Finally, I arrive in Hobart

Strick

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Violethaze,

I'm still in Hobart and having a good time. Socially, things are going great and I've met a lot of nice people. I think one week I went to two barbecues, one birthday party and a dinner party. I spent Christmas in Launceston and then went on the Overland Track for 6 days, which is why I've been a bit quiet.

I'm still not working, but didn't really expect to be. It's very slow in the public sector at this time of the yet and the police checks here take almost as long as London at 6 weeks.

I think I will stay in Tasmania. Still not a big fan of the weather. Today is 33 degrees but so windy my hat blew away 3 times in the street and I had to risk life and limb in the street retrieving it. There's something about the windy weather that doesn't sit well with me and makes me feel strangely anxious. I'm told you get used to it.

However, Tasmania is very beautiful and I can easily understand why those in employment here have a nice lifestyle and often live better than those on the mainland in terms of price of real estate, lower rents and those indefinable things like proximity to the city centre and great views.

Hi violethaze

just been so busy socializing over the xmas and new year! We have been staying at Battery Point, so have watched the yatchs come in from the sydney to hobart, been kept away most nights by the party goers at the taste festival! We have just got a unit in midway point, so we will be moving over the next few days, also looking to buy a fridge and a couch!

What is your story?

[quote=Strick;1936069142

Today is 33 degrees but so windy my hat blew away 3 times in the street and I had to risk life and limb in the street retrieving it. There's something about the windy weather that doesn't sit well with me and makes me feel strangely anxious. I'm told you get used to it.

It's not usually this windy. I think many people have your reaction to these winds...I know I do.

hi and it's good to read your updates on what is the hottest day in 130 years!

My story is that I am a kiwi but have spent as much time out of NZ as I have in it now, but with my time in NZ being in my formative years (until 18 and then again at 21, and from 24 to 26, I have a real tie to NZ. I've spent I don't know how many years based in the UK on and off (over 14 years, and then I lost track), then a couple of years in Asia.

My parents (originally from the UK) moved from NZ to Queensland after I left NZ so I don't really know where my home is. I've been in Melbourne for the past couple of years, but I'm ready to move on. I've considered, and come close to, moving to Darwin, Busselton (WA), the Sunshine Coast and Newcastle, NSW, and have considered almost everywhere else. Up until a few weeks ago I was still looking at moving back to NZ and posting on forums about that!

HOWEVER, Tasmania has definitely captured my attention in the last few years and I decided that despite others' experiences of difficulty finding work, I'm going to move there when my current role ends (temping as I just left a rolling contract job). I'll have to make it work in Tasmania because it actually IS where I want to be. And if push comes to shove, and things become desperate, I can always pop over to Melbourne for a three month temping stint to earn some more money. I want to live in Tasmania!

So, I am really interested to hear what everyone's experiences are and how they are settling in.

People in Australia so often mention the negatives about Tasmania, but I think a certain type of person chooses to move there and that type of person is my type of person! And, as today proves, it isn't always cold in Tasmania!

Edited by violethaze

Hi there violethaze,

well, its 10.30pm and still roasting. If u have spent some time in Melbourne you will be very used to fluctuations in weather! I only have positive things to say about tas, even tho we have only been here a few weeks. I must say tho, some things are a lot more expensive than the mainland however, real estate is so much cheaper, the food is fresh as is the air. We move into a unit at a very reasonable rate tomorrow, so I will have to give you updates on how everyhing is going. I have never been to NZ, but I would imagine that Tas is not too unlike it with regards to weather and people. Have you been before? I had never been, but my OH had and I always had a feeling that Tas would be right for both of us. When we were in the UK and discussing coming back to oz, we both said out of the blue Tasmania! So far so good.

Hello Violethaze,

I'm still in Hobart and having a good time. Socially, things are going great and I've met a lot of nice people. I think one week I went to two barbecues, one birthday party and a dinner party. I spent Christmas in Launceston and then went on the Overland Track for 6 days, which is why I've been a bit quiet.

I'm still not working, but didn't really expect to be. It's very slow in the public sector at this time of the yet and the police checks here take almost as long as London at 6 weeks.

I think I will stay in Tasmania. Still not a big fan of the weather. Today is 33 degrees but so windy my hat blew away 3 times in the street and I had to risk life and limb in the street retrieving it. There's something about the windy weather that doesn't sit well with me and makes me feel strangely anxious. I'm told you get used to it.

However, Tasmania is very beautiful and I can easily understand why those in employment here have a nice lifestyle and often live better than those on the mainland in terms of price of real estate, lower rents and those indefinable things like proximity to the city centre and great views.

That's pretty good that you have a social life already, I guess you are just the sociable type. Where have you met people?

Have you seen much of the countryside yet? The natural environment is one of the things that really attracts me to Tasmania, and the fact that I just may be able to afford to buy a house there among the wilds (or even the semis wilds) is attractive too.

Not sure how I'll get on with the wind, I'll just have to wait and see.

Hi there violethaze,

well, its 10.30pm and still roasting. If u have spent some time in Melbourne you will be very used to fluctuations in weather! I only have positive things to say about tas, even tho we have only been here a few weeks. I must say tho, some things are a lot more expensive than the mainland however, real estate is so much cheaper, the food is fresh as is the air. We move into a unit at a very reasonable rate tomorrow, so I will have to give you updates on how everyhing is going. I have never been to NZ, but I would imagine that Tas is not too unlike it with regards to weather and people. Have you been before? I had never been, but my OH had and I always had a feeling that Tas would be right for both of us. When we were in the UK and discussing coming back to oz, we both said out of the blue Tasmania! So far so good.

