All things 'horse' & 'country' thread.....

Galahad

Er - it's no secret - erm - it's out - I love horses.

I have a horse - I have had many....yes & some all at once...

I love riding in Australia....

Just thought if anyone else wanted to talk about their horses, their wish to own one, particular problems or situations arising from owning horses in Australia - I've been there, done that & loved every minute of it....

Here, at the moment in England I have no 'horse-y' friends (although I have booked myself into a Monty Roberts Clinic in Okehampton, Devon on the 31st October & can't wait!)

But this is only temporary & I will soon be returning to Queensland to be with my beautiful big black horse....

So - if anyone wants to talk about anything - from the troublesome Queensland itch to living on tank water with six horses....to cantering through the State Forest in the Australian sunset.....

I've been riding for more years than I care to count (have most definitely run out of fingers & toes to count with...) & I still get a thrill from being 16hh up - although I admit to a mounting block to get up there now....

But hey - if the horse has four good legs & a good heart, the world is a wonderful place from that vantage point....

....And I would love to hear about your horses - owned, longed for or long gone.....

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest guest17301

I used to ride as a youngster and have promised myself I will get back in the saddle for years..I love horses, the smell of them, the feel of them, their majesticness..is that a word? My next house will be on acreage and I will own a horse..till then lessons for me and mine soon.....

I'm with you, can't wait to start riding again when I get out to Melbourne and hoping my boys will want to learn too - seen so many stables on the east side of Melbourne, looks like we will be having to live close to one of them if I have my way!! So, what is the riding like? Is it any different to English style ie is the tack similar? Riding styles the same??? Xx

There's a great horse tradition in Melbourne - well country Victoria has some of the best land ever....

And some great teachers & trainers..... (I'm talking 'ordinary' riding, not the Melbourne Cup kind !)

'Riding the same?' - well yes & then no....

To a large extent (at Pony Club level) the style is mainly English - whether normal flat riding, jumping or dressage - the same kind of saddles apply....

But then there's Australian riding, as seen done by stock-men/drovers etc. who use a traditional Australian style stock saddle....

Then there's (like other countries) a Western style riding, with the kind of saddles you've seen in the States....

Australian stock-men are some of the best riders in the world & they've never had a dressage lesson in their lives....

All three disciplines are catered for in 'synthetic' tack which to my mind is preferable for a couple of reasons...the lighter weight & the ability to clean - often !

With the heat, you don't want to be constantly saddle-soaping sweaty leather....& doing cross-country, gall-lollo-ping through water as I did, the last thing you want is a baked muddy leather saddle to clean when a hose-down will do !

In the photo it's my trusty 'Wintec 2000' - I did just about everything in that (except shows) trail-riding, jumping, cross-country....great 'everyday saddle'....

If you want to get back 'into it' I suggest joining a local Pony Club as a 'Social Member' & go to a few of the rallies - they're much more 'laid back' than British Pony Clubs....some of the big ones can be 'sort of formal' but the smaller country ones are a mixed bag - everyone welcome - which is the way it should be - always...

Most have websites you can check out.

The thing that puts most boys off equestrian pursuits is the fact that there are so many girls 'poncing about' but if you can introduce the boys to the 'stock-horse' style riding it's populated with many more men & boys....

I've never done Western - done all the other 'English' stuff - so I've sent my horse a blue suede Western saddle & a 'blingy' bridle with conchos on it (my friends are disgusted !)

Don't care - I'm going to learn a new discipline in my dotage (don't ya step on my blue suede saddle!) & be frivolous.....

I'm excited for you - finding out from scratch all about the Australian way - I loved the whole process.....& I'm sure you will too....

Blue SO suits a black ! Hal waiting to go for a ride,early 2008.jpg

Hal waiting to go for a ride,early 2008.jpg

If you can get up to the high country (out near Mansfield in Victoria) and check out some of the trail riding centres it's bloody amazing ;)

Just make sure they know you can already ride so they don't pop you on Dobbin

Or if you can arrange it - get yourself out there for the Mountain Cattleman's cup, that's where you'll see some of the proper Aussie stock riding. (And if you're lucky you might also see a clydesdale / shire horse race ...... full of cheating and fun and games!)

I'm not really horsey, but have enjoyed many a trail ride through the mountains .....

Hi Galahad,

I used to ride, but sadly gave it up in 2003 after an accident, I was at the time riding a 18.5 hand beautiful copper male horse, who was known for being quite temperamental. Prior to my accident I used to ride a 16 hand female but sadly she was getting old and really hacking, trotting and cantering were probably getting a bit too much for her, the stables used her every day, but I felt she was in need of a long rest.... retirement was my thoughts.

