176 Lodged June 2012

Guest Kimberlyusa

Hi Carolyn,

Your post makes me feel good. Although I am also from the June 2012 gang but still waiting for my grant.

Just loved the idea of starting things there by "camping". Probably this is what I'll be doing as well.

Anyways, good luck for your new life. :)

Hi all!

Thought I'd update you as to where we are. We got our visas at the end of July and hubbie flew out on 30th December. The kids and I flew out on 21st Jan (nightmare flight - never again will I travel with 2 toddlers on my own!). Hubbie sorted out a rental before we arrived but we had to stay in a furnished apartment for a week before it was ready. If you want to make money in Perth, furnished apartments for short term rentals for immigrants are the way to go! I would advise anyone going in the next 6 months to find one online and book it for at least 6 weeks to allow you to sort out a rental.

We had hoped to be able to sort a rental out before coming but in Australia the agents are not allowed to rent a property out to anyone who has not viewed it. We also had to offer $20 extra per week and to pay 3 months in advance in order to secure the rental. Apparently at every rental in the $450 - $600 per week range, there were between 20 and 30 people viewing, so it is a tough market.

We've been in our rental a couple of weeks and I like it. We have no furniture yet - it's been at the port for the last 3 weeks. We therefore are on camp beds and airbeds, have 2 chairs and a plastic table and chairs for the kids to eat off. We got rid of our computer desk before we arrived as it was broken so we bought a new one and are using that to eat off. Fortunately, in our luggage on the plane we put plates, knives, forks, spoons and cups. We have had to buy more saucepans but we have refused to buy things we already have. Thus we are having a marvellous time camping! We don't have air-con or a pool but it will do us until we can find our "forever home".

My husband got a job after his first interview which was good. He started a couple of days ago. I've met up with agencies in the last week but much of the time has been spent trying to settle the children into daycare. They have just realised that this is not a long holiday, we are staying, so we are having a few meltdowns of the toddler variety. It's fine until it happens in the middle of woollies!

I'd also suggest that if you want to get your kids into private schools that you get their names down on waiting lists now (if you know where you want to live and which schools you want them to go to). It is a real palava otherwise and the waiting lists seem to be as long as my arm. However one of the kids has got into kindy at the local state school so we can walk there each day which is nice.

I love it here. I am ever so happy! I am so glad that we did it and we came. It was very scary and I felt permanently sick in the three days before I got on the plane. However it didn't go "bounce, bounce, bounce" as it did on our last flight and we only had one medical emergency - so I felt we got off lightly!

Wishing everyone who is coming out soon best of luck! If anyone who is here would like to meet for a coffee or a beer at some point, give us a shout!

BW!

Carolyn

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Carolyn,

Your post makes me feel good. Although I am also from the June 2012 gang but still waiting for my grant.

Just loved the idea of starting things there by "camping". Probably this is what I'll be doing as well.

Anyways, good luck for your new life. :)

Hang on there, you are not alone:biggrin:

. Best of luck:wubclub:

msvayani, did you have your medicals back in the summer? We did ours in the mid-july and they were finalized in 1 week ( our kid`s the same day). Now I am thinking if we won`t have the grant by july maybe we`ll need to repeat the medicals? Another 1200 $ ugh:confused:

Our first police check expires at the end of june and we are planning to do another one just in case . Hate this feeling of hanging in a limbo :no:

This time next week we will be in Singapore in transit to Perth to start our 3 weeks holiday / validate our visas!!

For those still waiting for their visa grants, fingers crossed you get the good news soon.

Hope you have a fantastic holiday - I bet you can't wait now! It will be lovely to get away from the snow and rain for a while!

