Please tell me its not the same in Oz

k8bug79

Not sure where you are heading for in Oz, but it was splashed across the news last week that Perth kids spend very little time outdoors. Probably goes someway to explaining why Oz has a huge problem with obesity.

In my experience, if you aren't the outdoor type in the UK you won't be here.

I think the point I am getting at is it seems unevenly balanced. I agree I would love to get away from requirements on child tax credits but surely if you double your wage you should be better off not worse? I also agree that taking the job would be better for my career and that is why I have applied but I was saying that we would be £10 worse off before moving to a more expensive area. I know you don't know me so don't necessarily know how far off the mark you are. But we live in rural Cornwall, arguably one of the nicest low crime area with great neighbours, an excellent school and a nice 5 bedroom house. We are by no means reliant on benefits but yes if I didn't get help with child care then I couldn't afford to work. I have to commute 40 miles a day to my job (partly my choice but also couldn't afford to live much closer) but that is the only place for me to work here. This job is near Birmingham the houses would be 1.5 times more expensive and smaller and I am sure I don't need to start mentioning crime rates etc. The initial post was more a mini rant at how the UK seems to have a gap where suddenly you can be working hard and earning a very good wage and be worse off than someone earning much less.

Maybe my benefits at the moment are too high. That would be a hard thing to admit to as we only just get by each month. My childcare is nearly £300 a week and I get £200 a week towards it. That is it, I'll leave it to you to assess whether you think that is too high.

In regards to Australia I think I have my eyes open, although I am always aware that the internet and forums can tell me only so much. I am applying for a spouse visa so many of the issues re school fees and benefits. I have looked at what each situation over there is likely to mean for our actual monthly income but haven't looked at taking such a big leap as this would entail.

I definitely agree that the financial aspects in life aren't the most important ones. We are desperately trying to whittle down the small amount of debt we have, save to buy our own house so that would hopefully free up some money. But other than that the only thing I have identified in our lifestyle that is luxury is Sky, so it's gone. I like you hope Australia gives us more opportunity to adopt an outdoors lifestyle. It amazes me that this weekend it has been glorious here yet my children still sit indoors. Hoping a population with a more outdoorsy attitude will rub off on them!!!

Thanks for responding though as you make some interesting points

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think the op has a valid point, i feel the frustration here in the uk.. it does get to us as a working family that we earn what the family next door earns sitting on there butts doing nothing all day. we have kids and both work hard so we can hold our heads up and not rely on the benefits system, however when your neighbour and many others around you have new cars and holidays each year but dont work it gets very frustrating. We are moving to australia early next year and cant wait, we will both work, earn our way, and be proud, we are not well off here at all, and dont expect to be any better off in australia, however i keep reading that kids no longer play out, well speaking with my families in aus on a weekly basis, i never get to speak with my nieces and nephews as they are always out playing with friends, My kids love being out doors, they still take pleasure in swing parks, walks, lakes and beaches. I know from speaking with family that if you work hard in aus, you can enjoy a great life. The uk has a very lazy attitude now IMO and it is easier to sit at home on benefits than deal with the stress of working and childcare. We have not looked into the benefits system in australia but have looked hard on what our outgoings will be so we can earn to cover. We know alot of the same problems exist in australia, but in our opinion things here are getting alot worse, and we cannot see a future for our children here.

Very simplistic, the problem is now the UK cannot afford to look after its people, its people have to take cuts and start looking after themselves a bit more. The pot is diminishing and lets face it the well off are not going to go without, its going to be ordinary jo blow.

You would not get this in England. New arrivals in Perth are facing a nightmare situation.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/business/wa-families-forced-to-live-in-tents/story-e6frg2ru-1226353723353

I thought to try and get a definitive answer (as best I can whilst sat in the UK) I would do a centrelink comparison. I put 3 situations in. using the parity of 2.2 for wages etc.

The results were quite interesting

So if I put my current situation in , my husband earns an average wage I earn a good but slightly less than average wage and work 4 days a week. it would be pretty much like for like with Oz.

