London 2012: Olympics

StevieF8

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are perpetually convinced that the Aussie rowing team are on the attack...give it up! We can all see the Brits are half a length ahead and 'coasting'.

Check out the athletics commentary fleabo - like chalk and cheese

Rowing: Totally partisan, suspect level of knowledge, obsessed solely with Australians or how other nations are "cheating" them, garbage

Athletics: WAY more balanced, well-informed, patriotic but delighting in the competition and the efforts of all competitors. Credit where it's due, it's excellent

It's like the difference in the SMH between Richard Hinds (great incisive writing) and Rupert Guinness (pathetic boganistic rabble rousing and clutching at straws to whine about technical infringements). Fair restores my faith in the ability of the media here to cover a sports event without being total bellends

Yes - have picked that up. I guess Channel 9 just hired some Joe's from a local pub to commentate on the rowing.

Check out the athletics commentary fleabo - like chalk and cheese

Rowing: Totally partisan, suspect level of knowledge, obsessed solely with Australians or how other nations are "cheating" them, garbage

Athletics: WAY more balanced, well-informed, patriotic but delighting in the competition and the efforts of all competitors. Credit where it's due, it's excellent

It's like the difference in the SMH between Richard Hinds (great incisive writing) and Rupert Guinness (pathetic boganistic rabble rousing and clutching at straws to whine about technical infringements). Fair restores my faith in the ability of the media here to cover a sports event without being total bellends

Yes - have picked that up. I guess Channel 9 just hired some Joe's from a local pub to commentate on the rowing.

No even worse than that - they're from the AFL Footy Show!!! Just be eternally grateful that they didn't have Sam Newman with them.

Got to admit that the athletics is much better. Even my wife couldn't believe how one-eyed the rowing commentary was and she's a proper one-eyed Aussie (family of Port Adelaide fans; they remove an eye at birth apparently).

Great Olympics, loving it.

What I don't get is that the most "private school" of all sports, rowing - even here it's a posh boy's sport - appeared to be covered by a couple of p!ssheads in fluoro T shirts. Weird.

Still, enough of my snobbery. I'm still midly irritated that a piece on the SMH website yesterday about the women's Heptathlon that suggested the name of the even was "Latinesque" wasn't open for comment. Honestly, I don't want to be a pommie intellectual snob, but I was itching to correct them. What happened to newspaper sub-editors all being second-rate Classics scholars?

:biggrin:

What I don't get is that the most "private school" of all sports, rowing - even here it's a posh boy's sport - appeared to be covered by a couple of p!ssheads in fluoro T shirts. Weird.

Funny how people always say Rowing is for the posh school boys,

Rowing Club near mine,

http://www.lvrc.co.uk/

About the Adult Learn to Row Programme

The club offers 4 sessions (2 Saturdays and 2 Wednesdays) to new adult beginners who wish to try out the sport of rowing. During these sessions beginners will be coached on rowing machines and on the water. At the end of the programme they should have an idea of whether or not they want to continue and become club members. The cost for the whole programme of sessions is £30.

So £7.50 per session to see if you like it or if you're any good at it

Full Year Membership: £280 (£28 per month for 10 months)....not that 'elitist' really

Funny how people always say Rowing is for the posh school boys,

Yeah - because it is

Not because it's particularly difficult or expensive to take it up or get involved. But because 90%+ of those who are involved started at (private) school, and it's reinforced through the (almost wholly private) school competitions and then the university competitions that are dominated by the products of private school

I'm not taking an opinion stance on this, whether it's a good thing or a bad thing I don't care. But making out rowing isn't dominated by private school people isn't right. It's the same in Oz fwiw, check out the "Head of the River" competition fought out by the old NSW private schools for an example

My dad was a grammar school boy who rowed for Cambridge, I rowed for my Uni (NOT Oxbridge!), my outlaw are from Marlow and are leading lights of the Marlow Rowing Club (I've rowed for them in their regattas on a couple of occasions), when I lived in the UK I went to Henley most years, so I do know something of what I'm talking about. As a comp boy (albeit not a chavvy or skint one) I have always felt in a tiny minority in those social circles. Like I said, not saying it's good or bad; just the way it is

Yeah - because it is

Not because it's particularly difficult or expensive to take it up or get involved. But because 90%+ of those who are involved started at (private) school, and it's reinforced through the (almost wholly private) school competitions and then the university competitions that are dominated by the products of private school

I'm not taking an opinion stance on this, whether it's a good thing or a bad thing I don't care. But making out rowing isn't dominated by private school people isn't right. It's the same in Oz fwiw, check out the "Head of the River" competition fought out by the old NSW private schools for an example

My dad was a grammar school boy who rowed for Cambridge, I rowed for my Uni (NOT Oxbridge!), my outlaw are from Marlow and are leading lights of the Marlow Rowing Club (I've rowed for them in their regattas on a couple of occasions), when I lived in the UK I went to Henley most years, so I do know something of what I'm talking about. As a comp boy (albeit not a chavvy or skint one) I have always felt in a tiny minority in those social circles. Like I said, not saying it's good or bad; just the way it is

But isn’t it just the opposite with football...

If you go to a school where they have it as part of the sports program, you do it more, train more, compete more, they can filter out the best ones and therefore have an advantage and more of a chance of going on to do it in the Olympics

Whereas 'poorer' schools have a playground or playing fields where football is played more than other sports and so that’s where most footballers seem to come from

You only ever seem get these kind of comparisons with sports and 'elitism' during the Olympics....never during the World Cup...and look at the wages footballers get compared to rowers....

You only ever seem get these kind of comparisons with sports and 'elitism' during the Olympics....never during the World Cup...and look at the wages footballers get compared to rowers....
\

I think you're tilting at windmills a bit - I don't see anyone worrying about elitism

You've got to remember where the modern Olympic movement came from - it was set up by the upper classes to provide an international competition for amateurs - ie, in the main, people of independent means who did their sports as a bit of a hobby. It centered around the sports they played, and there was a definite class element to it. By the simple expedient of excluding professionals and professional sports, they excluded most of the working classes' games - no football, rugby league, hurling, gaelic football, aussie rules, baseball etc etc. It was athletics, shooting, archery, rowing, sailing, and so on (I mean, Modern Pentathlon, come on). The legacy of that lives on, although they bring in and discard some sports every year of course

Again I'm not taking a view as to what *should* have happened - just reflecting the origins of where the Olympic movement actually came from in the late 19th century. Since then it has transcended those classist roots and I don't think there's really any concern these days as to where people come from. All I was doing on the rowing comments was noting that it's a sport that's largely based in the products of private school. Which is a fact for many of the countries involved, and certainly where Team GB are concerned. Doesn't make them any less committed or valid athetes of course

Fwiw i think rowing IS an obviously elitist type sport,but as the link to the Liverpool rowing club put up by stevie shows there IS opportunities to break into it,i think attitude/awareness has a lot to do with it,IE i didnt even know it existed(the club that is)

So if kids or whoever are a bit open minded and not so entrenched in their thinking then i see no reason why others cant break into the sport,its just a question of steering people away from thinking that rowing is for rich upper class types alone

Yeah - because it is

Apparently GB rowing has addressed the imbalance in the sport already. BBC ran a report, read it here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-19109724

Interesting bit re the rowing

Rowing has already taken action to address the imbalance - with Moe Sbihi, who won bronze in the men's eight yesterday, one of the beneficiaries. A programme was launched more than a decade ago to pick teenagers with the necessary physique from comprehensive schools to become elite rowers.

At this Games, 50% of the rowing team are from state schools.