy-20121030-28gs4.html#ixzz2EzbfN4ve

I agree, that's why I put the part about geographical size in brackets, it's clearly less relevant. But many countries with smaller populations and smaller infrastructures take many more refugees than Australia without any problem. By any objective measure Australia has no problem assimilating the small number of refugees it takes every year.

Which ones?

Alan Jones gained listeners amid Gillard controversy

Yes...because there was a concerted campaign by people who were disgusted by his comments to track the advertisers and target them. So they would listen each morning and report which companies advertised and in which time slot.

And people who tolerate his attitudes are not going to change...as said before, they are "rusted on".

And even so - Sydney isn't Australia. He may rate 4% higher than the next station in Sydney...but most people in Australia don't listen to him. You would need to have a broadcast network in which every station in Australia broadcast country-wide in order to determine who was the most popular presenter.

Yes...because there was a concerted campaign by people who were disgusted by his comments to track the advertisers and target them. So they would listen each morning and report which companies advertised and in which time slot.

And people who tolerate his attitudes are not going to change...as said before, they are "rusted on".

And even so - Sydney isn't Australia. He may rate 4% higher than the next station in Sydney...but most people in Australia don't listen to him. You would need to have a broadcast network in which every station in Australia broadcast country-wide in order to determine who was the most popular presenter.

His show, like Ray Hadley's, is networked around much of Australia, which you would know if you ever listened to 2GB, but that is one of the ironies. A lady from Queensland rang him this morning. Ray Hadley always lists all the stations he broadcasts to throughout 'the Macquarie Network. The people who hate him most, like the people who hate the Murdoch Press, never listen to 2GB, nor read 'Rupert's' newspapers. That is why his show is so popular with advertisers who of course want a national audience.

Alan Jones also does a lot of uncredited charity work which he does not boast about, and which his denigrators care nothing about. Last night he was at a disabled charity in Lidcombe.

What is wrong with being 'rusted on' anyway. I'm 'rusted on' to The Beatles and The Stones, and Tottenham Hotspur. Once you find something you like, why not stick with it?

If what you say about the ratings is true, then next year, he and Ray will crash, but somehow I doubt it, not when AJ has won 99 surveys in a row and RH is on 69.

Yes I like Neil Mitchell a lot.

Melbournians don't like the shock jock style much. Derryn Hinch is probably our equivalent. I liked him a lot, unfortunately they just sacked him.

Love the breakfast show Ross and John.

Yeah, I agree. Ross and John from 5.30-8.30 mornings on 693 3AW are the best thing on Oz radio. They never get into politics. I'm going to miss them now they have started their Christmas break.

His show, like Ray Hadley's, is networked around much of Australia,

I discovered that during the recent furore. Must admit I had never heard anyone refer to it here ...never heard it on taxi or shop radios or know anyone who has listened. I'd say that, for most of the country outside Sydney, he's a blip except when he's in hot water and makes the national news.

Alan Jones also does a lot of uncredited charity work which he does not boast about, and which his denigrators care nothing about.

Good on him. (Our local ABC presenters do charity work too - and no one mentions that). But it doesn't justify him making vicious attacks on others.

I don't expect his ratings to drop...but, to get back to the beginning of this thread, I wouldn't like prospective migrants to tune in from overseas and think he was representative of the country as a whole.

How can you be sure that he doesn't represent the view of the majority of Australians? I'd say that if his show is the top rating one, and has been for a number of years, then most people agree with him.

I'd say to any Pommie who enjoys listening to TalkSport or Five Live, tune in to Alan, Ray, Chris et al, and you'll feel right at home.

Change.org only ever campaigns on left wing issues.... packed out by left-wingers....left-wingers.

Well you're definitely drinking Alan Jones Koolaid. Essentially anyone with an alternative opinion is a communist and that's the end of the argument because even if a communist says 2+2=4 it still must be wrong because he's a COMMUNIST!!11!!!1!

facepalm02.jpg

facepalm02.jpg

How can you be sure that he doesn't represent the view of the majority of Australians? [/Quote]

How can you be so sure that he does? That's where you started, back on page 1. This is always the conceit of the Right; they can't bring themselves to believe that everyone doesn't think like them really, behind closed doors, they're just too scared to admit it beacause of some mythical "liberal elite" that oppress them.

