Sydney New Year 2013/2014

MACDONALDO67

OK after some ideas here if anyone can help please?

Looking at trying to get over to Sydney for December 2013 for the 2014 New Year. Thing is.... the cost.

Been trying to get quotes for an Apartment, B&B, Hotel and for two adults and two kids and it costs a fortune.

We are trying to locate near to Bondi with a view of travelling in to the city on the 31st for the bridge fireworks but our main stay is to be somewhere near the beach.

A quote for 12 nights, room only, is coming to £2754 and that doesn't take into account the cost for bed linen and clean sweep after we leave, which is another $150. On top of this are the flights and spend whilst there.:frown:

I sent an email to the Swiss Grand Resort and Spa on Bondi Beach and the manager there replied that they will be permanently cosed from 27th April 2013 ????? Anyone heard about this? This is an Accor Hotel chain so are they selling up to some other chain. I did send a reply asking about this and any other suggestions but no response????

I am trying to avoid a package holiday and booking somethging directly myself but it appears to be dearer??

Thanks for any assistance you can give.

TBQH.....$2754 for 12 nights is $230 a night. For an apartment I think you will struggle to get much cheaper. I just did a quick search in Manly and that quote doesn't look too bad:

http://www.manly-seaside.com/searchlist.asp?bedrooms=2&bathrooms=1

http://www.manlysurfside.com.au/index.html

That's quite cheap hotel room price for this city. Somewhere like the Darling Harbour Ibis costs that for one room (and their rack rate is higher)

You might be better off advertising on Gumtree or something and see if you can rent someone's apartment directly from them if they're going away. For example, my mate has a 3 bed apartment in Neutral Bay (with bridge view, great for NYE). This Christmas he's away for 2 weeks going to NZ tramping so if you were talking about this year you might have had a shot at that (or something like it)

Unlikely to be any guarantees from a private deal like that and it's highly dodgy from a leasing PoV (if people are subletting when they shouldn't) but it's the only way I can see of getting it significantly cheaper

We're going to Sydney for NYE this year staying 5 nights at a Meriton Serviced Apartment in Kent Street (so walking distance to the CBD) and it's costing us $1,200 for a studio for 5 nights, so I don't think what you've been quoted is unreasonable for 12 nights for a larger place. It is the most expensive time of year to stay in Sydney for obvious reasons - NYE night alone is $500 of the cost of our stay!

There is one in Bondi Junction - although I can't get it to quote for 2013/2014 yet as I think it's too early.

why dont you stay the full 12 days but stay further inland for the rest so go to the blue mountains or if it is coastal you are looking for go down to the south coast.

Yes it may be cheaper coming inland. That's another job for me to look at tonight. Had my heart set on Bondi but I may have to compromise here. It's being at the bridge for the fireworks that is the priority so back to the drawing board. Thanks.

Cheers for info. May have reduce the days from 12 to 7 but it's a bloody shame. Going that far for 7 nights I really wanted to make it worthwhile.

Honestly mate for just 7 days I wouldn't bother. It will take you a couple of days to get over the jet lag and feel something like normal. Don't get me wrong Sydney is a great place and would be buzzing over Christmas and New Year but I would come at a cheaper time and have a longer stay. There are always free fireworks at Darling Harbour every Saturday night, not as good as New Year but still good for free.

Always plenty to do, ferry trip to Manly on the normal cheaper ferry is well worth it. If it's nice weather the beach is great and there are some good pubs. Try going into the Icebergs club at the end of Bondi if you get there. You can sign in as a visitor for free if you're not from NSW and the beer and food is very reasonable prices. The balcony has views across Bondi and we spent a great afternoon there a few weeks ago. You could buy a bottle of wine for $24 and a pint was $6. Take care you don't go into the restaurant on the top floor by mistake though as that is expensive.

Honestly mate for just 7 days I wouldn't bother. It will take you a couple of days to get over the jet lag and feel something like normal. Don't get me wrong Sydney is a great place and would be buzzing over Christmas and New Year but I would come at a cheaper time and have a longer stay. There are always free fireworks at Darling Harbour every Saturday night, not as good as New Year but still good for free.

