Will be living on the beach for 14 weeks at this rate :/

Aussieange

Hi lovely people,

My one way flights are booked for 6th October, and can I find somewhere to live? No! If I knew our accommodation was sorted, I'd start to enjoy all the planning involved with the big move.

I'm going to Sydney, was looking at settling/renting in the Inner West area. But, what do people do in the interim 10-14 weeks when all your furniture is at sea? Furnished apartments/serviced places are so expensive!

Help!

Thanks,

A

What seems to be popular is to take short term furnished accommodation for 2-3 weeks and then look for their initial longer term 6-12 month rental once on the ground in those early weeks. You'll need a few blow up beds and some basic nik naks for the kitchen and stuff but usually can find things on Gumtree or being sold 2nd hand or given away to tie you over till your shipping arrives.

• 2 weeks later...

I feel like giving up!! Surely there is somewhere that doesn't charge extortionate rates for a short term furnished let?? Have any of you guys had any luck? I have a wife and 2 kids or I'd be happy sleeping on the beach (and may have to at this rate) All I've been able to find is just about all I'll be earning. Its a catch 22, you can't find permanent while still in the UK and temp is $1000 per week plus for a family

Hi W8ENN, I've actually given up now! I've taken snifter up on her suggestion and booked the first few weeks in a hostel (http://www3.yha.com.au/) and will look for a long term unfurnished rent when I get there. I'll have no furniture, but I'd rather sleep on blow up beds than pay the $1000 per week. Luckily it's just me and my 19 year old Son, so we don't mind slumming it for the 10 weeks it takes for the furniture to arrive :)

I hope you find something soon x

You can rent furniture pretty reasonably, all you really need is some beds and a fridge. Second hand joints will sometimes sell you tables and chairs and agree to buy them back for $50 less or so, or else buy from the small ads and sell the stuff again when your bits turn up.

Another alternative for furniture is to drive round areas with a council clean up and just knock on doors and ask if it is okay to take things which have been left out for the council. I often see chairs, tables and things left out.

We managed to secure a six month rental from the UK with the help of a relocation agent which may be worth considering, particularly if you have small children and want to get settled as quickly as possible. It was costly, but it was less expensive than paying for a short term let in a holiday home. She looked around rental properties in our chosen area, took loads of photos, negotiated with the real estate agents and submitted our application. The advantage was that we moved in to a property the day after we arrived. She also arranged furniture hire for us.

Hi lovely people,

My one way flights are booked for 6th October, and can I find somewhere to live? No! If I knew our accommodation was sorted, I'd start to enjoy all the planning involved with the big move.

I'm going to Sydney, was looking at settling/renting in the Inner West area. But, what do people do in the interim 10-14 weeks when all your furniture is at sea? Furnished apartments/serviced places are so expensive!

Help!

Thanks,

A

Book some short term / holiday accommodation for 3 or 4 weeks for arrival, $1000 a week for a family sounds entirely reasonable. Once you get here you look for your long term rental and indoor camp in it until your furniture arrives.

Another alternative for furniture is to drive round areas with a council clean up and just knock on doors and ask if it is okay to take things which have been left out for the council. I often see chairs, tables and things left out.

We managed to secure a six month rental from the UK with the help of a relocation agent which may be worth considering, particularly if you have small children and want to get settled as quickly as possible. It was costly, but it was less expensive than paying for a short term let in a holiday home. She looked around rental properties in our chosen area, took loads of photos, negotiated with the real estate agents and submitted our application. The advantage was that we moved in to a property the day after we arrived. She also arranged furniture hire for us.

Hi - just seen your post and found it very helpful. Can I ask which relocation agent you used, the approximate cost and explain how they obtain a rental on your behalf if you're not in the country?? Any advice on this matter would be great, as I am really starting to stress out trying to find short-term rental whist finding longer term rental - and the cost of short-term is just outrageous!

Thanks, Alexandra x

• 2 weeks later...

The cost of short term furnished rentals (holiday rentals) is reasonable it is cheaper than a hotel if you need more than one room and you save money by not having to eat out doing your own laundry etc. And have a whole house to spread out in.

You have no other bills to pay. Many of the rates for short term rentals are based on holiday makers who want brakfast goods and room service. It is always worth asking about longer term rates and saying you do not need the place serviced as you can clean and wash linen yourself etc. Even for a three week stay we got a considerable discount. The landlord will be pricing to allow for frequent linen changing and cleaning if they do not need to do this they can offer discounts.

Archived