Finally, I arrive in Hobart

Strick

I received my permanent residency back in January, on a Tassie state sponsored visa, and it's taken me all this time to finally arrive in town. I've been on a mini-tour of Oz, taking in the areas I'd not been on my previous visits, notably, the national parks around Sydney and Koszikusko and the Snowy Mountains. I have just spent 6 nights in Melbourne trying to desperately put off the boring stuff, like finding a job, a house, a life but in the end it couldn't wait any longer and I jumped on the 'Spirit of Tasmania' on Saturday night. Now I'm not sure what hit me....

I suppose Hobart is similar to what I imagined. It's certainly a contrast after Melbourne, a city I love and had a hard time dragging myself away from. At first glance the centre reminded me a lot of Exeter or a big Falmouth, which was disconcerting as I lived in the West Country for 17 years and if that was what I was after I'd have just moved back West from London, not to the other side of the world.

Things improved - but not the weather - when I walked up to the Cascade Brewery via Sandy Bay. The views were great and I liked the colourful, old weather board houses that reminded me a little of a mini-San Francisco. I also liked the roaring forest that grew right up to the Brewery. I love forests. In fact, they were in the main reason I moved to Tasmania.

I have emigrated as a single person and, although I do have a bit of money from selling my flat in London, I have decided to strip it all back to basics and rent a room in a shared house for a while. I'm 43, but can still live like a student if required. It helps that I'm really immature... It also gives me great flexibility as to where to live. I couldn't help noticing up at the Brewery today that the suburbs on the other side of the river seemed to retain the evening sun a lot longer than that particular area. Is that normal and just the shadow of the mountain?

I'm rambling and a little lost, but any additional advice would be gratefully received. Not just where to live, I'm also looking for a job in disability services or welfare work, but I'm willing to try my hand at anything. I need the money. I feel I'm hemmoraging cash. I'm m also in the market for an old Toyota Hiace or similar, with a view to making a camper.

Thanks in advance,

Rick

Hi there Hobart will certainly be quite a contrast from Melbourne! It is a lovely place though and I found people to be very friendly there. This is a link to Dept of Human Services to help get you started on the job front - http://www.dhhs.tas.gov.au/ Good luck

Thanks for the link. It does seem there are quite a bit of work available in the disability support area in Tasmmania.

I'm in the library on Murray St right now buffing my CV!

I must say the 15 degree weather is coming as quite a shock after 5 weeks on the mainland, not sure I'm enjoying the constant "off and onning" of layers thing. I went out this morning into bright sunshine, but it was somehow raining at the same time. What's that all that about?

It does seem a little perverse that I have passed through Sydney, Canberra and Melbourne where the economy is going great guns to here, where things are a lot flatter. But Tassie was the only state that sponsored me so I'm gonna give it my best shot. It's lucky that I'm a bush walker and and outdoors nut, or otherwise the temptation to stay in Melbourne would have been overwhelming.

I have arrived in Tasmania at the beginning of summer: the best time. I'm gonna give it at least three months and see where I am around March time. If things have not picked up then I'll probably do the old moonlight flit thing across the water, but I intend to give Tasmania a chance.

Hi,

I've just applied for SS with Tassie and I'm anxiously waiting for the decision. I don't have a job offer but I do have interest from a couple of companies.

I was asked last week what I'd do to support my family If I don't get work straight away. I listed savings, equity in my home etc, but I'm still waiting.

You obviously got in pre-skillselect, but did you find that they were particularly fussy?

Any encouraging words would be gratefully received.

Cheers

It does seem a little perverse that I have passed through Sydney, Canberra and Melbourne where the economy is going great guns.

If it makes you feel any better, "great guns" is not how I would describe the Sydney & NSW economy. Pretty flat would be more accurate, depending on sector. A resonable amount of employment for many but some sectors (retail but not as bad as previously, domestic construction, commercial building, transport, tourism) in fairly poor shape. Melbourne I know from data more than personal experience but not exactly boom town there either

Hi,

I've just applied for SS with Tassie and I'm anxiously waiting for the decision. I don't have a job offer but I do have interest from a couple of companies.

I was asked last week what I'd do to support my family If I don't get work straight away. I listed savings, equity in my home etc, but I'm still waiting.

You obviously got in pre-skillselect, but did you find that they were particularly fussy?

Any encouraging words would be gratefully received.

Cheers

I don't even know what pre-skillselect is so I presume I must have got in before it was introduced.

To be frank, I was amazed that Tassie sponsored me I the first place. I think I was off-list. The sponsorship came through so fast, within hours, that it actually arrived before I sent it off on account of the fact that I got on a plane to San Francisco just after I did the form!!:err: I waffled lyrically a lot about what a great place Tasmania was and it seemed to do the trick.

I did not attempt to find a job before I arrive as I wouldn't mind having a crack at something different. I also wanted to travel for a month or so on the mainland and visit the Snowies and the mountainous areas of NSW.