I've never been to Tasmania, but I've never let that stop me moving to somewhere new before. :) It's good to hear people's positive reactions to the place. My parents visited a couple of years ago, and they loved it too. I'm looking forward to moving there myself. I've bought a car and will have to make a couple of trips in it from Melbourne to Tas - probably in March.

I'll be moving on my own (with just my cat for company). I won't know anyone on arrival, but I see it as a positive move forward in life and there's nothing like starting over again. And I get a 'feeling' about Tasmania. I really feel it's the place for me to spend a good chunk of my life - hopefully the rest of it as I'm not wanting to move too many more times in life (it would be really nice if I never had to move again - fingers crossed I can get out there and get an income which I'll need, within a few months.)

• 1 month later...
Olly, thanks for the advice.

After the 41.8 degree day we had today, I'm not moaning about the cold anymore!

Hi,

Did you happen to land a job over in Tassy....!

I was not considering the place worth moving after getting PR, but now it sounds interesting.

At least, if I have no job, I can live in cost effective place, with fresh everthing.

Cheers

I have found work in the disability support sector.

It's true that Tassie has the highest rate of Unemployment in Australia but the picture in Hobart is slightly better than the headline figure suggests and Hobart's unemployment rate is not far off the Australian average.

I am not sure what line of work you're in, but Tasmania does operate a large (subsidized) public sector and there appears to be quite a bit of work around in this area.

I believe that, for those in employment, life can be pretty sweet in Tasmania.

I have found work in the disability support sector.

It's true that Tassie has the highest rate of Unemployment in Australia but the picture in Hobart is slightly better than the headline figure suggests and Hobart's unemployment rate is not far off the Australian average.

I am not sure what line of work you're in, but Tasmania does operate a large (subsidized) public sector and there appears to be quite a bit of work around in this area.

I believe that, for those in employment, life can be pretty sweet in Tasmania.

Agreed, you are very right.

I am Civil Engineer by the way, I think Tassy can be worth a try.

Thanks for letting me know such a good place.

Ciao

• 2 weeks later...
hi and it's good to read your updates on what is the hottest day in 130 years!

My story is that I am a kiwi but have spent as much time out of NZ as I have in it now, but with my time in NZ being in my formative years (until 18 and then again at 21, and from 24 to 26, I have a real tie to NZ. I've spent I don't know how many years based in the UK on and off (over 14 years, and then I lost track), then a couple of years in Asia.

My parents (originally from the UK) moved from NZ to Queensland after I left NZ so I don't really know where my home is. I've been in Melbourne for the past couple of years, but I'm ready to move on. I've considered, and come close to, moving to Darwin, Busselton (WA), the Sunshine Coast and Newcastle, NSW, and have considered almost everywhere else. Up until a few weeks ago I was still looking at moving back to NZ and posting on forums about that!

HOWEVER, Tasmania has definitely captured my attention in the last few years and I decided that despite others' experiences of difficulty finding work, I'm going to move there when my current role ends (temping as I just left a rolling contract job). I'll have to make it work in Tasmania because it actually IS where I want to be. And if push comes to shove, and things become desperate, I can always pop over to Melbourne for a three month temping stint to earn some more money. I want to live in Tasmania!

So, I am really interested to hear what everyone's experiences are and how they are settling in.

People in Australia so often mention the negatives about Tasmania, but I think a certain type of person chooses to move there and that type of person is my type of person! And, as today proves, it isn't always cold in Tasmania!

Hi there Violethaze,

I was very interested to read your post as like you I am a born kiwi but have lived in the UK for most of my life having left NZ at 2 years of age! Apart from 3 and a half years living in Spain, I have always lived in the UK. I have however travelled to lots of different locations around the World and visited family in NZ for 6 weeks 20 years ago!! I have dual NZ/UK citizenship and am now eager to start a new life in Tasmania. I am due to start training as an occupational therapist this September which will take 2 years, and then I hope to make the move. I have an 8 year old daughter, and any potential move is mainly based on her future.

I feel that Tas has the best of both worlds, with the beauty of NZ but the more modern lifestyle of Aus. The fact that Tas has 4 distinct seasons is a real positive for me as having lived in Spain I know what a drag the real hot summers can be like (as in mainland Aus).

Do you have dual NZ/UK nationality as both your parents are Brits and would you be looking at moving to Aus on your NZ passport?

Be great to chat with you!

Deb

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Deb

Sorry for taking so long to reply but I've been without a good internet connection since arriving. I do have dual nationality and two passports. My time in Australia (been here since 2010, mostly in Melbourne) is on my NZ passport. You automatically get let in on showing your passport and that's it. However, I don't think you get any entitlements like child support etc. To do that you have to apply for permanent residency (and pay for the application) and then hope you are accepted, and then wait a period of time. I can't remember the details.

However, you can get the same things Aussies get in terms of study, where you are classed as permanently resident (which is different to a permanent resident!). So, when I see adverts that mention xyz Cert IV course is running at a discounted price for Australians, I know that NZers are included in that.

You will get a medicare card.

If you want to ask me any specific questions, I'll try to answer. You can PM me or if you have the option to email me, that might be better as I get my emails on my phone.

I look forward to hearing how it goes for you.