We've run out of money (nearly), eeeeek!

Polkey

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you all for your replies. It's nothing we haven't already discussed but it's good to hear we're covering all bases. I don't mind commuting and can get train from Varsity Lakes or Robina, I did the journey once or twice a week last time we were here.

Just got to get the prayer mats out and hope something happens in the next week or we're toast!

Polkey

I was at Australia Fair shopping centre last Saturday and 2 or 3 shops had signs in the windows for store staff. It may be worth taking a look ,even if its just to tide you over until something else comes up. Id also check out the other shopping centres on the coast as lots of shops in places like this dont advertise on the net for staff.

Cal x

But if you live somewhere like Broadbeach, then you'd have to take a bus to Coomera or better yet Nerang. That can be quite expensive, unless there is a deal I do not know of. What do you think?
Broadbeach would be too far for me. We bought a house in Hope Island and drive every day, didn't like the train to be honest, leave at 7, at my desk around 8, head home at 4, get home at 5 I'm just outside the CBD (north) so parking is $8 per day or free with a small walk. Early bird parking in the city seems about $10 and I spend about $100 pw on fuel.

Agree with KOG, love living on the Gold coast, have a lovely waterfront house in a secure resort not far from beaches, boating and the broadwater, just wish I could work here too & not travel to bris.

Guest Ptp113
Thank you all for your replies. It's nothing we haven't already discussed but it's good to hear we're covering all bases. I don't mind commuting and can get train from Varsity Lakes or Robina, I did the journey once or twice a week last time we were here.

Just got to get the prayer mats out and hope something happens in the next week or we're toast!

90% of people looking for employment apply for positions the way 10% of employers actually hire people. Are you one of them?

So, D-Day has arrived. The savings are past the point of no return and we have been forced to make the awful decision that it's fly back to the UK or risk being homeless, with a 3 yr old. It's a no brainer unfortunately. Needless to say we are gutted and I have cried on and off, randomly for the last few days. Thank you to everyone for all your comments above, we have literally tried everything... even contacted Centrelink. Flights have been changed and we leave in 2 weeks, flat broke.

Au Revoir Australia, I will miss you. x

So, D-Day has arrived. The savings are past the point of no return and we have been forced to make the awful decision that it's fly back to the UK or risk being homeless, with a 3 yr old. It's a no brainer unfortunately. Needless to say we are gutted and I have cried on and off, randomly for the last few days. Thank you to everyone for all your comments above, we have literally tried everything... even contacted Centrelink. Flights have been changed and we leave in 2 weeks, flat broke.

So how is returning to blighty going to sort your finances?

Oh my God, i'm gutted for u, I know u have booked your flights but could you not contact agencies again, take a rubbish job for now?! I got a minimum wage job to start with. I know its all been said before, but such a shame. we have been here for 9months and it is tough going, its been our dreams for over 25 years to move to Oz, but i'm finding its not all is cracked up to be, very different from my travelling around Oz days. Its a shame you haven't had the opportunity to see if it would work for you properly. the UK is great for so much in hind sight, enjoy it! X

Sorry to here your storey, I feel for you guys, if you don't mind me asking how much did you have in $ when you landed in Australia, also what are both your trades, are you PR holders

So, we arrived on the Gold Coast on the 16th June... happy as Larry, ready to get the ball rolling again (we were briefly here 4 years ago but went back to UK to have our Son). Gradually, the weeks have rolled by and neither my husband or myself have had a sniff of any permanent work.

We've been here 10 weeks and the money is rapidly disappearing. We are so happy and settled in every way... in a rental, son in Kindy and having swimming lessons etc, enjoying the warmer winters and just getting on with things. I suppose we just never envisaged it taking SOOOOOOOO long to get work! We didn't come over with a lot of money but have been very careful with what we have... it's just taking too long to get work and now we are having to consider the fact that we may have to go back to the UK if we cant find work ASAP.

This is slightly rambled but, I suppose what I'm asking you all is, what the hell should we do? I'm applying for jobs (both in my field and very much not in my field!) left right and centre, I've changed my CV as per suggestions on PIO, I'm literally applying for 3-4 per day... for 10 weeks... that's lots of jobs! I honestly don't believe I'm that unemployable!!! My husband can only really get casual work for the odd day here and there but the crux of it is, we've only really got enough money left to last another 4 weeks at the most. The days that husband is getting work for is paying for food etc but is it only slowing the inevitable?

Do we hang on til the bitter end in the hope that the sun will shine on us and a job will appear or do we cut our losses and 'organise' to go back to the UK before the wallet is empty (but still with our fingers crossed that something will happen before it's too late)!?

