The IT field Thread

PW1

So how is the IT job market now? Any updates?

Really depends where you are in Australia and what IT sector you're in.

For instance, where we are based in Geelong, shocking. But there is a bit of movement in Melbourne.

Nevertheless, if you're looking into it, wishing you all the best :)

I am no longer in Australia so cannot comment on the current job market there but I notice that quite a few people on this thread are not migrating from the UK so I thought it might be worth mentioning that the UK market is booming and demand for contractors is now at Dec 1998 levels, something I never thought I would see in my lifetime again as that was Y2K driven. Permanent employment is also at a high level - second highest since 1998.

http://www.contractoruk.com/news/0011757it_contractor_demand_surpasses_15_year_high.html

This is backed up by my personal experience. I started looking for a role at the beginning of September and ended up with two offers - they tried to outbid each other for me both in terms of rate and length of contract. I had to withdraw from 3 other interviews and have had almost daily contact from agency for the past couple of weeks wanting to know my availability.

I have noticed more adverts than ever saying sponsorship is available so some of these opportunities are available to overseas candidates.

I was interested on the comment about permanent work not being given to migrants as in my experience contract work is MORE desirable (that is proper daily rate contracts not a 'fixed term contract' as an employee). Only the very best are paid as contractors, those that aren't can hide in permie roles (not suggesting all permie's are less skilled, in I have switched between both markets in my career and spent 4 years in a permanent role in Australia).

Before I get inundated with PM's I do not have any specific opportunities available in the UK - the sources I use are jobserve.co.uk, LinkedIn, cwjobs.co.uk, jobsite.co.uk, cwjobs.co.uk

Happy to answer questions here but I don't have the time to answer individual PM's - too busy working :)

Guest Guest 47403

Perth is a pretty buoyant market at present we've just took on a junior DBA at $55 an hour and a help desk analyst at $36/hr, I think the going rate for a help desk analyst is about £10-12 an hr in the UK LOL!

I'm a bit of a jack of all trades network architect/admin, domain/server/infrastructure admin, project/change management and have had no problem at all getting work in Perth, I was on what I thought was a good wage in the UK but I've trebled it here.

Can't talk for the Eastern states.........but anyone moving to WA from the UK that's works in IT WA is growing so fast, theres plenty of work here!

We're planning to move over to Oz late-2015. I run my own contracting business currently in the UK, developing web software with Perl, also learning Node.js.

We're hoping to move in or around Perth, but I don't see many jobs for Perl in those parts - the odd 1 or 2 pop up every now and again, which doesn't give me much confidence. There seems to be more requirement around Sydney and Melbourne fo that skill.

Currently earning £385 per day (around $700 per day), so it looks like i'll definately have to take a pay cut when we move over.

Who knows, I might get lucky when the time comes. It's possible that we could decide to move to Sydney just because of jobs, but then the cost of living seems to be higher.

Arrgghhhhh!! :)

I was on okaish money in London, could have been on more (everyone says that don't they .....) but liked it where I was. Been offered a few as stated before in Melbourne, but travelling from Geelong to Richmond is not something I want to do (most are there) Nevertheless, possibly looking at a low end IT job here where I have been just informed the pay is $40,000, which is less than when I started in IT after leaving Uni over 10 years ago!

I think it just really depends where you are to be honest and an element of luck too.

Hopefully this will help someone

We are a leading Managed Service provider and a Oracle Platinum Partner, currently seeking an experienced Oracle DBA to work with one

of our key clients and also participate in the general managed services.

Key Technical Requirements:

5+ years Senior Oracle DBA experience

Professional Oracle DBA certification

Sound knowledge of Oracle 9i/10g/11g/12c

Solid understanding of Oracle RMAN backup and recovery

Solid understanding of Oracle MAA Technologies

Sound Oracle Performance Tuning methodologies

Configure,install and Patch Oracle Products

Experience supporting 24X7 mission-critical production applications and databases

This is an excellent employment opportunity for appropriately skilled technical individuals capable of

working in a high pressure environment. The role will suit someone looking to gain experience with the

latest Oracle Technologies in a 24/7 Managed Service environment.

A real "can do" attitude is required, along with demonstrated previous experience working autonomously.

I am looking for some IT related work. My past experience is working with US and Canadian Clients on different technologies like C#, Java, Android, Iphone, PHP, websites etc. Im looking forward for sub contract work or project based work. I expect between $22-$28/hr. I will appreciate if someone could help. Previous work and a discussion can be arranged.

