Hair falling out!!!

Whizzkidd

Hi all.

A bit of an unusual subject but have any other ladies experienced hair loss after emigrating to Oz??

Mine has been fairly dramatic and seems to be mostly from the sides of my hairline and has definitely become worse as the weather has become warmer (we are in Melbourne).

Does anyone know of any reason or cure???

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi bunbury61

It could be emotional stress only been here 4 months however just have a feeling could be climate and water change as the same thing happened to me years ago whilst living in Dubai!! Hair was restored as soon as I moved back to UK!!! Not too fussed on going to doctors at the moment!!!!

Yes! Mine happened 3 months after moving here. At first I thought it was the mix up of seasons but way too much for that.

Pretty sure it was a reaction to all the stress of the move which happened very quickly.

Also remembered that I had the same 3 months after having both my children.

It lasted 2 or 3 months but it is growing back now and I have quite a few new tufts of hair.

Hair loss is common for lots of reasons, post childbirth can be one due to changes in hormones during pregnancy that cause additional hair to grow, this is lost once hormones regulate afterwards. Coming of a contraceptive pill can have a similar affect, the difference here is that you wouldn't have necessarily grown more hair whilst taking it, but the hormonal changes in the 2-3 months after stopping the pill can cause similar affects.

A significant change in temp can cause this temporary affect, as can exposing a scalp to lots of hot sun as this can cause damage to follicles, similar to using hair straighteners. Stress is indeed another factor. Dehydration or vitamin deficiencies are other common factors, while the body retains both water and vitamins for more vital roles, it depletes areas it considers less essential, e.g. hair.

One thing you could try, and will mean no medication, is pre pregnancy vitamins. The brand Swisse are quite good, the ones with the pink lid. Don't expect immediate effect, but 6 weeks should be enough for any depletion to be addressed.

It could be a combo of lots of these things! A stressful move, to a hot climate, being outdoors more and not drinking enough....

I would prob only be really worried if it lasted more than one month after addressing the issues suggested above.

Guest Guest26012
Hair does naturally thin with age as the hormones necessary for its regrowth reduce.

It does thin with age! I have very fine hair, but lots of it! But it looks thicker than its ever looked, do you know what I mean?

Hi all.

A bit of an unusual subject but have any other ladies experienced hair loss after emigrating to Oz??

Mine has been fairly dramatic and seems to be mostly from the sides of my hairline and has definitely become worse as the weather has become warmer (we are in Melbourne).

Does anyone know of any reason or cure???

Thanks in advance for any help.

yeh my hair is still falling out, pre-pregnancy and post pregnancy....not much now that i use Nioxin 7 cause I have thick hair still (thank god)

think it is a seasonal thing - I had a few years ago and I think did go to the Dr about it. Sure they said there are times of year when it comes out more than others and you have just changed from one season to another. Can confirm the hormone theory too - Mother had a hysterectomy and hair loss was one of the side effects so she took hormone pills to help.

I went through a stressful three months last year and I had loads of hair failing out. Since then I got the visa, have had to prepare myself to say good bye to my sick mom, go travelling to weddings abroad with people I didn't really want to spend time with - big sense of no control and spend lots of money .spent last four weeks doing manic packing.

I think prolonged stress has continued to cause the thinning but I also have a really tight scalp from the stresses. So booking a couple of head massages before I fly in January as they are cheaper here. So my suggestion is head scalp massage Indian style.

Mine does from time to time, luckily I have very thick, dark hair so it isn't noticeable. I do notice an increase in the amount all over the bathroom and on the Hoover roller though! I can usually put it down to having gone through a stressful time.

Archived