I know there is no real answers to my problems but just thought I'd put it out there in case anyone else has been in the same situation recently.

THANKS xx

i struggled for a long time to find work here in melbourne but eventually got a good job..no consolation to you i know...we are moving back after nearly 5 years partly because of the expense between us we earn around $150,000 a year and have a comfortable life but thats it renting food gas electric petrol school the list is endless we just cant keep up.hope it works out for you both good luck

Sorry to here your storey, I feel for you guys, if you don't mind me asking how much did you have in $ when you landed in Australia, also what are both your trades, are you PR holders

We arrived with about £12000, but bought a car when we got here for about £3000... That blew up after a couple of months(god damn it). We've not splashed out, haven't been out for dinner etc. my husband and I lived here 4 years ago so had some idea on cost etc but managed to get work straight away... We have a child now so you look at things a little differently ( and have added costs).

Im in clerical work and my husband is a hairdresser. He's managed to get very casual work Lin like 4 different salons... But on a 'we'll let u know at the beginning of the week basis' so it isn't necessarily a full week every week. It's just too much of a gamble when there's only a few weeks money left in the bank.

i struggled for a long time to find work here in melbourne but eventually got a good job..no consolation to you i know...we are moving back after nearly 5 years partly because of the expense between us we earn around $150,000 a year and have a comfortable life but thats it renting food gas electric petrol school the list is endless we just cant keep up.hope it works out for you both good luck

If you can't live well on $150k you are doing something wrong

We arrived with about £12000, but bought a car when we got here for about £3000... That blew up after a couple of months(god damn it). We've not splashed out, haven't been out for dinner etc. my husband and I lived here 4 years ago so had some idea on cost etc but managed to get work straight away... We have a child now so you look at things a little differently ( and have added costs).

Im in clerical work and my husband is a hairdresser. He's managed to get very casual work Lin like 4 different salons... But on a 'we'll let u know at the beginning of the week basis' so it isn't necessarily a full week every week. It's just too much of a gamble when there's only a few weeks money left in the bank.

I remember we were in the same situation as u to start with, I couldn't get a job, boyfriend doing bits of work, and the bank balance sounded similar to yours. We nearly bought a car in the first few Weeks but luckily as we were waiting to buy it the seller rocked up (late) having already sold it, it WA a blessing in disguise as we didn't have jobs at that point, thinking we would have no probs in finding one!!?

Sorry things haven't worked out for you. Good luck with your return:hug:

If you can't live well on $150k you are doing something wrong

im not saying we cant live if you read it properly you will see that....what im saying is $150,000 is a wage that enables us to get by...i never moved here to be a millionaire nor did i move here to live a very average life which because of the cost of living here is what weve got...you have either got a higher paid job or not been here very long or live on out of date food from aldi

...you have either got a higher paid job or not been here very long or live on out of date food from aldi

The other category (which I think he fits in) is people who have been here for ages and/or natives, who don't have to contend with the high housing cost that newer migrants have to deal with. That's what makes the key difference for most. Easy to live on much less than $150K if you're not shelling out $4K a month after tax on where you live

Guest Bazinga

We rent, shop, eat out monthly, run two cars, have two kids and pay bills all on one wage (well husband has two jobs) of under $85000. It probably does depend on where you live though.

I'm so sorry it hasn't worked out for you. All the best.

I'm so sorry that it has worked out this way. I spend much of my working life with people who don't want to work and are happy to live off the state. It's really sad that people come here full of optimism, skill and willing to graft hard and can't find a place for themselves. It's a loss for Australia too. I wish you well for your return home.

I know it's no help but my sister-in-law works for the local government and when I spoke to her yesterday she told me that 20,000 people were being made redundant in SE Queensland. She might be next on the list. She has years of experience and has been looking round for jobs but she said there is nothing out there.

Guest GeorgeD

A guy in my office's girlfriend worked for the State Government and lost her job a month ago. She found a new one in an office...and has just been told that her office is being closed and the role is being merged with an office in Sydney in a couple of months. It really isn't easy to find work in and aroudn Brisbane right now. The Gold Coast will be just as bad.

£12,000 or £120,000?

I haven't read all the suggestions in this thread but I think you need to look outside your area and consider moving to another locale within Australia. Apply for jobs all over and settle where you get work.

Also, I can't over-emphasise the value of temp work. Sign up with an agency as a temp worker and take anything they offer you. Even if you're sitting on reception you might get your foot in the door with a company. I did this once - got a job doing temp holiday cover, it evolved into another temp holiday role with the same company and then to a permanent role.

I'm sure you've had plenty of other excellent suggestions so good luck in whatever you decide.

Archived