Hiw long before you hear back after an interview?

lozzachino

Hi all,

oh was in perth recently and had a couple of interviews. One he found out the next day he didn't get it, although he wasn't surprised as having only arrived the day before he said he was so jet lagged and felt like a zombie!

the other interview was fri 26 th oct. we emailed the company last week friday, 2 nov, when there were still a few working hours left in the day. So far we have heard nothing. They said at the time they had two more people to interview still but didn't say when.

i would like to think no news is good news but realistically how long should it take for them to tell him either way? Do they always tell you if you are not successful? Just want to get on and plan either way!!!

thanks everyone :)

Oh god I hope its not that long! They said they needed someone asap and were considering someone but because they couldn't start til next year they were still interviewing now with aim of getting someone by december.

i just want to know either way, as if we have to go in december we will struggle finding a place to stay if we leave it any longer and if he hasn't got it then we can get on planning to come out next year and start booking things!

The only guarantee you have is that if they want him they will let you know. Given you have already sent a follow up email I wouldn't contact them again (as hard as that will be for you).

I always tell applicants not to put their lives on hold while they are waiting for an outcome. He should continue to look for other opportunities.

Good luck.

my OH went for his 1st interview and they said they would contact him on a specified date either way .They didn't contact him on the specified date and when he chased them up afterwards they said 'sorry but you didn't get the job, you was too qualified and we couldn't pay you what you was worth ' .

He went for another job and they did contact him on then specified day saying ' he didn't get the job'.However they did contact him 2 days later saying they had made a job for him 'you were to good to let go and the other job was not right for you ' . He loves his job and it is right for him and pays extremely well and there is also a further opportunity for progression with higher pay . Don't give up hope...I guess each employer is different and if they want you they will let you know.

Guest katie007

One thing Employers hate is being pushed, depending on the size of the Company, at times it has to go to other Department heads for approval, or smaller Co's will wait till they have interviewed all Candidates before contacting.

If they gave Strong indications, and as you state you emailed them, you must wait, if you pester then you may (Blow) any chance for reasons stated.

In my 15+ Years, the longest I had a Candidate wait for employment is 9 Months and others within a week or two, there is no set time lines, right now is an employer’s market as many seeking employment in many Skills and Qualifications on your side is you have a SS 176 Visa, so no 457 Sponsorship needed.

Welcome to the world of Australia! :-) they take much longer here than the UK (presume that is where your are from). My jobs in the UK, I found it either Ob the day or day after, but in Oz from my experience it is a VERY long and drawn out recruitment process. My experiences have not been great, 3 months after applying for a job she rang me for an interview then just sent a letter several weeks after saying thanks but no thanks, most recently the job got canceled the day before my interview due to finances, several months later they contacted me as got the finances, long story short I rang up after 3 weeks of not hearing back, they 'thought' they had sent me an e nail to say I hadn't got it!! (if the checks for the preferred applicant comes back not looking good they would be in touch). Basically they take Weeks to ferry back to you so I would sit back and/or look for something else. Some don't even reply after interviews!? So i've had to contact them after Weeks for feedback.

Good luck!

I'm often on the panel for nursing recruitment, and to be honest the interviews are the easiest bit ... part of the delay is getting the references particularly from the UK, i've often after waiting about 3 weeks and sending reminders have had to ring for a verbal reference. Next the forms regarding the outcome of the interview gets sent to HR for approval, and then onto the managers for signing off (which can take ages). Then HCN send out the letters making the job offers - there's then a 4 day appeal process before anything can become official

Thanks for your feedback everyone! This is starting to freak me out now, as we are only really able to afford an 8 week holiday rental while we job hunt after we plan to arrive in may (assuming oh doesnt get this job!!). What happens if after 8 weeks we have had lots of interviews and no offers???? Argh!!! Starting to get scary now....

Thanks for your feedback everyone! This is starting to freak me out now, as we are only really able to afford an 8 week holiday rental while we job hunt after we plan to arrive in may (assuming oh doesnt get this job!!). What happens if after 8 weeks we have had lots of interviews and no offers???? Argh!!! Starting to get scary now....

Agency work is pretty quick turn around..let you know and start within a few days from my experience. Its obviously not a secure thing, but my other half and I have worked for agencies since we came. I can't get a full time perm position so I'd look into agency work aswell to help with finances. Lived in Sydney 11 months. people do get jobs quickly, some don't. Think I have been unlucky!?

AS the others said a long time!

The job I came out her on a 457 for too just over a month form interview to offer.......the job I am doing now ...I actually interviewed for something else back in March...took them a month to say I hadnt got it....then they called me to offer me a job at the beging of June over the phone official offer letter took 7 weeks!!!!!!! An I now know they were trying to move money around to emply me from back in March!