I'd say that if his show is the top rating one, and has been for a number of years, then most people agree with him.

Would only make sense if his ratings were a majority or a really sizeable significant minority, which they are not. He's just got the biggest mouth and the most sponsorship. There's a reason "shock jocks" take the tack they do - outrage sells

How can you be sure that he doesn't represent the view of the majority of Australians? I'd say that if his show is the top rating one, and has been for a number of years, then most people agree with him.

If his listener ratings are 15% of the Sydney audience, that means he doesn't represent the views of 85%.

All I can say is that I am glad to be back in the UK where even Jeremy Kyle sounds like a voice of moderation and open mindedness compared to the lynch mob dross on the airwaves in Sydney. Alan Jones is a demagogue. He has a knack for sounding like he knows what he's talking about. I once heard him talking about the Australian health system, a subject I happen to know to know a bit about from my work. What he said was complete rubbish, but it sounded so convincing I almost believed it myself. He's a con man.

This shows quite a shocking ignorance of both basic English and maths (specifically statistics).

Here is the Oxford English Dictionary definition of most:

Definition of most

determiner & pronoun

• greatest in amount or degree: [as determiner]: they’ve had the most success [as pronoun]: she had the most to lose

• the majority of; nearly all of: [as determiner]: the two-pin sockets found in most European countries

Now for most people to listen to him (I'll come to agree with him later) he would need to be listened to by the majority of the population. Yes he has the most listened to programme - but there are hundreds, if not thousands of radio programs so statistically most of the radio-listening population is listening to a different programme. Plus the large number of the population who do not listen to any radio programmes further pushes his listeners into tiny minority status.

Now how do you know that even all his listeners agree with him? People do not always agree with all the media they consume. The other night I watched a documentary (on the evil commie ABC 2) about the Westboro Baptist Church - this doesn't mean I believe that funerals of soldiers killed in Afghanistan should be picketed because "God Hates Fags!". I read and watch a variety of media and try and come to my own conclusions. I admit many of his listeners will agree with him, and also many people who don't listen to his show will agree with his views also. But it is a huge leap into the unknown to assume the views of thousands of people that you've never met or spoken to.

The rest of your posts show quite a closed mind - anyone who disagrees with you is necessarily wrong and has the worst intentions. This is a terrible way to live life and unfortunately seems to be becoming more common. The (London) Daily Telegraph many years ago had an advertising campaign - "I disagree with most of it; I read all of it". I thought that was brilliant but doubt it would happen now. With the rise of websites and comments below articles media (especially newspapers) seem to be "playing up" to what they see as their key audience.

This can only be bad as ideas need to be rigourously tested by open debate and listening to all sides of the arguement - otherwise you end up with group-think, poor decision making and lack of intellectual rigour. Bizarrely all this is happening when there is actually very little ideological or policy differences between parties in politics. Look at Australia:

An authoritarian party, economically believes in some protectionism mixed with free market capitalism, tax should be raised on income - no GST raise even though tax base needs widening for state infrastructure, no land taxes despite economy being harmed by property boom, believes in privitisation and government subsidy of private health, private childcare and private schools, believes the government should return to surplus even if it damages the wider economy and costs far more in the medium to long term, believes the boats should be turned back and harsh penalties / sanctions on asylum seekers, believes in middle class welfare and first time buyer home grants even when proved these just fuel unsustainable booms (particularly in property where they really distort the market), embroiled in all sorts of corruption, especially linked to property development, support Coal Seam Gas exploration

Am I describing the ALP or the Liberal / National Coalition? I think you'll find it's both.

But then I'm just a stupid commie who would say things like this aren't I?