Always plenty to do, ferry trip to Manly on the normal cheaper ferry is well worth it. If it's nice weather the beach is great and there are some good pubs. Try going into the Icebergs club at the end of Bondi if you get there. You can sign in as a visitor for free if you're not from NSW and the beer and food is very reasonable prices. The balcony has views across Bondi and we spent a great afternoon there a few weeks ago. You could buy a bottle of wine for $24 and a pint was $6. Take care you don't go into the restaurant on the top floor by mistake though as that is expensive.

Noted. Thanks. It was the new year thing and my roster has fallen right for time off. You're right about the 7 days lark not being worth it so I'm going to have to try another option. Thanks.

that's good look at other options and 12 days will be great for sydney you could still do 7 days in bondi n then the rest of the stay elsewhere. Goodluck with your trip planning (taken me a year to feel confident enough to give advice on sydney starting to become a local)

Looking at trying to get over to Sydney for December 2013 for the 2014 New Year. Thing is.... the cost.

Been trying to get quotes for an Apartment, B&B, Hotel and for two adults and two kids and it costs a fortune.

We are trying to locate near to Bondi with a view of travelling in to the city on the 31st for the bridge fireworks but our main stay is to be somewhere near the beach.

A quote for 12 nights, room only, is coming to £2754 and that doesn't take into account the cost for bed linen and clean sweep after we leave, which is another $150. On top of this are the flights and spend whilst there.:frown:

I sent an email to the Swiss Grand Resort and Spa on Bondi Beach and the manager there replied that they will be permanently cosed from 27th April 2013 ????? Anyone heard about this? This is an Accor Hotel chain so are they selling up to some other chain. I did send a reply asking about this and any other suggestions but no response????

I am trying to avoid a package holiday and booking somethging directly myself but it appears to be dearer??

Is that GBP2754 or $2754? Actually both seem reasonable for 12 days including NYE as the prices sky rocket over NYE in Sydney, so allowing for that your average daily rate for 2 adults and 2 children looks pretty good.

I think your idea of fireworks is great, something everyone should see once, so I hear. I have not made it there myself yet as I am a bit put off by the crowds and getting home and the hotels are sooo expensive. I am going to the Blue Mountains this year, maybe next year..

I definitely would not reduce your trip to 7 nights, it is really too far to come for that. As others have suggested, just look for somewhere else to stay for one half of the trip, holiday parks are a good option.

Is that GBP2754 or $2754? Actually both seem reasonable for 12 days including NYE as the prices sky rocket over NYE in Sydney, so allowing for that your average daily rate for 2 adults and 2 children looks pretty good.

I think your idea of fireworks is great, something everyone should see once, so I hear. I have not made it there myself yet as I am a bit put off by the crowds and getting home and the hotels are sooo expensive. I am going to the Blue Mountains this year, maybe next year..

I definitely would not reduce your trip to 7 nights, it is really too far to come for that. As others have suggested, just look for somewhere else to stay for one half of the trip, holiday parks are a good option.

Holiday parks and a car of course. Thanks.

Yes that figure was in £. It was $2400 for 7 nights and $359 per night and $399 at Weekends. The linen was $150 (£100) and it looks just a little too much.

The place looking right on to Bondi so for the view it was brilliant but with a cost. Dam it!!!

So yes I'm looking at other options and Holiday park next up.

PEAK SEASON: 15 Dec to 4 January :: $359 per weeknight, $399 per weekend night (fri/sat), $2400 per week (7 nights)

HIGH SEASON: 10 - 15 Dec/ 5-18 Jan :: $349 per weeknight, $379 per weekend night (fri/sat), $2300 per week (7 nights)

MID SEASON: 15 Nov - 10 Dec/ 19 Jan - 28 Feb :: $279 per weeknight, $299 per weekend night (fri/sat), $1900 per week (7 nights)

LOW SEASON: 1-21 Sept/ 8-14 Nov/ 1 March-12 April :: $239 per weeknight, $259 per weekend night, $1650 per week (7 nights)

WINTER RATES: 30 April - 31 August :: $189 per weeknight, $199 per weekend night, $1300 per week (7 nights)

Every booking incurs a $70 linen hire and $150 departure clean fee.

It's an apartment on Bondi and if it was £1000 cheaper then I probably would have pushed the boat out.

Taking into account flights will be £3000-£4000 and then food money and transport costs on top i have just hit the earth with a bump. So yes 7 is too short and if I could have done longer with it being a one off then I would have.

