Has anyone moved From WA to melbourne and did it help?

RoseBrown1972

I've been in Perth for just over 18 months and have never felt at home here, I'm here with my hubby and we're early 40s with no kids. Perth is a beautiful place but I'm bored here!

We're not into sports or the great outdoors so really here is not for us, everything we try just dissapoints us. I love my music and going to concerts but mosts bands don't come here and the local talent is pretty poor, my social life has become bbqs and the cinema and it's not enough.

I also find Perth a lonely place, on the face of it we have lots of friends but none of them are really in our lives, just group bbqs/activites and it's not for trying! What scares me is that most of the people we know are people I met on here or my hubbys work contacts, the only new people we have met are friends of these people. We've not made any new friends just because you meet and click and stay in touch, we've met new people, exhanged numbers and suggest things and we get fobbbed off!

There's lots more I could say about how I feel but not asking for what people dislike about Perth but more if you have been uphappy here and moved to Melbourne has it helped? I'm a bit scared that some of what is making me unhappy is australia rather than just perth and a move won't help.

My hubby loves Australia but now agrees that Perth doesn't have a lot to offer us, he has suggested a move to Melbourne as a compromise to going home. I'm open to this to at least be willing to try and then if we end up going home I know I have tried, but don't want to put myself through another big move if it won't help!

Thanks

Rose

Hi we did it the other way - bad mistake. We liked Melbourne but OH decided he would like to try Perth for a couple of years in the mines. Housing is so overpriced and some of it is awful for what you pay (I know this is the same everywhere but seemed a lot worse when we were looking in Perth). I think a couple of years and we would have been bored as well. I am not going to make anymore comments because the Perth brigage will be on the defence in a shot, but we ended up moving home, now going back to Melbourne next month. You should try it,even for a long weekend in the city just to give you an idea of the difference, its costs so much money to come home and then realise you should have just stayed where you were.

Yes Perth has better weather and beaches, but do you really want to be on the beach every weekend? There was so much to do around Melbourne as well, you could even go ski-ing in the mountains, Hanging Rock etc. Theres always something going on around Federation Square.

If you haven't been to Melbourne at least go for a visit with the intention of seeing it provides what you feel you need, look at suburbs etc., I don't know if making friends would/will be any easier for you but it's worth a try if you're unhappy.

Hi we did it the other way - bad mistake. We liked Melbourne but OH decided he would like to try Perth for a couple of years in the mines. Housing is so overpriced and some of it is awful for what you pay (I know this is the same everywhere but seemed a lot worse when we were looking in Perth). I think a couple of years and we would have been bored as well. I am not going to make anymore comments because the Perth brigage will be on the defence in a shot, but we ended up moving home, now going back to Melbourne next month. You should try it,even for a long weekend in the city just to give you an idea of the difference, its costs so much money to come home and then realise you should have just stayed where you were.

Yes Perth has better weather and beaches, but do you really want to be on the beach every weekend? There was so much to do around Melbourne as well, you could even go ski-ing in the mountains, Hanging Rock etc. Theres always something going on around Federation Square.

Planning a long weekend or longer at some point, we picked Melbourne as people who know me and who have been think I will like it more. That is the trouble with Perth, the people who love it just can't get why you don't! If I had more to keep me busy the friends thing would bother me less I think! Weather isn't everything, apart from our first month been the beach about 5 times!

I have lived in Sydney and Melbourne and love Melbourne. There is something for everyone here, we are not beach people in fact apart from walking on them in winter its years since I went to the beach in the warmer months. There are always good shows on, local theatre groups put on some really good shows. Ballet, Opera, Symphony etc all happens in Melbourne. Lots of nice restaurants, small bars in the city. Nice shops, lots of good markets to go to on the weekends. We belong to the local racing club and go to the races when we feel like it, always a meeting on at the weekend.

Victoria itself is a very nice State and being small its easy to get around. As has been said there is skiing in the winter, in fact the roads are closed today on the mountains because of snow. I am not a fan of snow so just go in the spring and summer and love the alpine flowers.

