Pomsinoz - Family Meals Under $20

Guest The Pom Queen

Pancakes (crepes) filled with savoury mince or leftover roast chook or chopped up pork chops with some fried onions and veg :)

Yummo !!!

Oh, and don't buy crepes - make them, they're dead cheap and sooo easy it's just disturbing :)

Heat 30g butter and 1.5 cups of milk in the microwave to melt and warm

Put 150g plain flour in a bowl (I sifted it) and crack in 2 eggs, mix to start to combine.

Add the milk mixture and whisk till it's smooth

Let it sit for as long as you can before using (an hour is great, but 5 minutes will do!)

Haven't priced it up exactly, but it'll be cheaper than buying the mixture stuff :)

Oh and you can use the same mix for yorkshires - or make it thicker and call it pikelets :)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pasta with chorizo and mascapone

delicious

onion 1

Tin of tomatoes 1

Garlic glove 1

Paprika 1tablesppon

masapone 150 g

penne pasta

Cut onion and heat pan 2 tablespoon of olive oil sweat onion

until soft and sweet cut chorizo add and add paprika

add garlic add tomato and simmer 20-30 mins

boil penne add pasta to the sauce

add mascapone simmer for five mins

salt and pepper to taste

honestly lovely

chicken noodle soup

spaghetti with roasted garlic and olive oil

tortilla wraps

quesadillas ( stick your leftovers between 2 loaves of tortilla bread, add some cheese and maybe avocado)

baked beans with rice

tacos with minced meat

breaded cauliflower with potatoes

rice and lentils w/caramelized onions

• 2 weeks later...

$20 gets you a van load of homebrand noodles. With a fried egg on top and some salad on the side. Cheap as. Just don't use the little packet of MSG they supply with the noodles! :laugh:

Also, you can often get 10 marinated skewers from Woolies or your local butcher for $10. Serve with rice and soy sauce, with steamed veg on the side. A quick meal.

Or another cheap meal, fry bacon and onions, add some mushrooms, then some cream. Add to your favourite pasta. Pepper to taste.

Guest guest17301

Minced lamb curry

500g minced lamb

large onion

mushrooms

green capsicum

packet of curry spice paste

half a cup of low fat yoghurt

2 cups water

Serve with boiled jasmine or basmati rice. Had this for dinner, was really nice, the packet spice pastes are cheaper than the jars, in the asian section at Coles under $2

corned beef hash...fry onions garlic, add 2 tins corned beef...add sliced cooked spuds on top in cassorole dish...sprinkle with loads of cheese////30 mins in oven...superb a mon do.

My hubby makes this with chilli, capsicum and spring onion, we make it in a pan and use semi skimmed milk for the liquid

Depending whether I am eating 'Italian' - half a jar of pasta sauce, small tin of tuna, any spare veggies, eg runner beans, and a mug of pasta - or 'Asian' - half a tin of tomatoes, small tin of tuna, runner beans, and a cup of rice, both on toast - that's for one, so multiply portions accordingly.

This week I'm spinning out a green curry with lamb, which has lasted me two days so far, $8.14 for 450gms of lamb, $3.49 for the green curry sauce, $3.79 for the couscous - only used one packet, and added some mushrooms and tomatoes but I'll be eating them all week on my sandwiches too.

Meatballs - get your mince -finely chop an onion & some garlic, lightly fry, add to minced beef or lamb, mix in an egg, salt, pepper & whatever herbs or spices (I use Bush Spice), roll in to balls put in fridge for 30mins to firm up. You can then either fry and serve with home made pasta sauce & spaghetti or we like this sauce as a treat

sauce: 1/2 cup of ketchup, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup of Jack Daniels (obviously if you have to go and buy this then you`ll blow the budget but if you have it ... or you can substitute for other alcohol) dash of lemon juice, dash of worcestershire sauce,mix it all together put meatballs in slow cooker, add the sauce turn on the slow cooker and leave it to do it`s thing. Serve with homemade potato wedges.