Keep us posted with updates, Clare x

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys

We leave 20th April for 2 days in Singapore then onto to Perth 23rd April to start our big adventure ! Terrified nervous excited - wishing the time away but at the same time hoping it goes slow. Our furniture is collected 11th April. We have a 12 week rental in a house in Hilarys - we have struck lucky with this rental which has convinced even more we are doing the right thing. The owner of the house we are renting is taking a 13 week trip around the world thrown in with the rental has been loads of excellent advice and their car. We have had a few wobbles where we have thought what the hell are we doing - we have given up 2 good jobs to move to the other side of the world with no guarantees - people we know in Perth think we are hysterical worrying about getting jobs ! I have been successful in an interview for an admin type job (even though I am a teacher) with the Police and have been placed in a jobs pool . We have applied for loads of jobs but have either not been successful or have not heard anything - we are putting this down to not being there. I have a feeling we will be registering with agencies when we get there. I wish everyone the best of luck with their journey Ali

Well we flew on Thursday 28th March to Perth via Singapore with BA/Qantas. Outbound flight was fully booked and tbh the food was atrocious. Our girls slept for about 7 hours which was a blessing but OH and myself barely slept.

Singapore Airport (Changi) is amazing. So quiet and clean.

The Airport transit hotel was a godsend. We dropped our hand luggage, changed into swim gear and headed to the pool for a quick dip..... just in time to witness the heavens open and the rain pour down. But this only lasted 10 minutes and then we had a quick dip and back to the room for a sleep... but the girls thought otherwise.

Result = 2 very tired adults and 2 very lively girls

The flight from Singapore to Perth was brilliant. The flight was less than 1/2 full so everyone stretched out and got some shut eye and the food was brilliant.

Arrived in Perth early at 4.30am so our friends were caught on the hop and arrived at 5.15am.

They live in Gosnells, which to be honest we find too crowded and new. We have driven around over the past few days and still think Willetton, Leeming, Bull Creek, Canning Vale may be our choice....

Onto prices...... Perth /WA is bloody expensive and being on holiday you do convert back which gives you heart failure every time you hand over the card/cash. BUT everyone we have met seems to be living well and our friends do reassure us that salaries are much higher than UK to allow you to live not merely exist.

Will post a longer post with photo's (if I figure out how to do this) on our trips to Caversham Wildlife Park, Kings Park, Cottesloe Beach etc.

For those coming - bring everything if you are moving permanently. Things are very expensive - ESPECIALLY cars!

Good to hear all the updates. :biggrin: Carolyn, hope life down-under is still treating you well? It's good to hear you're so happy despite the pre-flying wobbles! Saff, interesting post, thank you for keeping us updated. We found Singapore airport brilliant too, when we visited in transit to Perth in 2010. JohnAli, hope you have good flights and enjoy the start of your 'big adventure'. We loved Hilary's - not too far away from the CBD, yet far enough. Interesting that you've been successful in the admin jobs pool for the police, because I'm a teacher too (primary) and I'm wondering about a career change.... As for us, we're getting things ready for our reccie. We're going for two weeks in May, and this time are flying to Perth with Emirates via Dubai. We'll be staying with family as we did last time we visited, but are planning to hire a car so we're not too reliant on them this time round. Really excited to be getting the ball rolling again. :jiggy:

Edited by KathB35

Hi Just an update on us, we arrived in Australia on 10th April and are currently settling into Mother in Law's house and saying hi to the family etc.

Whilst we were on the way to Australia, I received an email from a lady who had Skype interviewed me for a job 2 weeks previous, I called her and she offered me the position there and then!!

Hope you're all doing well :biggrin:

Well we flew on Thursday 28th March to Perth via Singapore with BA/Qantas. Outbound flight was fully booked and tbh the food was atrocious. Our girls slept for about 7 hours which was a blessing but OH and myself barely slept.

Singapore Airport (Changi) is amazing. So quiet and clean.

The Airport transit hotel was a godsend. We dropped our hand luggage, changed into swim gear and headed to the pool for a quick dip..... just in time to witness the heavens open and the rain pour down. But this only lasted 10 minutes and then we had a quick dip and back to the room for a sleep... but the girls thought otherwise.