So just come over and have a look.

If you like rain, you'll love Melbourne. It hasn't stopped all day!

I've never been to Perth so I can't make any comparisons but Petals is spot on (as usual), it is a wonderful part of the world.

Geoff

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

There are always good shows on, local theatre groups put on some really good shows.

Check out the Regal, concert hall, His Majestys and Burswood to see what's on, loads of community theatre groups stretching from Mandurah to Wanneroo that put on all sorts of stuff

Ballet,

West Australian Ballet put on regular performances

Opera,

West Australian Opera put on four major operas a year

Symphony

Several symphony orchestras - the WA one, plus Fremantle, plus couple more. regular concerts.

etc all happens in Melbourne. Lots of nice restaurants,

Hundreds in Perth

small bars in the city.

Lots in Perth

Nice shops

lots in Perth,

lots of good markets to go to on the weekends

lots in Perth

. We belong to the local racing club and go to the races when we feel like it, always a meeting on at the weekend. - can go racing here too - dogs, horses or cars, take your pick.

What did you do in the UK that made you not so bored? Boredom is a frame of mind and if you are bored in one place, then you'll likely be bored in another.

Look at meetup.com

gumtree under community

your local council/library for volunteer or community classes

Polytechnic west for night school classes

BOCs/Ticketek for tickets

I also think coming from an owned house to rented accommodation throws people - not sure if you are in that situation - but if you owned your house in the UK then you were busy decorating and doing DIY - once you are renting then you have nothing to do and that leads to a feeling or boredom.

I think you should give it a go. We're doing exactly the same. We've been in Perth 15 months but sadly I've never settled here although it is a beautiful place. We have visited Melbourne twice in the last few years and loved it there but my OH had better work opportunities in Perth and because I was pregnant when we left the UK, it made sense to start out here. I had my little boy here and it's been a great start for us but I always knew that's what Perth would be. We are both able to work now and so looking at jobs in Melbourne. It is definately worth a shot if the alternative is returning to the UK - you'll at least be able to say for sure if it's just Australia in general you're not happy with. Look at it as another part of your Australian adventure - you can still return to the UK in the future if you don't settle there either.

. That is the trouble with Perth, the people who love it just can't get why you don't!

I don't know that I agree with you here, I enjoy living in Perth, but can see that it doesn't tick everyone's boxes and that other parts of Aus might be more appealing to them. We're not beach goers and only really went when we lived in a rental as we didn't have much else to do, living in our own property has made a difference.

Hi Rose from what you have said I think you will love Melbourne. Melbourne has a great live band scene and is a very buzzy place with lots going on all the time. Lots of fantastic clubs, pubs, restaurants and quirky little bars. I think that Perth is like a big country town compared to Melbourne. As for shops Melbourne is like shoppers paradise with loads of little designer shops and up and coming designer shops down laneways. Again I think that Perth is like a country town for shopping. The markets in Melbourne are also fantastic and there are so many of them. I also really don't get why people think Perth beaches are better than Melbourne's (or Victoria's) can't say I agree there - Victoria has some of the most amazing beaches I have seen anywhere in the world. The only thing I would say that is better in Perth is the weather with more consistent temperatures although I do think it rains a lot more in Perth in winter compared to Melbourne. Perth of course doesn't have much rain the rest of the year. Anyway give it a go - you have nothing to lose and I am sure you will love it - good luck and have fun!

There are always good shows on, local theatre groups put on some really good shows.

Check out the Regal, concert hall, His Majestys and Burswood to see what's on, loads of community theatre groups stretching from Mandurah to Wanneroo that put on all sorts of stuff

Ballet,

West Australian Ballet put on regular performances

Opera,

West Australian Opera put on four major operas a year

Symphony

Several symphony orchestras - the WA one, plus Fremantle, plus couple more. regular concerts.

etc all happens in Melbourne. Lots of nice restaurants,

Hundreds in Perth

small bars in the city.

