Wanted Down Under part of the filming what farce! DO NOT COME TO AUSTRALIA!

GreatToBeBritish

Hi all

I am amazed that anyone could take this programme seriously. Its like all those programmes they used to do about moving to Spain - they even had a series about how you could get incredibly cheap property in the the wilds of Eastern Europe and flew people out there to have a look.

I think WDU is hilarious because many of the families seem to be constantly on the brink of a major row (manufactured no doubt) and others are clearly there for the free holiday - oh, and they are almost always shocked about the price of property (don't they have internet?).

I love this show because you get to see what Ozzie properties are like, should you ever actually get a visa. My favourite bit is the sobbing round the lap top at the end, as they say goodbye to their relatives (who they are going to see in about three days).

Day time telly. Says it all.

A few months ago a friend of mine asked me to come over to her house as the Wanted Down Under team were filming an update on them about their move to Oz etc.

I had to laugh to myself. Talk about it all being staged. I had to come through the door bright and smily. (it took 3 attempts). Then we all sat around the table and we had to say

''Oh life is so great over here .. so much opportunity, the weather! the Austalians! So great for the kids .. etc..etc...''

They have been over here for 2 years now and the husband as still yet to get a job.

I don't actually come on here very often because I am too busy working 60 hours a week (same for my husband) just to make ends meet.

If I had my time again I would certainly not have emigrated. We are so much worse off here than in the UK.

I don't want to offend the ''Australian Lovers'' but this is how it is for us. The only reason why my friend did the film shoot is because they were getting paid. Funny that ...

yours is just as valuable as the positive posts to people going...why say sorry.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
I did the same earlier at $20 an hour but decided not to post it....then I found this

Australia's minimum wage is $15.96 per hour x 60 hours a week x 48 weeks of the year (assumed 4 week unpaid holidays) = $46,000 x 2 people = $92,000

($100,000 if holidays are paid)

Even after Super, Medi and Tax you have still got to be looking at a take home pay of $3,000 each

If you are working for a company that is only paying you for 35-40 hours a week and expecting you to work 20+ hours a week for free then its you own fault; a)for doing it & b)for not changing jobs

OOOOOPS blows it all out of the water, well spotted McDuff, lol

Guest Guest26012

We both work normal hours here! Me 70 hours a fortnight, hubby, 40 hours a fortnight! We have a large mortgage, car loan and personal loan and we still manage to live ok. Ok, we don't have kids here but we regularly send money back to the uk to support daughter who is at uni! I think the op is unhappy here and has a slight bias to their life here and how bad it is lol!

Guest ajmcom

Appeared in October 2011....lots of people went and now have no jobs too

Australia wants the Irish to work – in their thousands according to a regional government Minister at a Dublin employment conference.

Families queued in the rain to attend the Working Abroad Expo at the RDS where experts offered key advice on work prospects for those ready to emigrate.

Rob Knight, Northern Territory Minister for Business and Employment, told those present that Australia has tens of thousands of jobs to fill and said his region alone desperately needs skilled workers for the construction, mining and services industry.

Knight, who confirmed that unemployment in the Northern Territory was at around 4%, openly invited Irish jobseekers to consider his region of Australia.

“We need people with skills and we need them fast,” said the Minister at the event that also attracted prospective employers from Canada and New Zealand.

One recruitment company attended the event with the sole intention of recruiting 500 construction workers for vacancies in Western Australia.

A spokesman for Osborne Recruitment said it had experienced a ‘surge in demand’ from the region, which is experiencing a mining and mineral boom.

READ MORE:

Irish emigrants are flocking to Western Australia

Australia seeks to hire 150,000 of Ireland's unemployed says minister

Estimates say the region will need 150,000 extra workers by 2017.

Brendan Murphy, CEO of Osborne Recruitment, said “Emigration is now a possibility for families as well as younger single people.

“It can be a great opportunity for single people and families alike. Many of our clients pay for the relocation of full families supplying them with accommodation and support in finding good schools for employee’s children.

“Irish workers are greatly in demand in Australia, as our education system has traditionally been recognized as very strong.

“Our clients are seeking Irish employees in particular as they have found them to be reliable and hard workers. Irish productivity rates are among the highest in the OECD and in Europe for many years.

“Our clients also find that Irish workers integrate well into the workplace, socially and culturally.”

Seriously though, if someone emigrated to Australia where they have an unemployment rate of a mere 5% and is unable to get a job in two years, does that not mean the person is doing something wrong? Things can definitely not be that bad? :confused:

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Seriously though, if someone emigrated to Australia where they have an unemployment rate of a mere 5% and is unable to get a job in two years, does that not mean the person is doing something wrong? Things can definitely not be that bad? :confused:

Mmmmmmm another food for thought post, good one.

Dunno... id probably be the best guinea pig for that one if i go to perth lol ive found it hard to get a job here so if i struggle to find any job in perth then its probably something im doing!

I used to watch WDU quite a lot, tbh i just liked looking at the scenery and beaches! the actual program isnt great tbh, soooooo cheesy and i hated the bit where sometimes the family would beg them not to leave. and like someone else said - they were all crying even though they were going to see each other in a few days :SLEEP:

Hi

I don't think this is a rant about WDU it's more a cynical exaggerated view of Oz.

We all know it's just TV, I guess some people do have a total nightmare when immigrating but if that was me there is no way I would be unemployed for that length of time, I would clean toilets or scrape up skippy the road kill anythin just to work.

Maybe they just wanted a right good moan as we all do sometimes and it came across a bit silly in my opinion. A little misguided we have all done it.

Maybe it was meant to be treated the same as TV NOT TO BE TAKEN TOO SERIOUSLY.