Result = 2 very tired adults and 2 very lively girls

The flight from Singapore to Perth was brilliant. The flight was less than 1/2 full so everyone stretched out and got some shut eye and the food was brilliant.

Arrived in Perth early at 4.30am so our friends were caught on the hop and arrived at 5.15am.

They live in Gosnells, which to be honest we find too crowded and new. We have driven around over the past few days and still think Willetton, Leeming, Bull Creek, Canning Vale may be our choice....

Onto prices...... Perth /WA is bloody expensive and being on holiday you do convert back which gives you heart failure every time you hand over the card/cash. BUT everyone we have met seems to be living well and our friends do reassure us that salaries are much higher than UK to allow you to live not merely exist.

Will post a longer post with photo's (if I figure out how to do this) on our trips to Caversham Wildlife Park, Kings Park, Cottesloe Beach etc.

For those coming - bring everything if you are moving permanently. Things are very expensive - ESPECIALLY cars!

Good luck my dear.. I will arrive on 3rd of May so this info gives me an overview of what to do :)

Hi Just an update on us, we arrived in Australia on 10th April and are currently settling into Mother in Law's house and saying hi to the family etc.

Whilst we were on the way to Australia, I received an email from a lady who had Skype interviewed me for a job 2 weeks previous, I called her and she offered me the position there and then!!

Hope you're all doing well :biggrin:

Wow,,touch wood ....I am very happy for you good luck

• 2 weeks later...

Got back on Sunday and our 3 year old still on Oz time which is very wearying....

The sun was out which was a bonus but rain is apparently on its way.

Back at work on Monday and now a long list of things to do to try and see the quickest way we can move to Perth.

OH had a job interview on the Thursday before we left which was positive but he explained we are not in a position to move immediately and the company said to email/phone them when he has a move date which is great.

We definitely blew our holiday budget...... we bought a cooler box and ice gel packs and when out and about each day took drinks and a fruit / snack lunch to try and keep costs down but its hard to say no to the kids when they want icecreams ($2.80-4.50 each) as it was so hot.

Fruit and veg prices were shocking even though I had done some research. Grapes in Coles $14.98 /kg (Spudshed $4.99 but were soft and mushy the following day), cucumbers $2.98 each.

We will definitely have to gleam more local knowledge from locals when we do move as our kids go through loads of fruit and veg every week.

Meat on the other hand we found very affordable and fantastic quality.

I will be posting a comparison grocery list once I've updated it this weekend.

In hindsight I really wish we could have moved permanently rather than go on a validation trip but OH had never been to Oz. Now that he has he is chomping at the bit to move ASAP!

The girls (aged 3 and 6) took to Oz immediately and were very sad to leave their new friends (neighbourhood kids came to our hosts house daily to collect our 2 to play in the park opposite the house and loaned them scooters, bikes etc! Such lovely friendly natures and so welcoming.

For all those still waiting for their visa's, I salute your patience - I am not sure how many are but I'm sure it is just a handful by now.

For those who have made the move I envy you and will be joining you Downunder as soon as we get our finances in order!

SaffanZimbo,

I`ve read your reccie update and I was drooling:wink:. On the whole everything sounds very positive and reassuring ( except the price of groceries :biggrin:). I loved the the fact that your kids had no trouble finding friends, that`s one of my biggest concerns. No news yet on our side, still waiting in the pile of security checks to be done but hoping we would get the visa before medicals expire . Good luck with your permanent move to Perth and keep us aspiring visa holders updated :wubclub:

• 2 weeks later...
Got back on Sunday and our 3 year old still on Oz time which is very wearying....

The sun was out which was a bonus but rain is apparently on its way.

Back at work on Monday and now a long list of things to do to try and see the quickest way we can move to Perth.