Rates for BAs/change managers around the $600-$800 Mark in Brisbane. Technical skills (Java, anything with 'architect' in name at top of that range and more...Haven't noticed any silly rates but assume experienced SAP professionals still earning shed loads. Fewer jobs these days but a number of Govt roles around and set to grow with Govt reform (all procurement experts could name their price I'd guess). I thought Sydney/Melbourne more roles and better rates - is this not so?

I am looking for some IT related work. My past experience is working with US and Canadian Clients on different technologies like C#, Java, Android, Iphone, PHP, websites etc. Im looking forward for sub contract work or project based work. I expect between $22-$28/hr. I will appreciate if someone could help. Previous work and a discussion can be arranged.

How the hell are you supposed to make a decent living with such a low rate?

You would get those rates on a help desk.

• 3 weeks later...

Is it worth trying to find a job offer from overseas?

I have a BS from a college in the U.S., almost perfect IELTS (9.0, 8.5, 8.5, 8.5) and two years of official work experience, also in the U.S. More unofficially :)

In addition, multiple certification from Microsoft, Cisco, and VMware.

I was on okaish money in London, could have been on more (everyone says that don't they .....) but liked it where I was. Been offered a few as stated before in Melbourne, but travelling from Geelong to Richmond is not something I want to do (most are there) Nevertheless, possibly looking at a low end IT job here where I have been just informed the pay is $40,000, which is less than when I started in IT after leaving Uni over 10 years ago!

I think it just really depends where you are to be honest and an element of luck too.

hey u r right about that. I just finished up working in Richmond the trip from geelong was too much. Did it for ten months

I've been a contractor for the last 4 or 5 years - finally making progress on moving out to us.

One of the things I find difficult understanding, is what I can expect to earn working as a Senior BA (or close enough related role) - outside of major metropolitan areas, for permanent roles?

In short, I'm a BA with around 10 years experience in my field, particular niche being ecommerce solutions. I have experience working as part time scrum master... and all that jazzy fancy methodologies that really mean nothing without context. My average day rate has been around £425 a day - lowest being 300 and highest being 500. (not being unemployed more than 3 weeks the entire time, excluding holidays)

I realise that I will earn nowhere close to that amount - but that isn't really a concern for me (not really a particularly money driven person... just happened to fall into a decently paid career). I realise this is subjective, but if I were wanting to live a relative higher-middle class life somewhere on the Sunshine coast, and not wanting to life the city life in Brisbane) what should I set my expectations to? (yes, I do understand it's very subjective and other factor such as a working partner / kids etc play a major role ... but some general salary expectation will be welcomed!)

Edited by supercow

I've been a contractor for the last 4 or 5 years - finally making progress on moving out to us.

One of the things I find difficult understanding, is what I can expect to earn working as a Senior BA (or close enough related role) - outside of major metropolitan areas, for permanent roles?

In short, I'm a BA with around 10 years experience in my field, particular niche being ecommerce solutions. I have experience working as part time scrum master... and all that jazzy fancy methodologies that really mean nothing without context. My average day rate has been around £425 a day - lowest being 300 and highest being 500. (not being unemployed more than 3 weeks the entire time, excluding holidays)

I realise that I will earn nowhere close to that amount - but that isn't really a concern for me (not really a particularly money driven person... just happened to fall into a decently paid career). I realise this is subjective, but if I were wanting to live a relative higher-middle class life somewhere on the Sunshine coast, and not wanting to life the city life in Brisbane) what should I set my expectations to? (yes, I do understand it's very subjective and other factor such as a working partner / kids etc play a major role ... but some general salary expectation will be welcomed!)

you'd be super lucky to get BA work outside a major city - especially as a contractor. BA rates in Brisbane $500-$700 per day.

you'd be super lucky to get BA work outside a major city - especially as a contractor. BA rates in Brisbane $500-$700 per day.

The contract salary rates are the same in Sydney. You'd be on a good contract rate at $700-750 in finance.

I use to earn £650 a day in central London as a .Net team lead in the financial sector. Once I arrived here, with the tight tax laws and low (comparative) contract rates, I chose to go permanent...

Edited by squarepusher

I'm looking to go perm - I'm moving out of the UK for the lifestyle change. Don't want to go there and just do the same grind, but in a hotter environment :)

I've been lucky enough not to work in London for all the time I've been contracting mind you.