I am sure your application will be successful. I hope you remembered to add a good dollop of good old-fashioned BS? - it seemed to do the trick for me!

I appreciate the comments about the relative flatness of the NSW/VIC econonies, however the fact that those cities are nearly 20 times bigger than Hobart has got to count for something!

Thanks for the info. In case you're curious, skillselect is the new way to apply for visas post July 2012 (I think).

I'm a bit nervey about it though as I looked into the figures for SS visas granted since August this year, effectively when the new system kicked in, and Tassie don't seem to have granted many. In fact they granted none in August.

This made me think either they're very strict or nobody's applying to them.

Hi Rick

Welcome to Hobart, though, not on one of the best days we've had for a while,lol.

I can't help you with a job or even a car, but if you want a good haircut in a friendly barbers, then come to my shop Jacko's Clip Joint at Moonah, and I'll give you a good Poms in Oz discount when you come through.

I'm sure you'll love Hobart, and good luck on the job front.

Chris x

Hi Rick

Welcome to Hobart, though, not on one of the best days we've had for a while,lol.

I can't help you with a job or even a car, but if you want a good haircut in a friendly barbers, then come to my shop Jacko's Clip Joint at Moonah, and I'll give you a good Poms in Oz discount when you come through.

I'm sure you'll love Hobart, and good luck on the job front.

Chris x

Thanks Chris!

I might just take you up on the discount offer. The last haircut I had was from a bloke up near Victoria Markets in Melbourne who didn't speak any English and his clippers were none too sharp either! Cheap, but not the best I've ever had.

Yes, I didn't expect to be rugged up in a T-Shirt, wind-shirt and a fleece during the Australian summer and still feel the chill. I walked across the bridge tonight at 8:00PM and did well not to be blown over the side. Tell me it's not normally this cold in December? My phone is saying me that it feels like 3.5 degrees outside right now, with the wind chill factor, which is an improvement on the 1.5 degrees it was telling me earlier......

At present, my feelings towards Hobart are changing just as frequently as the weather, but we'll see how it goes.

Hi Strick,

I am not sure exactly what your qualifications are however Rosny Park are advertising for 'Intake Officers' requiring welfare work background. Check it out on http://www.seek.com.au

From my experience, you need a good set of thermal base layers living in Tassie and these might be utilised at any time of the year. You will get sunshine too, its just not as consistent as the 'mainland'.

Enjoy the outdoors, you are in the right place for it.

Hi Strick,

I am not sure exactly what your qualifications are however Rosny Park are advertising for 'Intake Officers' requiring welfare work background. Check it out on www.seek.com.au

From my experience, you need a good set of thermal base layers living in Tassie and these might be utilised at any time of the year. You will get sunshine too, its just not as consistent as the 'mainland'.

Enjoy the outdoors, you are in the right place for it.

Thanks Tuosist,

I will definitely put an application in for one of these posts.

I have arranged a meeting with the resettlement people for next Monday. These are the same guys who manage the skilled migration sponsorship, so I might get to the bottom of why they haven't handed out any new state sponsored visas since August!

The weather recently has been pretty changeable but we did have a couple of 30 degree days last week.

We've been here a year now and whilst the weather isn't as consistently hot as the mainland it's in a whole different league to British weather :) To be honest we like having seasons and Tassie has that.

Re jobs, the best two links for your area are already on this topic. The broader state government job site is here http://www.jobs.tas.gov.au/ which includes health and human services. If you're looking to try something new though, all the other govt. departments advertise there. I'd also suggest getting in front of an employment agent if you can. I don't know any in your field, but in my field (IT) they're very helpful.

Good luck - and I hope you grow to love Tassie. A big Falmouth isn't a bad description for Hobart but there's all I want from a city here - plus Melbourne is an hour away on the plane.

Hi Rick

So the weather seems as though it's going to be picking up a bit now according to the local forcast, so you can at least enjoy a bit of lovely sunshine while you're job hunting!

We've just picked my mum and dad up from the airport yesterday for a 3 month stay, so obviously we'll be keeping busy on the entertainment front for a good while.

Might do a bit of fishing at midway point tomorrow, and see if we can catch enough flathead for a feed!

Chris x

I couldn't help noticing up at the Brewery today that the suburbs on the other side of the river seemed to retain the evening sun a lot longer than that particular area. Is that normal and just the shadow of the mountain?

Yes, of course. The sun always sets behind Mt. Wellington so the areas closest to the mountain on the eastern side lose the sun first.

I must say the 15 degree weather is coming as quite a shock after 5 weeks on the mainland, not sure I'm enjoying the constant "off and onning" of layers thing. I went out this morning into bright sunshine, but it was somehow raining at the same time. What's that all that about?

If you'd arrived on Thursday of last week it was 30 degrees, and 34 the next day: the weather can be variable here, to say the least. The raining while sunny thing occurs because of a small passing shower directly above not large enough to block out the sun - especially if its shining on you from an angle.

