All things 'horse' & 'country' thread.....

Galahad

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys, & Pablo "...can i join now..." you can join any time ! :laugh:

Ghostly horses on Halloween Night in Devon8.jpg

Two of the horses who were helped by Monty during the evening....

The palomino had got free from the paddock earlier in the day when it freaked out at someone putting an umbrella up - a big golfing umbrella - & it cleared a five barred gate - wooden, English style....great jumper, but not a good idea with all that open countryside looming somewhere out there under the rain sodden mist.....

In ten minutes Monty had two teenage helpers cavorting around with umbrellas in the round yard & the horse taking no notice....he talks to the horses & answers for them too, giving them various 'attitudes' - you can 'feel' the genuine love he has for them...

The piebald (drop-dead gorgeous heavyweight mare) had taken three hours to load on the truck to bring to the venue...

Monty agreed to ride it home if he couldn't get it walking up & down the ramp by itself....we're talking pitch black sleeting rain on the edge of Dartmoor, six+ miles the owner reckoned..... !

In 20 minutes the mare was trotting up & down the ramp of Kelly Marks' truck (some truck I might add !) looking really pleased with itself....

The owner carried on doing it with her horse for a couple more times - her delight was infectious...

There were give or take 10, about 900 people there which became more apparent when trying to leave a huge muddy paddock afterwards...even assuming that most cars would have two or three passengers....

Devon's narrow lanes were simply not made for high level traffic - it was like a midnight convoy of 'Green-Wellie-Wearers' dispersing eventually at Exeter.....

And yes - of course I wore my 'Hunters' - one does, doesn't one ? :cool:

Ghostly horses on Halloween Night in Devon8.jpg

Thanks guys, & Pablo "...can i join now..." you can join any time ! :laugh:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17279[/ATTACH]

Two of the horses who were helped by Monty during the evening....

The palomino had got free from the paddock earlier in the day when it freaked out at someone putting an umbrella up - a big golfing umbrella - & it cleared a five barred gate - wooden, English style....great jumper, but not a good idea with all that open countryside looming somewhere out there under the rain sodden mist.....

In ten minutes Monty had two teenage helpers cavorting around with umbrellas in the round yard & the horse taking no notice....he talks to the horses & answers for them too, giving them various 'attitudes' - you can 'feel' the genuine love he has for them...

The piebald (drop-dead gorgeous heavyweight mare) had taken three hours to load on the truck to bring to the venue...

Monty agreed to ride it home if he couldn't get it walking up & down the ramp by itself....we're talking pitch black sleeting rain on the edge of Dartmoor, six+ miles the owner reckoned..... !

In 20 minutes the mare was trotting up & down the ramp of Kelly Marks' truck (some truck I might add !) looking really pleased with itself....

The owner carried on doing it with her horse for a couple more times - her delight was infectious...

There were give or take 10, about 900 people there which became more apparent when trying to leave a huge muddy paddock afterwards...even assuming that most cars would have two or three passengers....

Devon's narrow lanes were simply not made for high level traffic - it was like a midnight convoy of 'Green-Wellie-Wearers' dispersing eventually at Exeter.....

And yes - of course I wore my 'Hunters' - one does, doesn't one ? :cool:

I

'll see if I can get pictures of our English Riding Pony up.

Can I join too ??..... Used to ride as a kid every Sunday in the UK, then moved to Canada as a teenager, and helped out at a stables in exchange for being able to ride one of the horses. Was the first time I had ridden Western, but got used to it pretty quickly. Have always had an interest in horses, and thankfully my girls also have had a interest in horses. Had them in lessons when they were younger.

When we lived in Perth, we lived very near the Swan Valley and we ended up getting a very young and very green Standardbred named Brockie. He was a little too green for my girls, so we didn't ride him much, but he was much loved and looked after. Almost every day we would go to the stable and lunge him every 3 days and groom him, and just give him loads of love..... he loved carrots !!

Here are a couple of pictures of Brockie.... he was a beauty of a boy !!

Cheers

Karen

Brockie 1.png

Brockie 1.jpg

Brockie 2.jpg

Brockie 1.png

Brockie 1.jpg

Brockie 2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Remembering the horses.....& other four legged 'soldiers'.....

'Look back at our struggle for freedom,

Trace our present day course to its source,

And you'll find that man's pathway to glory

Is strewn with the bones of the horse....'

In grateful memory of the thousands of horses who carried men & equipment through the hell of WWI & galloped obediently into the guns at Balaclava....

And to the wonderful military dogs who risk & often lose their lives finding bombs which would otherwise kill humans....

Poppies.jpg

Poppies.jpg

'Look back at our struggle for freedom,

Trace our present day course to its source,

And you'll find that man's pathway to glory

Is strewn with the bones of the horse....'

In grateful memory of the thousands of horses who carried men & equipment through the hell of WWI & galloped obediently into the guns at Balaclava....

And to the wonderful military dogs who risk & often lose their lives finding bombs which would otherwise kill humans....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17376[/ATTACH]

Could not agree more with that - a beautiful post, superbly put x

Had an email from my friend in Queensland this morning....sent photos of 'my boy'......lots !