Jason

Dunno... id probably be the best guinea pig for that one if i go to perth lol ive found it hard to get a job here so if i struggle to find any job in perth then its probably something im doing!

I used to watch WDU quite a lot, tbh i just liked looking at the scenery and beaches! the actual program isnt great tbh, soooooo cheesy and i hated the bit where sometimes the family would beg them not to leave. and like someone else said - they were all crying even though they were going to see each other in a few days :SLEEP:

me and my family were on wdu this year,tho i didnt cry my wife and 2 of the kids did....they knew they were going 2 see them in a few days time but at the time wen watching family/friends im sure it made them think about actually leaving them.so i have 2 disagree with last bit scottishstacey.agree the program shite tho but sometimes in situations for some its hard 2 control their feelings.

Hi

I have cried at a lot less mate to be honest. I think the thought of leavin older relatives is a big emotional strain and I am male who would more than likely bubble a bit. But then I once cried at an advert.

Jason

jason,i wasnt having a pop at stacey,just saying really that some people r more emotional than others,wen they filmed us with camera on us i didnt cry,dint want 2 on tv lol,but wen they filmed again from behind us str8 after i had a tear in my eye,it is hard 2 hear friends and family saying good things about u and that they will miss u,yes we know that anyway but its still hard 2 take,but like i said str8 after as others were crying was that if we make the move then this is the reality of it.

Appeared in October 2011....lots of people went and now have no jobs too

Australia wants the Irish to work – in their thousands according to a regional government Minister at a Dublin employment conference.

Families queued in the rain to attend the Working Abroad Expo at the RDS where experts offered key advice on work prospects for those ready to emigrate.

Rob Knight, Northern Territory Minister for Business and Employment, told those present that Australia has tens of thousands of jobs to fill and said his region alone desperately needs skilled workers for the construction, mining and services industry.

Knight, who confirmed that unemployment in the Northern Territory was at around 4%, openly invited Irish jobseekers to consider his region of Australia.

“We need people with skills and we need them fast,” said the Minister at the event that also attracted prospective employers from Canada and New Zealand.

One recruitment company attended the event with the sole intention of recruiting 500 construction workers for vacancies in Western Australia.

A spokesman for Osborne Recruitment said it had experienced a ‘surge in demand’ from the region, which is experiencing a mining and mineral boom.

READ MORE:

Irish emigrants are flocking to Western Australia

Australia seeks to hire 150,000 of Ireland's unemployed says minister

Estimates say the region will need 150,000 extra workers by 2017.

Brendan Murphy, CEO of Osborne Recruitment, said “Emigration is now a possibility for families as well as younger single people.

“It can be a great opportunity for single people and families alike. Many of our clients pay for the relocation of full families supplying them with accommodation and support in finding good schools for employee’s children.

“Irish workers are greatly in demand in Australia, as our education system has traditionally been recognized as very strong.

“Our clients are seeking Irish employees in particular as they have found them to be reliable and hard workers. Irish productivity rates are among the highest in the OECD and in Europe for many years.

“Our clients also find that Irish workers integrate well into the workplace, socially and culturally.”

From the Irish the move was towards Americans. Don't hear much said about either anymore. A few years back there was discussion bringing in Polish miners. You are very correct. Most folk without the skills will not get a look into the mines. I have heard some of the Irish and other foreigners that did make it up there take their respite in Bali. Perth with pints at $12 being too expensive even for those earning above average.

I hate that program too, they mind wash all the folks back in the UK, how fantastic life is here in Utopia.Ha Ha, glad to get back in 16 days time.

Sadly I suspect all too many folk do buy into the unreality of it all but there fault for falling for it. Surely in this day and age the manipulative power of the media should be understood by the majority? Escapism has always been popular though.

Sadly I suspect all too many folk do buy into the unreality of it all but there fault for falling for it. Surely in this day and age the manipulative power of the media should be understood by the majority? Escapism has always been popular though.

just look at that Ping Pom Pom show, blatantly one sided, edited to within an inch of it's life.

Reality TV is total pants. Avoid it at all costs.

We made the pilot episode of this show ,way back in 2006. We also filmed an update a couple of years ago. You dont get paid for doing it, they will cover any out of pocket expenses you incur.

After making the Pilot and then watching it back months later it was funny and actually quite amazing how clever the editing is. How things happening on different days ,appear to happen together and the biggest thing we noticed was how your words can be 'protrayed'.They did NOT say , 'You have to say ABC or D, but they did 'hint' at how they wanted the conversation to go..' .

In the end it was a fab exprience and something the kids can look back on, we laughed at ourselves and didnt take offence at how they had done it, despite some negative comments from others .. Hence,, We knew EXACTLY what to expect with the revisited and if i hadn't been happy with how the 'camermen and editors' worked, then no way would we have done the revisited..

Cal x

Do you know - I still haven't watched this lol

We both work normal hours here! Me 70 hours a fortnight, hubby, 40 hours a fortnight! We have a large mortgage, car loan and personal loan and we still manage to live ok. Ok, we don't have kids here but we regularly send money back to the uk to support daughter who is at uni! I think the op is unhappy here and has a slight bias to their life here and how bad it is lol!

Perhaps the OP didn't have the expectation of crossing the world just to get by. I would suggest there may have been a general dislike of more than just the take home pay though.

LOL, Your not missing much, only some broader than broad Northern accents !! lol.. Its scarey how small the kids are on there and how much they have grown up..

Cal x

I was chuckling to myself about when we came over east and went out for dinner, and I shouted your hubbys name to get his attention and I sounded so northern . I think Cal you've always been realistic and honest about how the show is portrayed and the creative use of editing.

• Like 1