Lots in Perth

Nice shops

lots in Perth,

lots of good markets to go to on the weekends

lots in Perth

. We belong to the local racing club and go to the races when we feel like it, always a meeting on at the weekend. - can go racing here too - dogs, horses or cars, take your pick.

What did you do in the UK that made you not so bored? Boredom is a frame of mind and if you are bored in one place, then you'll likely be bored in another.

Look at meetup.com

gumtree under community

your local council/library for volunteer or community classes

Polytechnic west for night school classes

BOCs/Ticketek for tickets

I also think coming from an owned house to rented accommodation throws people - not sure if you are in that situation - but if you owned your house in the UK then you were busy decorating and doing DIY - once you are renting then you have nothing to do and that leads to a feeling or boredom.

I'll be honest more of a rock chick than ballet and orchestra, but get the point I'm aware of all these things and have tried the things I'm interested in but in my opinion there a pretty poor standard compared to what I'm used to. In 18 months I've seen about 5 bigs acts I would have managed that in 6 months in the UK, all I see is ***** australian tour whichs means Brisbane, Sydeney an Melbourne! I haven't spent the last 18 months sat at home I've been going out and looking it all just disappoints me. Shops! Everytime I need things I go out and look, then go home and shop off uk websites! Better quality, more choice and cheaper! I eat out most weekends, when we like a place and go back it's usually never as good the second time!

I was never bored in the uk and not just because I was always decorating! Some of it was down to family and friends being in our lives so much, the rest was more available. I used to love the gym in the UK, I could more or less go at anytime up until 10pm and have the choice of 2 or 3 different classes and plenty of variety, the gym and the pool. Now I have a choice of 3 types of classes of which there is about 15 over the whole week and a tiny gym so something i once loved is boring.

Anyway what I should have said in my post is not looking to be convinced what there is in Perth and how good it is, i get it is for some but not for me. Just wanted to know if anyone had made the move to melbourne and it had helped

I think you should give it a go. We're doing exactly the same. We've been in Perth 15 months but sadly I've never settled here although it is a beautiful place. We have visited Melbourne twice in the last few years and loved it there but my OH had better work opportunities in Perth and because I was pregnant when we left the UK, it made sense to start out here. I had my little boy here and it's been a great start for us but I always knew that's what Perth would be. We are both able to work now and so looking at jobs in Melbourne. It is definately worth a shot if the alternative is returning to the UK - you'll at least be able to say for sure if it's just Australia in general you're not happy with. Look at it as another part of your Australian adventure - you can still return to the UK in the future if you don't settle there either.

Totally agree Zephyr, I notice you're in Joondalup so not far from us in Sinagra, We came to Perth as it had better work opportunities for my hubby. Part of me is scared that I will put my self through another upheaval for nothing but I also know I need to meet my hubby in the middle. He wants to get citzenship and I know I can't hack that staying in perth, It's not going to happen this year but it's something we can aim for maybe next year

Hi Rose from what you have said I think you will love Melbourne. Melbourne has a great live band scene and is a very buzzy place with lots going on all the time. Lots of fantastic clubs, pubs, restaurants and quirky little bars. I think that Perth is like a big country town compared to Melbourne. As for shops Melbourne is like shoppers paradise with loads of little designer shops and up and coming designer shops down laneways. Again I think that Perth is like a country town for shopping. The markets in Melbourne are also fantastic and there are so many of them. I also really don't get why people think Perth beaches are better than Melbourne's (or Victoria's) can't say I agree there - Victoria has some of the most amazing beaches I have seen anywhere in the world. The only thing I would say that is better in Perth is the weather with more consistent temperatures although I do think it rains a lot more in Perth in winter compared to Melbourne. Perth of course doesn't have much rain the rest of the year. Anyway give it a go - you have nothing to lose and I am sure you will love it - good luck and have fun!

Hi dxboz, thats how its been described to me and it does sound right up my street, yes have to agree that Perth is still very much a country town and I feel that people here for some reason accept a lower standard in everything. I think the better weather isn't all its cracked up to be, I'm English I can cope with unpredictable weather and rain!