Re jobs, the best two links for your area are already on this topic. The broader state government job site is here http://www.jobs.tas.gov.au/ which includes health and human services. If you're looking to try something new though, all the other govt. departments advertise there. I'd also suggest getting in front of an employment agent if you can. I don't know any in your field, but in my field (IT) they're very helpful.

Good luck - and I hope you grow to love Tassie. A big Falmouth isn't a bad description for Hobart but there's all I want from a city here - plus Melbourne is an hour away on the plane.

runslikeafish,

thanks for your advice. I have now submitted quite a few applications for 'proper jobs'. Your blog is a tremendous resource for potential migrants to Australia and I have read all your entries (not many recently though, probably a good sign!) Particularly helpful on coffee recommendations, though I would have to add: Villino and Ecru on Criterion Street, OOmph! on Liverpool St and Doctor Coffee on Salamanca.

Hi Rick

Might do a bit of fishing at midway point tomorrow, and see if we can catch enough flathead for a feed!

Chris x

Chris,

I'm interested in getting into Fishing and those Flatheads are delicious. When your less busy with family stuff would you consider showing me the ropes? I walked passed your Barbers the other night (closed) and I'll definitely look you up.

If you'd arrived on Thursday of last week it was 30 degrees, and 34 the next day: the weather can be variable here, to say the least. The raining while sunny thing occurs because of a small passing shower directly above not large enough to block out the sun - especially if its shining on you from an angle.

At least the weather has picked up now - it was quite a shock earlier in the week, especially after 5 weeks on the mainland. Last night I went to an Open Evening at the Tasmania Police Academy in Rokeby and saw first hand how much dryer and brighter it was in that part of town compared to the South Hobart area.

The trouble with my line of work is that applications take ages to process with all the police checks and policies and procedures that need to be followed. It's the same in the UK. In my London council, if we gave someone a job tomorrow, we would be unlikely to see them turn up for their first day at work for another three months or so. I really need a job now and have started to feel that I'm haemorrhaging cash. I might have to go fruit picking and fight it out with the backpackers. I wouldn't mind getting my hands dirty.

Hi Rick

We will arrive in Hobart next week after 2 months in Sri Lanka - I just hope we have brought enough woolly jumpers! We are going to be in the same situation as you are - needing to find a place to live, a vehicle and eventually employment.

I am assuming that you look on www.gumtree.com.au/s-hobart/ for vehicles, accomodarion and employment etc. There are also a few realestate websites that will give you details of accomodation according to what you are looking for, from a room in a shared house, to a 7 bedroomed mansion! www.realestate.com.au/, www.domain.com.au.

[h=2]There are probably more out there that I don't know about.

Good luck anyway!

Aly[/h]

Hi Rick

We will arrive in Hobart next week after 2 months in Sri Lanka - I just hope we have brought enough woolly jumpers! We are going to be in the same situation as you are - needing to find a place to live, a vehicle and eventually employment.

I am assuming that you look on www.gumtree.com.au/s-hobart/ for vehicles, accomodarion and employment etc. There are also a few realestate websites that will give you details of accomodation according to what you are looking for, from a room in a shared house, to a 7 bedroomed mansion! www.realestate.com.au/, www.domain.com.au.

There are probably more out there that I don't know about.

Good luck anyway!

Aly

Yes, I have looked at the sites you mentioned and I'm looking at at car from Gumtree tomorrow. I would really like a van/campervan but if I get a job that involves driving all over the place am I gonna feel like a tool forever turning up in a camper? I might go for a Ford Falcon/Holden Commodore/Toyota Camry station wagon that I can camp out in if need be.

I am reluctant to commit to a long contract on a room in Hobart right now in case I have to bite the bullet and head out fruit picking just to make ends meet.

Have you got jobs lined up? Give me a shout when you get to Tasmania and we'll go out for a drink. The trick is to know where the Happy Hours are. This lunch time I almost spent $16 (£10) on a bottle of craft beer but managed to wriggle out of it at the last moment and made my excuses and left.

How much???!!!!

Will do, it would be great and obviously you already know where to find the cheapest grog! We are looking for something similar vehicle wise - a station wagon. Its difficult to decide on the type of vehicle as you say, it depends on what you need it for. I have spent a few nights in a station wagon before!

Personally, I don't have anything lined up work wise, but my hubby is an artist and has always works from home. I want to get back into part time stuff working with intellectually challenged adults, which is what I used to do.

Where are you staying at the moment?

We have arranged an appartment in New Town for the first two weeks after we arrive, it was the cheapest thing I could find!

Ultimately, we want a long term lease, preferably a bit rural (as long as we can get internet access) but comuntable to Hobart. I think we might struggle with that!

Looking forwards to having a beer with you!

Aly

Ultimately, we want a long term lease, preferably a bit rural (as long as we can get internet access) but comuntable to Hobart. I think we might struggle with that!

Aly

A bit rural, commutable to Hobart, and with internet access shouldn't be a problem.