So downside is that unlike the UK you dont hear so fast ( As a manager in the UK I would never have mad a candidate wait more than 48 hours from the last person seen and would always say we have some other people to see on x so we cant tell you till x!)

Upside is that they seem more willing to create a job if they decide that you arent quite right for the position but you are spot on for the organisation!

Thanks again. Im just worried about booking our flights and accomodation for May like we originally planned, then getting a call to ask us to come asap! So frustrating. As scary as it may be, it may be easier to just arrive and look for jobs when we are there. I cant stand all this not knowing!

Guest katie007
AS the others said a long time!

The job I came out her on a 457 for too just over a month form interview to offer.......the job I am doing now ...I actually interviewed for something else back in March...took them a month to say I hadnt got it....then they called me to offer me a job at the beging of June over the phone official offer letter took 7 weeks!!!!!!! An I now know they were trying to move money around to emply me from back in March!

So downside is that unlike the UK you dont hear so fast ( As a manager in the UK I would never have mad a candidate wait more than 48 hours from the last person seen and would always say we have some other people to see on x so we cant tell you till x!)

Upside is that they seem more willing to create a job if they decide that you arent quite right for the position but you are spot on for the organisation!

Yes, we have found this, (Willing to make a Placements, if the Candidte is and looks good on Paper)

Many still think Australia is like Europe - (Contract)

Must have 100's a week email us for Terms of Contract, when you go back and state, Australia is more (Full-Time Employment) they then state, Oh must be a Scam.

Other OP comments, if you are looking at leaving in May, then there is your Valid reason to make a Call !

Call them, state, Airline Tickets must be booked in Advance to gain a Price Reduction, so, can you please let me know if my application is in for Consideration or NOT.

(Aussies like to Call a Spade a Spade) so make the call to them and seek on your Terms, use the Air Tickets as reason to find out if you are in with a chance.....

Other OP comments, if you are looking at leaving in May, then there is your Valid reason to make a Call !

Call them, state, Airline Tickets must be booked in Advance to gain a Price Reduction, so, can you please let me know if my application is in for Consideration or NOT.

(Aussies like to Call a Spade a Spade) so make the call to them and seek on your Terms, use the Air Tickets as reason to find out if you are in with a chance.....

I have to say that I would be careful doing this. The interviews were not that long ago, a follow up email has already been sent and the OP has been advised they had other candidates to be interviewed.

Unless they are exceptional they run the risk of coming across as pushy and/or potentially high maintenance. Neither will endear the OP to the employer.

Guest katie007
I have to say that I would be careful doing this. The interviews were not that long ago, a follow up email has already been sent and the OP has been advised they had other candidates to be interviewed.

Unless they are exceptional they run the risk of coming across as pushy and/or potentially high maintenance. Neither will endear the OP to the employer.

My Bad, then, reading back, \ Do see the (Not long ago Ref)

Guess, to the OP, it is your call, Yes takes time, and biting the fingernails is common waiting for an indication (Yes or No)

Have to say our experience of being told has been mixed - but mostly on the side of terrible.

OH has had interviews and been told he'd hear back by x date, x date came and went and he gave it another week, sent them an email asking for feedback, heard nothing (that was 5 months ago). The other two interviews he's had they've let him know he wasn't successful - but only after he'd contacted them after a couple of weeks. Seems they think nothing of leaving you to hang on.

Take Friday for example, gets a voicemail from an exec search agency, really interested to meet with him this week about a role he's applied for. He calls back 30 minutes later and gets told that the diary has moved and they'll call him on Monday to schedule. No call on Monday so he emails Tuesday, still waiting to sort it out apparently they'll call him back asap. Now Wednesday afternoon and still no call (and he was told the person he needed to see was going on annual leave on Friday) so now he's left wondering whats going on.

He gets calls from agents all keen to see him and bigging him up for a role about how he'd be perfect. His CV goes in for the job... he never hears from the agency again. It's pretty soul destroying just waiting for the phone to ring and then it not ringing.

Sorry, probably not relevant at all for your situation coming from the UK, but sometimes I have to share my frustration of the job market over here!

Guest katie007
Have to say our experience of being told has been mixed - but mostly on the side of terrible.

OH has had interviews and been told he'd hear back by x date, x date came and went and he gave it another week, sent them an email asking for feedback, heard nothing (that was 5 months ago). The other two interviews he's had they've let him know he wasn't successful - but only after he'd contacted them after a couple of weeks. Seems they think nothing of leaving you to hang on.