If the worse was to happen and we were to end up with no income we would be worse off than the uk by about £150 a week.

If I took this job I am talking about and my husband stayed on the same slightly above average wage and I went to what would be deemed a good wage. We would still get childcare help and therefore be better off in Australia.

That shows me that what has been said above is all true. Oz doesn't look after its hard luck cases as well as the UK however it does recognise hard work better than the UK.

Apologies I meant £168 billion, so one would think not, they could though, but it will take the ANZ a few years.

Thought you may have got your m's and b's crossed. :biggrin: Strange btw that the bank had to pay the money to the govt and then the govt owned it...doesn't nationalisation usually occur when the bank fails and the govt steps in with wads of tax payer money to save it. Which bank are you talking about?

Britain is the best place on earth to live. No other country looks after its people like England does. If you compare economies, could an Australian bank ever pay a £168 million debt back to the government in 3 years. That bank is now owned by the people of the U.K with its profits benefitting all. England is fantastic, I don't know why I left. I need to back as soon as possible.

You can't be serious. Australian banks are the best performing and profitable in the world. They are also the most financially responsible in the world - that's why Oz was hardly affected by the global financial crises. 168 million is small change. The ANZ just announced a half year profit of $3 billion. It is the hard-working Brit taxpayers who are supporting the rest. Britain is the best place to live if you want to milk the welfare system but Oz is the best place if you want to work hard and achieve something - that's why so many are leaving Britain and coming here.

You get nothing in oz, work or starve.

I sometimes wonder if you were EVER really in Oz.

Those who are not working, for whatever reason, receive financial assistance.

For working parents there is Family Tax Benefit A

Family Tax Benefit B

Child Care Benefit

Child Care Rebate

Baby Bonus or Paid Parental Leave

Depending on your circumstances there can be tax rebates for dependent spouse, other dependents, health insurance, medical expenses and regional locations: there are also tax deductions for various expenses.

There is financial pressures wherever you live. I think the Australian system does benefit family on low incomes as you do get good tax credits. Also most people do their own tax returns in Oz which is surprisingly straightforward and can net you about $1000 back each year. Try getting anything back from UK IR.

I think a good standard of living is still possible in Australia on average earnings. You have Super (Pension) benefits paid by your employer so you feel your future is being looked after. Work hard, enjoy life and everything else seems easy.

UK countryside and quant pubs aside, UK is now the poor man of Europe. It pretty much has the worst standard of living in the developed world, how can anyone say it is a great place to live anymore. Education is the exception, but even that comes at a price now.

If you are poor in Australia, you still feel rich. If you are poor in UK, you really are poor, and the middle class are getting hammered.

There is financial pressures wherever you live. I think the Australian system does benefit family on low incomes as you do get good tax credits. Also most people do their own tax returns in Oz which is surprisingly straightforward and can net you about $1000 back each year. Try getting anything back from UK IR.

I think a good standard of living is still possible in Australia on average earnings. You have Super (Pension) benefits paid by your employer so you feel your future is being looked after. Work hard, enjoy life and everything else seems easy.

UK countryside and quant pubs aside, UK is now the poor man of Europe. It pretty much has the worst standard of living in the developed world, how can anyone say it is a great place to live anymore. Education is the exception, but even that comes at a price now.

If you are poor in Australia, you still feel rich. If you are poor in UK, you really are poor, and the middle class are getting hammered.

Bull$hit alert!

Guest guest36187

At the end of the day, yeah money helps but isn't quality of life about a damn sight more than that?