I have jumped but always felt as if I would be thrown so didn´t jump too often. I loved trotting and cantering but really was not a fan of the gallop so only did it a few times.

I had thought about buying a horse, but when I had the accident and ended up in hospital I lost a lot of confidence and have only been on horseback twice since, I very often think I might like to get back on, but then realise I am a lot older than I was, plus my confidence really did take a knock with the fall, I still have a big dent in my upper thigh where the muscle was damaged.

Good luck with your riding and all things horsey, I love them too ... such beautiful creatures :yes:

"....we are just starting out with horses, we got the bug after a trial ride in the canadian rockies and want to learn western style

we will be out near maffra, do you know anyone that way? who would be able to take on 2 novices....."

Hi Devon67, - Wow - what an impressive way to be introduced to 'Western' - I bet that was really something....

I don't know anyone individually in your area but I just looked it up & there are two Pony Clubs quite near to you - Briagolong & District Pony Club & Stratford Pony Club....both have websites & phone numbers....

I'd start there for info....

Also you could look on 'Horseland' & 'Saddleworld' websites (both big retail) & they have adverts in their advertizing for clinics etc......

And get the monthly editions of 'Horsedeals' (not necessarily to buy a horse - even though you'll probably want all of them!) but it does have event calendars & articles on who's doing what & where.....

For starters....

JoandJon "....the Mountain Cattleman's cup....."

Already on my to-do list !!!!

I've promised myself that I will do some 'high country' trails one day - although probably not on my present horse.....

He's always been quite a 'hot' horse although we have developed a great partnership over the years - he's still a Thoroughbred....& believe me there have been times when 'Dobbin' will do just nicely Thank you ! :yes:

Hey Shoes - oh just a small horse then !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yikes !!!!!!!!!! :shocked: ".....I was at the time riding a 18.5 hand beautiful copper male horse......" :shocked:

I do know where you're coming from - been there....& there are bits of me that don't work quite so well as they used to also.....

For me the thought of 'not riding' is like 'not breathing'....so I get up again....

My present horse is 22 now (thinks he's 12) & just started to 'quieten down' a bit - or 'grow up'... but we have had a 'bond' which, when it happens, is wonderful......

I remember a child who came to my stables with her mother - a tiny child, about nine....& the mother said 'She must ride - her father wants her to...'

The child was terrified & I said 'Actually no, she doesn't have to - it's not compulsory - she can love horses without actually riding them'....

I've never seen a kid so relieved ! :cool:

Peek-a-boo !.jpg

We groomed this girl for an hour....30 at the time & sadly no longer with me - she went to the great paddock at 33...

Part Arabian x Australian Pony & the gentlest horse ever, especially with the children....

Her mother was with me until 36.....

Peek-a-boo !.jpg

Edited by Galahad
Added photo

Er - it's no secret - erm - it's out - I love horses.

I have a horse - I have had many....yes & some all at once...

I love riding in Australia....

Just thought if anyone else wanted to talk about their horses, their wish to own one, particular problems or situations arising from owning horses in Australia - I've been there, done that & loved every minute of it....

Here, at the moment in England I have no 'horse-y' friends (although I have booked myself into a Monty Roberts Clinic in Okehampton, Devon on the 31st October & can't wait!)

But this is only temporary & I will soon be returning to Queensland to be with my beautiful big black horse....

So - if anyone wants to talk about anything - from the troublesome Queensland itch to living on tank water with six horses....to cantering through the State Forest in the Australian sunset.....

I've been riding for more years than I care to count (have most definitely run out of fingers & toes to count with...) & I still get a thrill from being 16hh up - although I admit to a mounting block to get up there now....

But hey - if the horse has four good legs & a good heart, the world is a wonderful place from that vantage point....

....And I would love to hear about your horses - owned, longed for or long gone.....

My daughter has a pony and competes regularly, today she won the bending race and gynkarna at our local pony club but lucked out on the jumping, she absolutely loves it.

That's great...bad luck about the jumping....

I looove jumping....

What kind of pony is it & how old is your daughter ?

Jake is a Welsh section b pony who we have had for just over 2 years, my daughter is 11 and has been riding for 4 years. Sadly i do not get to see her compete very often as it clashes with my lads rugby and football but i like to watch the videos of it afterwards :yes:

Oh - veeeery nice - I like 'Bs' .....

I see you're in Bucks....have you lived in Australia or are going to ?

There's a lot of 'Welshies' over there....

I imagine Bucks to be quite a good place for horse-riding....

We have not lived there YET but visited last year for 5 weeks, yes Bucks is pretty good, we are very lucky as the mother in law has stables and we get to keep Jake and the wife's horse there free of charge and just have to pay for food and competing as it can all get a bit pricey.