I'd be happy with a hybrid role, given that BA roles tend to be niche, and in larger companies. I'd be happy to be a Technical project manager / scrum master with a side of analysis thrown in.

I'm looking to go perm - I'm moving out of the UK for the lifestyle change. Don't want to go there and just do the same grind, but in a hotter environment :)

I've been lucky enough not to work in London for all the time I've been contracting mind you.

I'd be happy with a hybrid role, given that BA roles tend to be niche, and in larger companies. I'd be happy to be a Technical project manager / scrum master with a side of analysis thrown in.

I am sorry to be negative and I will out myself as someone who moved back to the UK so I have a biased outlook but it will be the same grind but in a hotter environment. You will really have to make much more significant changes than moving countries to change that. And if you are prepared to make those changes you could make them in the UK.

I had exactly the delusions, I moved from contracting in the UK to being permanent in Perth and found that my commute was longer, the hours were longer, the holidays less (than even a permanent position in the UK) and of course I was earning a lot less in a country with a higher cost of living. Now I knew I would be earning less when we moved out and I told myself it was about lifestyle not money - that I was 'money rich, time poor' in the UK and was happy to reverse that but actually ended up poorer in both respects.

If you really want a lifestyle change, then change your occupation too - doing IT in Australia isn't a lifestyle change, it's just the same life in a different country.

OK, let me elaborate further. Also, perhaps "lifestyle" isn't the right word, lets call it "surroundings".

Please do not see this as a personal attack on your preference or experience (hey, we're all different after all) - it is not the intention... this is my personal opinion.

I hate the UK. (put this in it's own paragraph for emphasis :) )

For me, there is nothing more than I can get out of life here. It has some redeeming qualities ( I have some friends that I love dearly), and I love the forests where I get to ride my mountain bike.

Other than that I am an empty shell of a human, feeling like I live a half-life. I don't want to labour the point, but outside of riding my mountian bike there is not a single interest I have here. Not a single thing I want to see. Not a single tourist place to visit... nothing. I feel terrible for my young kids, because I would love to be excited about days out, but the fact is I hate it all .

See, I am South African born and an outdoors person, having surfed since I was a very young kid. The UK is a wet, dark, depressing hole and I find it hard to want to leave the house (again, apart from riding my bike), even though it feels like a prison to me.

I fill this hole in my life by buying crap I don't need. I even hate Christmas with a passion.

While it may sound superficial to you - for me, I would be insanely happy to be able to surf, do things outdoors in the sun with the kids and chill with friends over BBQs. I honestly do not need anything other than that in life. You might call me delusional, but this sums up my brother in law's life. He gets to wake up in the mornings, go for a surf at 5 in the morning, go to work and be home at 6 (He is a software developer outside of a metropolitan area for what it's worth).

I f I can do this until the day I die, I would die a deliriously happy man.

I realise that it might sound like I'm wearing rose-tinted glasses, but I assure you I walk into this with eyes wide open.

If you really want a lifestyle change, then change your occupation too - doing IT in Australia isn't a lifestyle change, it's just the same life in a different country.

If I can have a run of the mill desk job in Australia, doing the same thing I do now (I'm hardly someone who puts in a lot of hours. I'm excellent at what I do and don't see the need for working ridiculously long hours) then it's enough of a lifestyle change for me.

I wouldn't mind changing career either... it's just that I have worked in IT and don;t really know what else I can do. I'm intelligent enough top blag my way into something else, so it's always an option.

Edited by supercow

• 3 weeks later...

I hate the UK. (put this in it's own paragraph for emphasis :) )

I feel the opposite to you. I hate living in Australia. I don't feel at home here at all.

From reading your post I think you will like Australia. You would probably like the warmer parts of the United States as well.

I feel the opposite to you. I hate living in Australia. I don't feel at home here at all.

Indeed, different strokes for different folks .. life would be awful if we all had the same preference / interests :)

This time of the year I feel particularly glum, and I absolutely hate Christmas....which I'm pretty sure you must feel the same, but for inverse reasons.

Edited by supercow

• 4 weeks later...

We are looking to relocate to Melbourne in the middle of next year, but are concerned about the job situation there right now.

My background is in as an architect/team lesf in banking market risk technology. How is the market holding up in this sector in Melbourne? (would consider Sydney too if needs be)

• 3 weeks later...