OH had a job interview on the Thursday before we left which was positive but he explained we are not in a position to move immediately and the company said to email/phone them when he has a move date which is great.

We definitely blew our holiday budget...... we bought a cooler box and ice gel packs and when out and about each day took drinks and a fruit / snack lunch to try and keep costs down but its hard to say no to the kids when they want icecreams ($2.80-4.50 each) as it was so hot.

Fruit and veg prices were shocking even though I had done some research. Grapes in Coles $14.98 /kg (Spudshed $4.99 but were soft and mushy the following day), cucumbers $2.98 each.

We will definitely have to gleam more local knowledge from locals when we do move as our kids go through loads of fruit and veg every week.

Meat on the other hand we found very affordable and fantastic quality.

I will be posting a comparison grocery list once I've updated it this weekend.

In hindsight I really wish we could have moved permanently rather than go on a validation trip but OH had never been to Oz. Now that he has he is chomping at the bit to move ASAP!

The girls (aged 3 and 6) took to Oz immediately and were very sad to leave their new friends (neighbourhood kids came to our hosts house daily to collect our 2 to play in the park opposite the house and loaned them scooters, bikes etc! Such lovely friendly natures and so welcoming.

For all those still waiting for their visa's, I salute your patience - I am not sure how many are but I'm sure it is just a handful by now.

For those who have made the move I envy you and will be joining you Downunder as soon as we get our finances in order!

Hi

it was really lovely to read your post, we are in very similar circs to yourselves. We go on our validation Trip on the 22nd may for a week in perth, Then onto dubai for a week as this was the cheaper option to reduce the costs of the trip. We have a 2 & 4 year olds so I'm a bit nervous about the flight due to the kids being young! How was ur 2 kids on the flight?? Please tell me it was not too bad lol. We don't have enough finances at present to do the move, but we have decided to put our house on the market as soon as we return.

Take care

Elaine

Hi

it was really lovely to read your post, we are in very similar circs to yourselves. We go on our validation Trip on the 22nd may for a week in perth, Then onto dubai for a week as this was the cheaper option to reduce the costs of the trip. We have a 2 & 4 year olds so I'm a bit nervous about the flight due to the kids being young! How was ur 2 kids on the flight?? Please tell me it was not too bad lol. We don't have enough finances at present to do the move, but we have decided to put our house on the market as soon as we return.

Take care

Elaine

We were very worried about the girls on the flight especially the LHR to Singapore leg and return. They really surprised us. Our 5 year old watched the movies and then slept for 7 hours on the outbound. Our 3 year old was over tired and doesn't really like TV so after a little whining session she fell asleep and slept for over 8 hours. They missed the meals so we kept these and they had them when they woke up. We had a stock of crayons and colouring books, DS's and their favourite stuffed animal but these weren't really used much at all.

We had ordered kids meals for all the flights and their food was brilliant - much better than the adult meals!

We are hoping to move in June/July next year, but will be renting our UK house for 2-3 years before deciding on which area of Perth we want to buy in.

Good luck for your trip. Perth /WA is awesome!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone

Just a quick update, we’ve booked our flights, we arrive in Perth on 17 Sept!!! So we’re on the count down now. We’ve booked a short term rental in Mindarie for 5 weeks and I’m hoping we’ll be able to secure a long term rental within that time – the short term rental wasn’t available any longer than this…and we’ve got to try to find a house that’ll let us bring our pooch (he’s a Shih Tzu so I’m hoping this won’t be too difficult).

It’s all very emotional at home at the moment with family, my mom is very upset that we’re taking her grandchildren away from her, so I’m feeling very guilty and sad to be leaving (she came with us to Perth and really loved it herself so she does understand why we want to move – it’s still hard though). On a plus she’s already booked her holiday from work to come and visit us in January!

We’ve got 2 removals companies coming on Thursday to give us quotes so I’m going through the whole house deciding what to keep / sell / charity shop etc. So it’s really busy at the moment!