We're going to Sydney for NYE this year staying 5 nights at a Meriton Serviced Apartment in Kent Street (so walking distance to the CBD) and it's costing us $1,200 for a studio for 5 nights, so I don't think what you've been quoted is unreasonable for 12 nights for a larger place. It is the most expensive time of year to stay in Sydney for obvious reasons - NYE night alone is $500 of the cost of our stay!

There is one in Bondi Junction - although I can't get it to quote for 2013/2014 yet as I think it's too early.

We have stayed several times at the Kent street apts and also once at Bondi Junction. Every thing is provided, immaculate and can't fault either of them and I'm quite pickie!!!

Kent street great for being central and close to Darling Harbour and China Town, and B Junction close'sh to Bondi Beach, quick bus trip, and the shops at B Junction, and an easy bus ride into town.

Occasionally Meriton put up very good offers, so they are worth watching out for.

Have a great time.

Have you thought of hiring a camper van, then you can go wherever. Book the sites early though as i struggled last year to find spare places.

Guest littlesarah

Don't forget to factor in the cost of admission to the popular sites. If you want to be on the Opera House side you'll have to pay to get in. Some of the North Shore sites are free, and I think the Botanical Gardens are too - but you have to get there early. Last time we went we arrived at the end of the queue at 11.00 a.m., and it was a very long wait to get in. If your kids are young, the paid sites may be a bit too full of drunk people for your liking, but there are some alcohol-free sites that have good views. There's a 9.00 fireworks display too, which is good for the littlies (& a nice warm-up for the rest of us!).

Could you spend fewer nights in Sydney and then head off elsewhere? I'd do 4 nights in the city, and then 7 or 8 somewhere else. You could head in to the Blue Mountains, or up to the Central Coast, or down South a way. If you hire a campervan or a car you could certainly manage that fairly easily, from a logistics point of view.

Another option would be to stay a little further out of the city, but still on the train line. The trains run til later on NYE, so it's possible to use public transport in and out.

Unfortunately everything is expensive in Sydney for New Year, also don't forget the cost of seeing the fireworks unless you plan on hanging around all day at one of the free sites (the best free sites are full by lunchtime)

And here was me thinking to just walk down one of the roads at the river bank of Port Jackson and watch :twitcy:

• 2 weeks later...

Right I have managed a booking for 12 nights, deposit to be paid before January 7th, for an apartment at the "Ultimate Apartments @ Bondi Beach" for $3000 (or £1961 in English money).

Just the flights to sort which will be between £3000 and £4000 so it's looking good.

These apartments are on O'Brien Street which is only 7 minutes walk to the beach. Bust stop to the city right outside and a short walk to Bondi Jct Railway station.

Right I have managed a booking for 12 nights, deposit to be paid before January 7th, for an apartment at the "Ultimate Apartments @ Bondi Beach" for $3000 (or £1961 in English money).

Just the flights to sort which will be between £3000 and £4000 so it's looking good.

These apartments are on O'Brien Street which is only 7 minutes walk to the beach. Bust stop to the city right outside and a short walk to Bondi Jct Railway station.

Sounds a lot of money but hey if you've got it why not.

Have a great Christmas and New Year.:ssign4:

Don't worry too much about "the best free sites are full by lunchtime" talk. There are plenty of vantage points and they're well advertised. Sure, transport on NYE can be a hassle and everywhere is busy, you get that when there's so many people, no avoiding it. The biggest hassle IME is the drinks bans and controlled entry points to parks/reserves, that slows things up a lot (you have to go through bag checks and the like). But again, it's a function of the number of people more than anything else

Sounds a lot of money but hey if you've got it why not.

Have a great Christmas and New Year.:ssign4:

Believe it or not that was the best price I could get to be near Bondi. Other locations nearby were coming up $3800 to $4200 to can't complain at $3000. Translated to English money it's £1961.

Just dying to go Oz. I'm 45, never been, got to do it. It's one of my dreams on my ticklist.

Guest Lauren Hughes

Have a look at a hostel family room, like in wake up sydney central. Its a really good hostel, lovely and clean with cafe. The family rooms are at the top of the hostel so its a lot quieter and the security is excellent. Its in a prime spot to get everywhere too, right near buses, trains and everything else is in walking distance :) hope this helps

Archived