I don't know that I agree with you here, I enjoy living in Perth, but can see that it doesn't tick everyone's boxes and that other parts of Aus might be more appealing to them. We're not beach goers and only really went when we lived in a rental as we didn't have much else to do, living in our own property has made a difference.

You're in the minority! Not one person in my group of friends has attempted to take me seriously as to why I'm unhappy, I know they're thinking silly Rose and they don't attempt to help me feel settled. I had one person who herself was unsettled for a while and was just at the end of it as we met, she told me how she felt and most of what she said I'd already seen or have since. Now she loves it you'd think she'd never hated it and she scoffs at me for feeling the exact same thing! Although that might be because I have a choice she won't go back to South Africa. I know that I probably need to egt new friends!

Moving from a relatively small city to a very big one? In English terms, like moving from Manchester to London? Eighteen months in Perth? I don't know, maybe give it a bit longer? It MIGHT work out moving to Melbourne but on the other hand, you might be just as unhappy there, or worse. If you are unhappy with your life, it may not be the place so much as your personal situation?

Moving from a relatively small city to a very big one? In English terms, like moving from Manchester to London? Eighteen months in Perth? I don't know, maybe give it a bit longer? It MIGHT work out moving to Melbourne but on the other hand, you might be just as unhappy there, or worse. If you are unhappy with your life, it may not be the place so much as your personal situation?

Being familar with both cities I wouldn't credit Perth with even being close to Manchester! Time doesn't come into sometimes you just know, but we're still talking 12 months away before we could move so 2 and half years is plenty! I'm not unhappy with my life, I have a great relationship with my hubby, I have no real worries and know I don't have it bad but I don't like Perth and if I'm honest a lot about how it is in Australia, if I liked more about where I lived then the rest wouldn't bother me so much

Being familar with both cities I wouldn't credit Perth with even being close to Manchester! Time doesn't come into sometimes you just know, but we're still talking 12 months away before we could move so 2 and half years is plenty! I'm not unhappy with my life, I have a great relationship with my hubby, I have no real worries and know I don't have it bad but I don't like Perth and if I'm honest a lot about how it is in Australia, if I liked more about where I lived then the rest wouldn't bother me so much

You don't say whether Manchester is worse or better than Perth!

I was just looking in my diary for 1979 and I went up to Brisbane this week with my brother and my best mate Nick who was over from the UK and we all hated Brisbane! Found it boring after Sydney. Mind you, we were all in our 20's then. I'm sure I'd have no problems going there now. By contrast, I loved Perth from the minute I arrived but I couldn't get a job so I moved east.

Just realized I've answered my own question - I would hate to leave Sydney but if it came down to a choice between Perth or Manchester, or anywhere else in the UK, I'd choose Perth because I want to stay in OZ. I'm sure I'd create a new life over there - find the pub where the Spurs fans go for a start, then find another pub and a cafe or two, and start going in every day, saying hello to the staff, getting to know them. It's not hard. Last night two of the barmaids in one of the pubs I go to here were pleased to see me and they were so worried they'd not seen me for a week they went up past my flat to try and see if I was OK. I'm touched by gestures like that - makes me feel like I belong.

Off to Leichhardt now then the airport to see my friend Alex off to Serbia for three months holiday. I'll miss her too.

We almost emigrated to Perth having visited there, but went to Melbourne instead for the engineering work. I loved Perth and loved the sun and beaches and the outdoors. But I think Melbourne is more cultural and probably has more to offer regarding music and stuff, Sydney maybe has more too. It's hard to make friends, we met most through the childrens' friends, couldn't really socialise with the guys at work, I tried, but was let down each time, so gave up when I got other friends.

You don't say whether Manchester is worse or better than Perth!

I was just looking in my diary for 1979 and I went up to Brisbane this week with my brother and my best mate Nick who was over from the UK and we all hated Brisbane! Found it boring after Sydney. Mind you, we were all in our 20's then. I'm sure I'd have no problems going there now. By contrast, I loved Perth from the minute I arrived but I couldn't get a job so I moved east.

