What to ship in container

spicton1979

Hi All,

My wife, 3 kids and I are flying out to sunny Brisbane on 1st September this year and are in the process of booking a shipping company.

My question is this: Due to the exchange rate, lots of things seem to be a lot cheaper in the UK, so is there anything that anyone can recommend that we should buy over here in advance and ship (we have some spare room in the 20ft container so won't cost us extra)? I.e. stationary, etc, etc ... is there anything in particular, electrical goods perhaps?

Also, one of the shipping companies mentioned that we shouldn't bother shipping our main bedroom wardrobe as 99% of housing in Australia have walk in wardrobes, is this true?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Guest amandabaino

Hi Steve,

You're right, the majority of houses in Aus have built-ins, so I wouldn't bother taking free standing wardrobes with you.

I would definitely consider buying a Dyson over here and shipping it over. They are ridiculously priced in Aus (around $900) and the majority of the parts have a lifetime guarantee. For things like this though, you must not use it prior to shipping, as otherwise it'll be stopped in quarantine and you may have to pay to get it fumigated etc.

Any electrical household items like that seem to have jumped in price in the past couple of years. Have a look on www.harveynorman.com.au to get an indication of what you'd be paying in Aus.

I'd also buy a bunch of good quality pots and pans and ship them over too.

Hope this has helped.

A

You can use a vacuum crikey most people ship them used just make sure it is empty and clean.

personally I wouldn't touch a Dyson with a bargepole anymore I have had three. They all broke out of warranty/bits fell off and a pain to clean out properly. The bloke at the tip says he gets more Dysons than any other brand. I LOVE my Sebo though!

Check if warranties are worldwide many will not transfer to Oz!

Our rental ( brand new house) did not have fitted wardrobes only a walk in in the Master - so if you can flat pack them it may be worth taking.

hi to you al,

firstly you won't or shouldn't need wardrobes as yes 99% of aussie houses have walk in robes....we have moved a few times for different reasons and have lived in ozz a good few years and have never found when moving around different areas that we have ever needed a wardrobe, they are a big item toi take as well so my advise would be to sell them.

do take all your electrical goods, tv fridge washing machine tumble dryer etc, and all quilts etc as it does get damn cold in the winter, and after a year you will feel it more, the houses are not kitted out for cold weather, they dont do double glazing so when the weasther drops even in queensland you will feel it, lived there along time so i know from experience, we lived in townsville for a few years and the temperature drops enough there to use a quilt, if you take your hoover or lawn mower just makew sure you scrub them well as these things can hold your stuff up. good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Definately quilts and bedding. If you have a dryer bring it over a you will need it due to the humidity. We left ours and had to go out and buy one!

TVs do work with a box but remember to bring stands as we didn't have one and can not fix it to the wall with the bracket yet due to being in rental accomodation so had to buy one when we got here! and ours is still packed up!

Don't get rid of all your warm clothes as you will need jumpers/cardigans occasionally in winter especially in the morning and evenings.

Just remember any electrical items will either need a new plug or an adaptor which can be a bit of a pain so you might want to buy new ones over here like ketttles, toasters etc.

We wish we had brought over the set of swings/pirate ship over as quite expensive over here but we couldn't be bothered to clean them but wish we had made the effort as they were good ones!!!

Good Luck with the move.

Sue x

TV's work but you need a digibox (from $30) for dig channels.

Tax is moot I think, so long as it not obviously brand new (and maybe if it is) you should be OK.

Agreed on Dyson or exy posh hoover, in fact bring whatever you can/

hi to you al,

firstly you won't or shouldn't need wardrobes as yes 99% of aussie houses have walk in robes....we have moved a few times for different reasons and have lived in ozz a good few years and have never found when moving around different areas that we have ever needed a wardrobe, they are a big item toi take as well so my advise would be to sell them.

Yes they have walk in wardrobes in the master bedroom. BUT lots of rentals do not have wardrobes in all the bedrooms. Ours didn't and it was brand new. The kids needed wardrobes and we were glad we had brought them.

• 3 weeks later...

My sis moved over a couple of years ago and has advised us to bring loads of bedding and towels. She says good towels and sheets cost a fortune so stock up. Also the beds are slightly different size so if you are taking your own mattress over take bedding.

We have bought new pots and pans and a few other things as well. We dont want to have to pay anything out when we arrive as we dont know when I will be working again. Take whatever you can fit in your container I say!

Good luck with your move.

Guest Buzz18

Hi, Yes definately a Hoover as other people say they are very expensive here and another good tip was plenty of bed linen and pots & pans. See if you can sneek your car in the container as they are stupid prices here too!

Bring some of your own tools too as they are also expensive for good quality and if you have bikes bring them also

Good Luck

• 1 year later...

I had actually read on this site that TV's will work if they can be set to Germany instead of UK as they use the same PAL system as Oz.

Packing info has been useful for me too as we are departing UK early October

Archived