Hope everyone else is keeping well and looking forward to the move / getting things organised.

Please keep your updates coming, it’s really nice to hear how everyone’s getting on.

Clare x

Hi everyone,

good to hear how the reccies/moves are coming on. We went for our reccie to Perth on 9th May for 2 weeks, getting back to the uk a week ago. We'd been to Perth 3 years ago, and as soon as we arrived, it reminded us of just why we went through this process! :biggrin:

Our flights were Gatwick - Dubai - Perth with Emirates and were fine. The flight times were great, although as we live a distance away from Gatwick we booked a hotel the night before which was only a few mins from the terminal. When we came back, we booked the same hotel and that was really helpful so we didn't have a long drive home with the inevitable jet-lag. The only criticisms I have of the flights were, of course, lack of space in Economy, and the food which was passable. Getting through immigration was non-eventful (in a way I would've liked a 'welcome to Australia'!!!) We checked our VEVO on the immi website while we were there and it said we were 'onshore'!! :yes:

We stayed with rellies for the two weeks but hired a car from Europcar for the fortnight, which we picked up from the airport, which was very straightforward and worked out about $30 a day.

Before we went out there, we'd decided we would have jobs sorted before we make the move permanently. While we were there we changed our minds, and decided we'll see what's there when we get there. I was a bit worried about going without any work sorted, but I've come back more confident that it'll be ok.

We spent a bit of time at the weekends looking at housing options (our rellies loved coming with us and comparing their house to what's on the market!). realestate.com.au lists which houses are open at the weekend, and you just turn up and have a wander around with little selling pressure from the estate agents.

We went to Woolworths to do the grocery shopping and found that it wasn't too much more than the uk. We also had a look at Woolies online too to compare. One evening we went to Hippo Creek in Hillarys for dinner. It serves amazing steaks and was great fun. 2 bottles of wine and great steak and a delicious pudding worked out about £50 each.

Being that the seasons are going into Winter, the weather was a lovely 20-25 deg during the day. The nights were cold, though, with it dropping to 9 deg, so we were grateful for the reverse-cycle air con in our rellies house.

So, we have to tie up a few things in the UK and are planning to move over sometime in the next twelve months, although the sooner the better for us!!

that is amazing,, wish you good luck

Hi everyone,

good to hear how the reccies/moves are coming on. We went for our reccie to Perth on 9th May for 2 weeks, getting back to the uk a week ago. We'd been to Perth 3 years ago, and as soon as we arrived, it reminded us of just why we went through this process! :biggrin:

Our flights were Gatwick - Dubai - Perth with Emirates and were fine. The flight times were great, although as we live a distance away from Gatwick we booked a hotel the night before which was only a few mins from the terminal. When we came back, we booked the same hotel and that was really helpful so we didn't have a long drive home with the inevitable jet-lag. The only criticisms I have of the flights were, of course, lack of space in Economy, and the food which was passable. Getting through immigration was non-eventful (in a way I would've liked a 'welcome to Australia'!!!) We checked our VEVO on the immi website while we were there and it said we were 'onshore'!! :yes:

We stayed with rellies for the two weeks but hired a car from Europcar for the fortnight, which we picked up from the airport, which was very straightforward and worked out about $30 a day.

Before we went out there, we'd decided we would have jobs sorted before we make the move permanently. While we were there we changed our minds, and decided we'll see what's there when we get there. I was a bit worried about going without any work sorted, but I've come back more confident that it'll be ok.

We spent a bit of time at the weekends looking at housing options (our rellies loved coming with us and comparing their house to what's on the market!). realestate.com.au lists which houses are open at the weekend, and you just turn up and have a wander around with little selling pressure from the estate agents.

We went to Woolworths to do the grocery shopping and found that it wasn't too much more than the uk. We also had a look at Woolies online too to compare. One evening we went to Hippo Creek in Hillarys for dinner. It serves amazing steaks and was great fun. 2 bottles of wine and great steak and a delicious pudding worked out about £50 each.