Take Friday for example, gets a voicemail from an exec search agency, really interested to meet with him this week about a role he's applied for. He calls back 30 minutes later and gets told that the diary has moved and they'll call him on Monday to schedule. No call on Monday so he emails Tuesday, still waiting to sort it out apparently they'll call him back asap. Now Wednesday afternoon and still no call (and he was told the person he needed to see was going on annual leave on Friday) so now he's left wondering whats going on.

He gets calls from agents all keen to see him and bigging him up for a role about how he'd be perfect. His CV goes in for the job... he never hears from the agency again. It's pretty soul destroying just waiting for the phone to ring and then it not ringing.

Sorry, probably not relevant at all for your situation coming from the UK, but sometimes I have to share my frustration of the job market over here!

In 15+ Years, within Recruitment I do (Echo) your Valid Comments.

I am Aussie, I let people know ASAP, if they are considered, I will tell them, pointless leaving them go Grey.

Other issue is, and sad to state this, many in OZ, are Players, they like to gather resumes and do this for a number of reasons, but they fail to understand they are giving the Candidates the owners of these Resumes False Hopes.

One from my own side is - I let all know in Time, if they are in it or not, it is called Closure and both can move on.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all, just a little update. Got v frustrated with hanging on so OH called the hr dept on friday. They remembered him and told him the position was already filled! So much for common courtesy! Guess you were all right!

Welcome to the Australian way of doing things!? :-( totally rubbish! I'm so sorry to hear him not getting the job. Common courtesy doesn't seem to come into the equation from my experience in recruitment. Wishing you all the best!

Tis truly bleak here in Brisbane, only rarely do people get back to you. Plus even if you do get the job, get the contract, give your notice, the new job can be pulled at the last minute. The worst offenders are the agencies in a rush - You're perfect, you have to send an updated CV this minute, they want to fill the role in a few days - almost guaranteed to be time wasters!

I wish the market would turn to become an employees market again - then these people may start to show a little respect

Hi all, just a little update. Got v frustrated with hanging on so OH called the hr dept on friday. They remembered him and told him the position was already filled! So much for common courtesy! Guess you were all right!

Well that is a bit rude. I don't mind not hearing after sending in an application, but after interview everyone deserves to know the outcome.

To the original question on how long does it take though, I really think it is a mixed bag, same as in UK. Some employers or quick and some or not, probably down to the individual hiring manager more than the company even.

Tis truly bleak here in Brisbane, only rarely do people get back to you. Plus even if you do get the job, get the contract, give your notice, the new job can be pulled at the last minute. The worst offenders are the agencies in a rush - You're perfect, you have to send an updated CV this minute, they want to fill the role in a few days - almost guaranteed to be time wasters!

I wish the market would turn to become an employees market again - then these people may start to show a little respect

It's as bad in Sydney! Maybe I am unlucky..but in the UK found out the same day or day after for the jobs I have had. In Sydney, I applied for a job, got Assn e mail saying they would be in touch with date/time of interview...after a couple of weeks I rang them asking if the date had been set..when they informed me she had not meant to write what she did and the vacancy was filled..after talking to her she said it was a shame as she looked at my CV and liked it etc. then another job in Sydney I went for an interview, she was seemingly impressed but as soon as I said I couldn't drive (wasn't a criteria for the job)

Her face said it all..I MIGHT have to do a home visit once a month..I rang for feedback but surprisingly (will not really ha) she didn't mention the driving and as always somebody with 'more local knowledge' got the job! I got a letter after several weeks declining. Another interview..long story short..4 ppl interviewing, one was a police woman. Police woman got called by the centre starting a drug user in the nearby loo..she ran after him..still with the needle in his arm, so prior to interview I was helping the interviewers/police woman with the user. Again..lack of local knowledge (even tho I mentioned all the local services they asked about!?) They actually rang me after several weeks to give feedback and say no..only ones to do that so far if I haven't got the job. Most recently, got an interview and the day before the interview it was canceled due to funding..but several months later they got the funding and asked me for an interview..after several weeks I rang asking for an outcome..she'thought' she had sent me an e mail saying no. ooh the list goes on!

Very frustrating when you get to the top few/two! Argh!

Your not alone is what i'm trying to say in a long winded way ;-)

Sorry things didn't turn out for your OH (and you) on this occasion. I can only reiterate what I said earlier and that is not to wait around. Keep applying for everything that is suitable until you get an offer regardless of how promising something might look.

While my company will get in touch with anyone we interview regardless of the outcome - many don't, so don't take it to heart when this happens. We rarely get in touch with people we don't interview simply because of the volume of applications we receive.

Good luck, I hope something turns up sooner rather than later.

Archived