Sun Dangers

Tulip

Hello.

I'm a health-conscious kind of person, and try hard to stay fit and eat right. I don't smoke, I don't drink, and I don't have any health defects or medical problems. One thing I am worried about moving to Australia is the sunshine. I burnt very badly when I was last there, not so bad in Gold Coast but in Sydney when it was full on sunshine and hitting 40 degrees. I stayed bright red for two weeks and then blistered terribly on my chesticles.

Can anyone offer any insight to things like skin cancer, and how to best avoid it? Safety tips for the sun?

Any help much appreciated.

Do what most Spanish Italians africans and Greeks do....no sunbathing whatsoever, wear a hat at all time in the sun and wear trousers not shorts, they are wise about the effects of the sun after hundreds of years of living in these countries, Aussies and poms IMO a stupid to take the risks they do, I never sunbathe as I just don't enjoy it and I am scared of skin cancer.

Wear face moisturiser with spf30 in it day to day (not as gloopy/greasy as normal sunscreen).

Wear a hat if you're out in the sun for more than about 5min.

Wear spf 30 sunscreen if you're out in the sun for any length of time. (30 is the highest that can be put on the packet in oz. some spf 30s are actually much higher than that. seek out the ones that specify watersports if that's what you're doing - you can usually tell within a second of getting some out of the bottle that it'll stick to you for a while and need a good wash to get it off)

re-apply sunscreen every couple of hours or after a towel rub.

Remember UV rays can penetrate cloud so if you're outisde for any length of time cover up even if it's cloudy.

There's a reason people walk on the shady side of the street where possible...

Avoid being in sun during the middle of the day (somewhere in the region of 11-3 depending on daylight savings and time of year etc) so head to the beach in the morning or evenings, and seek shade in the middle of the day)

Oh and when you first move out here, go to a mole scan clinic so they can take baseline photos to compare your skin to at subsequent visits (every 2-3 years unless you spend loads of time in the sun, in which case they like to see you more often)

I use this website pretty much every day:

http://www.bom.gov.au/qld/uv/brisbane.shtml

to find out the danger times. If I am outside during those times I use sunscreen. I pretty much follow the UV government guidelines. If it's outside the UV alert times I don't wear sunscreen for short periods (which follows the recs) so should get some Vitamin D.

Touch wood me and the kids haven't had any burning so far following the guidelines and reapplying every 2 hours. I use a Zinc based sunscreen (by Banana Boat) that seems to work well.

I am pretty cautious as I have hundreds of moles (including several changing ones removed in the UK). I have been for my skin check here too and all was well.

I'm going to sound silly here, but what's wind burn?

Thanks RockDr, that sounds like sensible advice. I don't think I reapplied much at all in Aus, that might have been why I burnt so much. It's so easy here in the UK because you just put some on in the morning but there it was so different. I don't tend to sunbath but I love being outdoors. Is Zinc stick worth it, I wondered if it was just to make you look silly? My sister in law told me about special moisturiser that is based on sunscreen, will have to get some!

Cloudy days it's possible to burn as well. No excessive exposure to the sun in early days but don't ignore it completely. The sun is life affirming also ..just in moderation. I actually think a tan protects the skin. Worse possible thing is to burn. Tanning has gone out of fashion over the past decade or so....and a lot of folk are very pale in Perth,woman probably more so. Like I said on another thread the lack of sunshine has created other health problems.

Enjoy the sun in moderation. Take care of some of the so called protections also ...it has been suggested with some force that some of the products may be cancer producing.......

I'd go for a good after sun cream.....

I'm so paranoid that I put sunscreen on when I'm going out at night! Seriously, I rarely go to the beach after 10am, or before 4pm. Wear a broad-brimmed hat, wear sun screen and sun glasses, long sleeve shirts.

That is your most sensible post for ages.

I am pale as pale can be. Never sunbathed ever in Oz. Occassionally got accidentally sunburned on my shoulders (which I do worry about now) just sunscreen for the face and exposed skin every day. Best way to put it on is after shower before dressed just like moisturiser. My neck and chest has aged a bit more than it should since I stayed there for the 5 years and I am a bit disappointed about that but then there were times when I was slack with the sunscreen. Hats too. Also I think is so different when you live there cos you're working and busy so hardly really in the sun. I ALWAYS got sunburned when gardening, so again, think sunscreen and hats!!

Guest Guest76386

I wish i knew the dangers more when I was younger. I grew up surfing and had constant exposure to the sun. Im only 34 , but now have sun damage to my eyes. We just never really cared when we were young. I work in the sun allday as well which doesnt help me much.

You will find in australia you can be tested for skin cancer/ any sun damage with regular scans that are done bulk billing at skin care clinics. I get tested every 6 months in oz as I am constantly in the sun. I think you will find most others get tested every 12mnths. It good for peice of mind. Skin cancer is in my genes so I keep in control of it now.

Sunscreen, hat, and sun glasses. Its been drilled into my head now just how important sun glasses are. Its the one thing people tend to forget about, sun damage to the eyes. If you have children its always a good idea to let them wear the uv protective beachwear as well.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

I read on here once that there are more cases of skin cancer per head of population in the UK than Australia, I could look for it, but ICBA.

I read on here once that there are more cases of skin cancer per head of population in the UK than Australia, I could look for it, but ICBA.

Already been been debunked hoff.......just cover up in oz and look after your skin, a deep tan is in effect skin damage.

I'll look it up for you ropey.

Aprox 440,000 Australians are treated for skin cancer each year (around 10,000 melonoma, 430,000 non-melanoma) which is around 1.94% of the population diagnosed every year.

Approximately two in three Australians will be diagnosed with skin cancer before the age of 70

Australia has the highest skin cancer incidence rate in the world

(http://www.skincancer.gov.au/internet/skincancer/publishing.nsf/content/fact-2)

In 2010, 12,818 people in the UK were diagnosed with malignant melanoma skin cancer. Also around 100,000 people were diagnosed with non-melanoma skin cancer which is around 0.18% of the population.

(http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/cancer-info/cancerstats/types/skin/)

So, Australian skin cancer cases per year (per head of population) about 10 times higher than in the UK.

Just goes to show you can't believe everything you read on here.

Archived