I reading here about kids not being outside all the time. We moved from Dublin (Ireland) last year. Our eldest (7) played a lot of sport. We are living in Rockhampton (QLD). He now plays soccer on Mondays, Aussie Football training on Tuesday, Tennis on Thursday, Aussie Football match on Friday and Soccer again on Saturday. He could also if time allowed play, Swimming, Martial Arts, Rugby (Union & League), Cricket, bowls, golf, water skiing, fishing,hockey, netball, basketball, and the list goes .My point is kids need to be directed to play sports (not forced). There are a ton of things to do, but you have to go and find them and the information is available. If we were still living in London, and I complained about little for the kids to do, I am sure that our English posters would be on to me in a flash about things to do. Australia is like anywhere, some people are interested in sport, and some are not. Some kids are overweight and some are not. But it is very easy to do nothing with the kids and complain that there is nothing to do. There is plenty to do, you just have to find it. (I know that this was a little off topic, but the rant is off my chest)

Guest Danguild

This country makes a joke of us all it's cant possibly get any worse....... My sister has a 4 year old child never worked in them 4 years then me and my husband both work have 4 kids and pay over 20 grand in tax in one year and guess what she got a tax rebate of £500 for being on the dole we get nothing????? Shocking I know!!!!!

Guest Danguild
This country makes a joke of us all it's cant possibly get any worse....... My sister has a 4 year old child never worked in them 4 years then me and my husband both work have 4 kids and pay over 20 grand in tax in one year and guess what she got a tax rebate of £500 for being on the dole we get nothing????? Shocking I know!!!!!

Oh and I'm dans wife lol

Guest Guest49502

I too have experienced this madness!! Looking forward to reading the replies. Thanks for the post!

sorry but what do you expect? you get the same issues here. its what happens when you have a welfare system. rather that than your sister and her child living in a poor house, eh?

What makes people think its any different in Aus? Its in the real world after all

You still have means testing for benefits.

You get people on disability pensions as young as in their 20s, because of eg mental health issues and chronic pain

You still get longterm unemployed drug addicts and alcoholics who have never worked a day in their lives, have no means of income except through benefits, and YES, they have children

The problem in the UK is that jobs are becoming more and more scarce, Although the number of jobs in the country IS increasing it is at a lesser rate than the number of people in the UK is increasing. This means that School/college/Uni leavers are unable to find work to get the experience that is required in other jobs.

To accompany this there are cut backs due to current and recent economic conditions, which contributes to the cost of living going up at a higher rate than inflation.

If you take my situation for example; With a household income of £40,000 ish before tax (depending on overtime), we are just over the threshold of being eligible for any assistance from benefits. This would be fine if it wasn't for the increase in the cost of living. Where we were able to find spare cash to go to the pictures or go for a meal once or twice a month as little as a year ago, we now find that we need to borrow a little from time to time to meet bills.

This situation isn't looking to get any better, in fact it is definitely getting worse with people on lower household incomes or with household incomes made up differently receiving less than they had previously been used to. It is being reflected on the high street with pubs closing on a regular basis, and charity or low cost shops popping up where the previous tenants have gone out of business, due to people not having anywhere near as much disposable income.

Anyone that says that things are all rosey in the UK, doesn't really have a firm grip on things here. Last week we had different marches and strikes from civil servants, police officers, teachers and many many others due to changes in pay and pensions that will have life changing effects.

I will be the first to admit that I do not know the ins and outs of the financial situation in Australia, but everything I have read while researching 'the big move' suggests that Australia is experiencing somewhat of a boom, and teenage jobs are not in as short supply.

Well thats my tuppence worth.

Simon.

I had my sons 20 years ago- i cleaned chairs at a dog stadium, worked night shifts in a nursing home and managed with my husband earning very little as self employed with just child benefit. Thats all we were entitled to. Then I went to night school and paid to get exams to enroll as a nurse. I trained as a nurse with a £5000 bursary and worked 4 night shifts a week for those 3 years. I earn a good wage as band 8A nurse. I have worked hard to get there and worked even harder to get my sons through uni with no help as at that time even though we could just about pay the mortgage we still earned above the level to get help. My point is I never look to see what anyone else gets or doesnt get. I have made the most of the opportunities I could and I have worked hard to achieve the success I have right now. Every time I look at that Ahpra confirmation I know I deserve it. I have no idea whether I can now get a job in Oz and at 46 sponsorship is the option I have. I will work really hard to get there ( alone no one else is coming with me) and whatever happens I do believe that life sometimes takes you sideways and backwards to go forwards! :)

Archived