It's funny because after his 'ordeal with others' (I was badly let down by people who should have done better) his hooves were atrocious & so she sends a couple of photos of the 'whole horse' & about sixteen photos of his feet !!

My friend pays particular attention to the health of his hooves..... y'know what they say, 'no hoof - no horse' :yes:

Anyway, here's my gorgeous boy after his latest pedicure.....

Miss him soooo much & can't wait to ride him again - just 'pootling' - he's 22 now.....

Thanks - See ya!.jpg

Pedicure time Nov.'12.jpg

Pedicure time Nov.'12.jpg

Thanks - See ya!.jpg

I'm not sure what my friend uses on the actual hoof - but he is always, always, always on 'Megahorse' (http://www.megahorse.net.au) which is a mineral supplement for the whole horse & I found it works for my horse - the improved condition is visible....

I don't think you can treat the hoof without treating the horse - if y'know what I mean....

I order it direct & have it sent to my friend's property....

Under normal 'care conditions' (like when he was in normal work) he has four black & very good hooves (for a Thoroughbred!) but I was really lucky - in the vast continent which is Australia I managed to find someone who could destroy them !!!!

Thankfully - they are now back to their perfect state.....

They are very friendly people at Megahorse - check them out .... if you haven't already of course....

I do water now !!.jpg

"I do water now".....

I do water now !!.jpg

Edited by Galahad
Added photo

• 2 months later...

Hi Galahad

I will be moving to Queensland at the end of the year. I have horses here in the UK and was wondering what its like in QA owning a horse. Are there lots of livery yards? I don't know exactly where I will be going yet but if we are in the city how accesable is riding/livery yards. Do you have any experience of transporting horses? I can't bear the thought of leaving my boy behind but really don't know if moving him over is viable. Any advice greatfully received x

Hi Galahad

I will be moving to Queensland at the end of the year. I have horses here in the UK and was wondering what its like in QA owning a horse. Are there lots of livery yards? I don't know exactly where I will be going yet but if we are in the city how accesable is riding/livery yards. Do you have any experience of transporting horses? I can't bear the thought of leaving my boy behind but really don't know if moving him over is viable. Any advice greatfully received x

Horses are everywhere in Australia, a billion dollar plus business. Shipping will be expensive, I've heard a figure of 30 grand. Be assured the weather will be a huge difference.

hey,

im hoping to move in the near future too, i own 10 horses (i do deal, break/sell/school/compete/hunt/show and breed!) and we also run the family horsebox manufacturing business...so i admin that too, and im a riding instructor.

What area is the horseiest in Australia?

i always rely that anywhere in the world they appreachiate BHS qualifications and recognise them and have been offered work on a nice event yard nr perth.

ive been looking at horse prices and think its similar to the uk, some cheap and cheerful and some over priced?

whats the competitions like?

image.jpgHi,

I got a couple of quotes for flying my horse over - he's 15.1hh and the cost was around £13,000 plus quarantine:chatterbox:

Unfortunately that means he's going to retire over here when I leave. He is 24 so not sure if it would be fair on him to ship him over anyway - not sure if he'd cope well with the heat. So I'm off to visit a few retirement livery yards next month. I'll be a total mess when I leave him - but coming back once a year to visit!

I'm heading to Melbourne so will be looking for somewhere to ride once I'm settled - and hopefully buy a youngster when I'm there. My boy is a Lusitano who I do a bit of dressage with but not sure how many Lusos have made it to Oz - may have to settle for an Andalusian!

Anyone know of any good yards/trainers? I've done a search and there seems to be lots for beginners but can't find much for the more experienced rider ........?

image.jpg

Edited by Jude

• 2 months later...

Hi

I am moving to Canberra later this year and looking to getting back in the saddle when I arrive.

I had my own horse for 18 yrs (was late starter - mid 20's) general happy hacking and low level dressage (stressage more like!) and jumping. Lost him a few years ago and not ridden for a few years but have really got back into it the last couple of years,not on my own horse but lucky enough to ride a friends, 2-3 times a week and did a couple of local competitions and been hunting, so now really want to own one (maybe two!!) again.

Currently live in the sticks just outside Sevenoaks in Kent, so quite horsey around here and looking for similar in or near Canberra

Does anyone have any knowledge or advice about riding and horses in ACT?

Cheers :biggrin:

Hi

I am moving to Canberra (4-5 months time) does anyone know anything about the horse scene there? buying, lessons, yards and general riding activities or liveries (agistment) etc,

Cheers

Mark

Ahhhh! Thanks so much, this thread has actually made my day!!! :biggrin:

I miss my horses sooo much, I grew up with horses, my mum and my sister and I used to all ride together but I havent owned one or ridden regularly since my last was put down several years ago. I am making it my aim when I get over to Oz (we arrive next month! YAY!!!) to get back in the saddle!

I will be in Perth so if anyone has any hints, tips and advice about where to start it would be great!!

Canberra is quite horsey. Several riding schools and agistment available. I, too, had my own horses is the UK but, despite trying to detach myself and just have lessons, I've found it impossible to ride for 45 minutes a week. I think, coming from a competition background, that I would find the distance one has to travel to compete the biggest hurdle. Otherwise you can have a happy horsey life here