I think the major flaw in the argument lies with the fact that it is a Sydney show and elsewhere, including Australia's second biggest city, most people or no people listen to him. I know some Sydney people seem to think that they are Australia and everyone else just follows them with their attitudes and opinions but the fact of the matter is that he is only the top rating talk radio presenter in Sydney not everywhere else.

Why on earth would anybody listen to a DJ with views they did not agree with? It's illogical, like listening to music you hate, or watching a sport you hate. Some people, me, oddly enough, enjoy reading all the newspapers. In Sydney, I like both the SMH and The Aussie. In the UK, I usually bought The Times or The Independent, but I was happy to read The Daily Telegraph. The Guardian had good sport but I did not like their political views.

Many people who read the SMH and watch/listen to the ABC despise people who like 2GB, hence the disparaging remarks about them being old, white, middle-class, living in the Western Subs. Perhaps if Q & A went on a 'roadshow' and did a few episodes at Blacktown Workers, or Penrith Panthers, you might see a more balanced show.

I know from experience that people who are, for example, pro-Israel, Climate Change sceptic. concerned about the level of 'boat people, pro USA, will not get equal coverage on the ABC.

If 702 and it's equivalent stations were consistently number one in their State markets, I'm sure you would be telling me that they reflected the views of the majority of Aussies.

As far as the rest of Australia is concerned, well, Alan Jones and Ray Hadley shows are syndicated across other parts of Australia. I think that the Macquarie Radio Network, which owns 2GB and 2CH also owns 3AW, 4BH, 5DN, 6PR and in Canberra and Wollongong, 2CA and 2UL. I don't live there, but if they ARE owned by Macquarie, and they ARE talkback shows, and they are the top rating shows in their markets, well, I would assume that they reflect the views of the majority of listeners in their markets.

I would repeat my recommendation for any prospective migrant to Australia to go online have a listen to the output of radio shows like Alan Jones - or the popular shows in the area you are migrating to. It will give you an idea of the kind of stuff Australians are talking about and what they get worked up about. Australians seem to have an appetite for this shock jock/political rant stuff. Personally I'd rather listen to Steve Wright in the Afternoon (and I used to hate Steve Wright, but he seems like harmless fun after the ranting and whingeing of Aussie radio). Would-be migrants should also try listen to the output of Kyle Sandilands to get an idea of popular radio for younger Aussies. Not sure why he is so popular, he seems like a crass, egotistical bully to me, but obviously people are tuning in. Me, when I listen to the radio I just want to listen to some decent music and people being mildly funny, not political rants and DJ duos who do stunts or who bully callers. It's a problem when you do those long drives in Australia - what to listen to on the car radio? Something that's not going to drive you nuts or send you to sleep. Last time I drove from Melbourne to Sydney I managed to get Mark Trevorrow (who plays Bob Downe) on the ABC. Was good till he faded out (perhaps appropriately) near Ettamogah.

I would repeat my recommendation for any prospective migrant to Australia to go online have a listen to the output of radio shows like Alan Jones - or the popular shows in the area you are migrating to. It will give you an idea of the kind of stuff Australians are talking about and what they get worked up about. Australians seem to have an appetite for this shock jock/political rant stuff. Personally I'd rather listen to Steve Wright in the Afternoon (and I used to hate Steve Wright, but he seems like harmless fun after the ranting and whingeing of Aussie radio). Would-be migrants should also try listen to the output of Kyle Sandilands to get an idea of popular radio for younger Aussies. Not sure why he is so popular, he seems like a crass, egotistical bully to me, but obviously people are tuning in. Me, when I listen to the radio I just want to listen to some decent music and people being mildly funny, not political rants and DJ duos who do stunts or who bully callers. It's a problem when you do those long drives in Australia - what to listen to on the car radio? Something that's not going to drive you nuts or send you to sleep. Last time I drove from Melbourne to Sydney I managed to get Mark Trevorrow (who plays Bob Downe) on the ABC. Was good till he faded out (perhaps appropriately) near Ettamogah.

Why not podcast stuff from 5live and play that in the car? Alternatively Radio National is pretty good, especially when they're not doing documentaries or extended interviews with religious/spiritual people

Archived