Just realized I've answered my own question - I would hate to leave Sydney but if it came down to a choice between Perth or Manchester, or anywhere else in the UK, I'd choose Perth because I want to stay in OZ. I'm sure I'd create a new life over there - find the pub where the Spurs fans go for a start, then find another pub and a cafe or two, and start going in every day, saying hello to the staff, getting to know them. It's not hard. Last night two of the barmaids in one of the pubs I go to here were pleased to see me and they were so worried they'd not seen me for a week they went up past my flat to try and see if I was OK. I'm touched by gestures like that - makes me feel like I belong.

Off to Leichhardt now then the airport to see my friend Alex off to Serbia for three months holiday. I'll miss her too.

I'd have to be honest and say I wouldn't live in Manchester but I prefer what the city has to offer compared to Perth, I used to live in the wirral. Liverpool and chester 30 mins away, manchester an hour away and wales 40ish minutes, the best of everything. I'm capable of chatting to anyone but not interested in just going to pubs and cafes. I'd we're near enough 30 years apart in age so different experiences of uk and different needs in Oz now. Have to say though liking the name I'm actually a Rosemary and Rose is a family name in many forms over the years

We almost emigrated to Perth having visited there, but went to Melbourne instead for the engineering work. I loved Perth and loved the sun and beaches and the outdoors. But I think Melbourne is more cultural and probably has more to offer regarding music and stuff, Sydney maybe has more too. It's hard to make friends, we met most through the childrens' friends, couldn't really socialise with the guys at work, I tried, but was let down each time, so gave up when I got other friends.

We picked Perth because there was more work for my hubby, i've found the friends who have kids have found it easier than us with no kids and yes plenty of let downs!

I can understand. We lived in Sydney and loved it. Then work brought us to Perth and have been very happy. But, it does have significant short comings. It suits us for the moment, but can't see us being here forever. Though I can't for a range of reasons, see us being in Oz for ever.

My new employer has opened up the possibility of us living in Melbourne and me doing FIFO from there and that has got us thinking

I can understand. We lived in Sydney and loved it. Then work brought us to Perth and have been very happy. But, it does have significant short comings. It suits us for the moment, but can't see us being here forever. Though I can't for a range of reasons, see us being in Oz for ever.

My new employer has opened up the possibility of us living in Melbourne and me doing FIFO from there and that has got us thinking

I can't see Oz being for ever either, I'm seeing Melbourne as a way to get out of Perth for now and as a comperise for my hubby but it has to be something special to make me want to stay, I'm just scared of being away from uk to long as well

I can't see Oz being for ever either, I'm seeing Melbourne as a way to get out of Perth for now and as a comperise for my hubby but it has to be something special to make me want to stay, I'm just scared of being away from uk to long as well

That strategy could back fire if moving to Melbourne makes your hubby like Australia even more than he does now!

You're in the minority! Not one person in my group of friends has attempted to take me seriously as to why I'm unhappy, I know they're thinking silly Rose and they don't attempt to help me feel settled. I had one person who herself was unsettled for a while and was just at the end of it as we met, she told me how she felt and most of what she said I'd already seen or have since. Now she loves it you'd think she'd never hated it and she scoffs at me for feeling the exact same thing! Although that might be because I have a choice she won't go back to South Africa. I know that I probably need to egt new friends!

I'm surprised i'm in the minority as all my friends tend to think the same way - maybe it's because I've had friends unsettled, some returning, some wanting to and others returning to UK (but not wanting to) because of partners, whilst some have eventually wanted to stay. I think that if a person is unhappy and that there is something within their control that could change how they feel then they should do it ... no point in going over the same ground if they don't try the options that are available to them that would make a difference to how they feel. Life really is too short, if something isn't working then I reckon we shouldn't flog a dead horse ... because we aint going to bring it back to life.

Actually, your friend comment might not be far off the mark ... not to get new friends but some additional ones who can support whatever decision you make ... and still be friends with you after lol.

Good luck

Archived