Triple lucky I call that !

Great set-up !

Very fortunate little girl.....any chance of some album pics at some point - it would be great to see Jake & his small person.....

I find keeping horses easier in Australia, but then I never had those kind of facilities at my disposal - what a head start for your daughter....

I've ridden since I was two - a very long time ago! We lived on a farm and my mum bred ponies which I would then help break in (I was the only one small enough to ride them). I competed with the Pony Club and the local riding club - jumping and eventing. Small scale, but fantastic fun. It's a great way to spend your childhood.

About 20 years ago I had a horse on loan, but stopped riding when I was pregnant with my first baby. Since then all my girls have ridden. The eldest is 18 and has just stopped, but the younger two still love it. They don't have their own ponies - we don't have land and have a habit of moving every few years(!), but they have lessons and help out at the stables. It's their favourite time of the week.

When they've all left school in another few years I'll take it up again. My Mum is 71, still riding and competing in dressage on her own, home bred horse, so there's hope for me!

Love this !

You are so right - I too have many good memories & because I would take many children to gymkhanas & shows, I know I have created some too - which feels good....

I have albums (both pre-digital & digital) full of nearly every memory - every ribbon, hard won - especially the jumping as my horse was not a 'natural' jumper (being an ex-stayer) & had to be taught....

Surprisingly (for such a big 'beefy-looking' horse) he was an absolute wimp over fences - at first....

Then something 'clicked' in his head & he started to really enjoy it & I never had a refusal after that 'light-bulb-moment'.... :eek:

I'm sure you will take it up again - I have many friends who had 'long gaps' (as did I) while the children were small & money was tight...but what an example you have in your Mum !!!!!

That's wonderful !!!!

I am impressed - although I'm sure your mother would wave this admiration away with an elegantly gloved hand....that is fantastic.... :notworthy:

I saw the Japanese rider at the London Olympics, Hiroshu Hoketsu - he's 71 too...

There's hope for us all, whatever our chronological age....

....Although Hoketsu rises early every morning and attacks practice sessions with as much zeal as riders young enough to be his grandchildren, he confesses he does not adhere to the dietary regimen you might expect from an Olympic athlete.

"I eat what I want to eat and drink as much as I want to drink," said Hoketsu through an interpreter. "People might expect that I am able to participate for so long because I have special habits.

But my secret is to have a good life, enjoy yourself and do the things that make you happy.... "

And Amen to that !!

Hiroshi Hoketsu.jpg

Hiroshi Hoketsu.jpg

He's incredible! Mum's not quite on that scale (!), but she does love pottering around local places in Cheshire.

We went trail riding in Croatia this summer which was lovely. There's something very special about horses - even my non riding, non horsey friend was converted by the time we got back and she was absolutely terrified before we set off!

You're so lucky to be taking your horse to Australia - I love the beach and trail riding there.

Guest Guest16631

.............beautiful animals ,.........my eldest had a 12 year old Appaloosa mare when he was 12 .............they did a bit of barrel raceing ,........but mainly just used to race down the beach..............she still lives with us ...........but she's 27 now and has a little minature recued horse for company.................though looks like something out of thellwell as she is overweight and suffers from founder...........I havn't ridden since my late teens...........but taught a little.............both other people's kids and my own..........!

Hi, I'm coming over to Sydney soon to start a new job and hoping to find a good stables where I can have a few lessons and hack out. I would LOVE to have my own horse or horse share at some point once I'm settled. Can anyone recommend a good place to go around the Sydney area? I will be living somewhere in the Western Suburbs once I've found somewhere more permanent to live. I love riding but have never really been part of the 'horsey' set in England.. I'm not massively bothered about jumping or competing, I just want to ensure a nice ride out in the countryside with a few gallops along the way. So excited to ride in such a lovely country.

lovely pictures galahad :)

Hi to you all.

Hoping you can all help me, I have ridden for years and compete in the uk in Dressage and I'm affiliated with British Dressage and slowly have moved up the levels to medium,(I prefere competing affiliated to get points and be able to move up the levels rather than doing club level dressage for fun) unfortunatly the shipping costs where to much for my mare and she was also a little worrier bless her so she is staying in the UK with a lovely new owner. We will be living in Berwick just east of Melbourne and I plan to get another horse when we have found our feet. I will want to compete in Dressage and wonder how it all works over there if anyone can explain it to me and give me ideas of keeping horses in Berwick area and where do you compete I would be greatful also how do you keep them in Melbourne climate? In the UK mine where stabled at night from Sept to May as it's sooooo cold here !!!!

So excited to get to Oz and start looking for a new horse as its been very hard leaving my gorgeous mare. :-(

many thanks