Being that the seasons are going into Winter, the weather was a lovely 20-25 deg during the day. The nights were cold, though, with it dropping to 9 deg, so we were grateful for the reverse-cycle air con in our rellies house.

So, we have to tie up a few things in the UK and are planning to move over sometime in the next twelve months, although the sooner the better for us!!

Update from us,

been in Aus since Jan 2nd on teacher exchange as a trial before a possible big move after gaining the full visa. After the intial buzz of being in Oz we have been mulling over whether to make the big move yet.... decided to go back to the Uk after the 1 year teacher exchange. It's not that we havent enjoyed it but we have real concerns over education for our youngest (just in kinder here) as we feel uk 1st 3 or so years are much much better and I have found working in an Oz school not as fulfilling as I hoped. I am enjoying being ofsted free but I miss the technology and more organised collaborative approach to teaching.

I also really miss the history and culture of the uk, much more than I ever thought I would.

So we will go back in december and reassess over the next 1-2 years or so. We have until 2017 to make a perm move so no real rush.

We are enjoying the weather though and of all the years to be out of the UK this would seem to be a good one!!!

Best of luck to everyone in their adventures.

Update from us,

been in Aus since Jan 2nd on teacher exchange as a trial before a possible big move after gaining the full visa. After the intial buzz of being in Oz we have been mulling over whether to make the big move yet.... decided to go back to the Uk after the 1 year teacher exchange. It's not that we havent enjoyed it but we have real concerns over education for our youngest (just in kinder here) as we feel uk 1st 3 or so years are much much better and I have found working in an Oz school not as fulfilling as I hoped. I am enjoying being ofsted free but I miss the technology and more organised collaborative approach to teaching.

I also really miss the history and culture of the uk, much more than I ever thought I would.

So we will go back in december and reassess over the next 1-2 years or so. We have until 2017 to make a perm move so no real rush.

We are enjoying the weather though and of all the years to be out of the UK this would seem to be a good one!!!

Best of luck to everyone in their adventures.

Sorry to hear that you're not finding it as you hoped. Interesting what you say about the education system - aren't they radically changing it over there at the moment? I saw a government advert about it on the tele while we were there. Hopefully you'll be able to enjoy the next few months before you come back to the uk.

I did notice on the resident return visa info that you have to spend a minimum of 2 years (730 days) onshore before 2017, or provide a compelling reason for your absence if less, in order to be eligible for a rrv visa and so to become permanent. Take a look at http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/residents/155/eligibility.htm

Good luck with the rest of your time in Aus :biggrin:

Edited by KathB35

We were very worried about the girls on the flight especially the LHR to Singapore leg and return. They really surprised us. Our 5 year old watched the movies and then slept for 7 hours on the outbound. Our 3 year old was over tired and doesn't really like TV so after a little whining session she fell asleep and slept for over 8 hours. They missed the meals so we kept these and they had them when they woke up. We had a stock of crayons and colouring books, DS's and their favourite stuffed animal but these weren't really used much at all.

We had ordered kids meals for all the flights and their food was brilliant - much better than the adult meals!

We are hoping to move in June/July next year, but will be renting our UK house for 2-3 years before deciding on which area of Perth we want to buy in.

Good luck for your trip. Perth /WA is awesome!

Hi,

This is my first post on this forum. Trust me! your positive words about Perth, WA are like drops of rain in desert for me. My wife was extremely worried about settling in the most remote city of the world and that feeling was creeping in me as well. I hope we both inherit your positivity into our thinking and plan the move as well. Your further comments about the place and people will be of immense interest to us.

We are also two-minded about going there for a small vacation (for visa validation) or shall I wrap-up everything over here in Middle East and go there. A piece of advice from you or other seniors will be highly appreciated.

Regards,

Noman