How many of you...

How many have made the journey to Australia to start a new life without having a job

how long did it take you to secure a job after you arrived.

did you end up coming back home because you couldn't find work, if so what was your trade.

how long did you give it looking for a job before you came back home

Guest The Ropey HOFF

We won't go mate, unless we have jobs to go to, we are both very experienced skilled workers with a 175 PR visa and if they won't employ us from over here we will stay put, we have good jobs here and we are less than 10 years from retirement and will have full final salary pension rights, so ..... we aren't prepared to take a risk, even though unemployment is almost half in Australia.

How many have made the journey to Australia to start a new life without having a job

how long did it take you to secure a job after you arrived.

did you end up coming back home because you couldn't find work, if so what was your trade.

how long did you give it looking for a job before you came back home

No job when I got to Smellbum.

Got a job 2 days later at Dalgety's woolstore. My trade was woolclassing, well, ex British West Bradford.:wink:

Went back to the UK after 4 years for a 6 month holiday...Only stayed in the UK for 1 month as I was so disappointed in the way it had deteriorated in the intervening 4 years.

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
No job when I got to Smellbum.

Got a job 2 days later at Dalgety's woolstore. My trade was woolclassing, well, ex British West Bradford.:wink:

Went back to the UK after 4 years for a 6 month holiday...Only stayed in the UK for 1 month as I was so disappointed in the way it had deteriorated in the intervening 4 years.

Cheers, Bobj.

Thats because of all the damaged buildings from the bombings in the war, lol.

We came with OHs work but it took me 10 long months to find something, and that is only because another part of the same Group where he works offered me a job. It has been a hard time for us financially and emotionally. I work in marketing, there are a lot of junior roles which I was turned down for due to over experience and struggled to find roles that matched my level. Attented quite a few interviews and applied for 100s of jobs over the 10 month period. I think some people are just luckier than others, and if you have a set trade or profession it is likely easier to secure something.

We also took the leap of faith! Arrived on the Tuesday saw the job advert on the sat went for 3 yes 3 interviews and got the job. Construction role in Perth.

The wife on the other hand was totally different experienced retail manager applied for loads of jobs to over qualified for normal roles not enough local experience for management. In the end a friend got her an interview as a hr admin assistant, which she got and luckily loves the change.

If it was just here trade I think we could of come unstuck to be honest.

We did. Got here and spent the 1st week not even looking then OH went out cold calling just handing his CV in to places he had sourced while we were still in the UK and got an interview and started work the next day. He's in manufacturing (toolsetting) we are in Melbourne.

I haven't started looking yet we,ve only been here 5 weeks so I'm still on the finding a rental etc before I find something hopefully as quick as OH did.

We did.

I got offered a job within 4 days, didn't like it, took another 5 weeks to get something I did like. Was a PA role, 6 weeks later decided it was boring so sent off some CV's, phone call the next day, job offer the following week, started the week after that. Employed as an Assistant Company Secretary and they sponsored me to stay on a PR.

OH got a job within 3 weeks, that lasted for 9 weeks. Moved on to a 6 month contract role, sent off his CV to some contacts he'd made close to the end of the contract, got an interview, got offered the job and started 2 weeks later. Permanent job and they are also paying for him to go back to Uni to finally qualify as a lawyer.

Pretty happy with our experiences of job hunting!

We arrived October 2008, just as the GFC hit, OH got a job as a project manager (big step up from his role as a sheet metal mechanic in Canada), within a week of arrival. He was with the same company for two years until he got laid off. I on the other hand had five jobs in two years.

One of our reasons for moving back to Canada was OH couldn't find employment after he was laid off, he went to quite a few interviews including jobs in different states, however, no offers came through and we couldn't survive on my wage alone, so when my old company back in Canada offered me my old job for more money than I was making in Australia, I jumped at it, as we could live with family until we got back on our feet.

Cheers

Karen

We did it too... Both arrived with no jobs lined up and both managed to secure what we wanted within a few weeks of trying.. I agree with other posts that getting out there and door knocking is a great way to find work rather than relying on job ad's..

Cal x

Myself and the girlfriend left our long term jobs in ireland (10 years each) ,sold everything we owned(except our house) , got married, flew to Oz with no jobs lined up, got jobs , got a new rented house, new furniture, car within 8 weeks.....

We're both delighted we made the move, and even more so because we took a huge risk ..... But if you can't get employment in Oz then u really don't want to work!

Archived