What's your job????

Katerina

Hi all, we recently moved to QLD , we really like it here, DH is working, I am at home with 2 boys (4 years now!) I was working in retail management before , I am planning to go back to work in 2-3 years BUT problem is I have no idea what I would like to do.. You would say that at my age I would but I am honestly struggling with this.I know I will have to reeducate, that's fine but I just really don't know what course/ college to do!!

i can't see myself in office job 8-5, need something flexible, not mad hours( DH travels for work a bit) and good pay of course:twitcy:

Could you post what's sort of job you do and hopefully something will strike me :))

i am really open to anything but don't want to go back to retail( long long hours)

And I am 32:animal-frog:

Thanks

I went back to uni as a mature student and studied geology. Now work in exploration for a large gold mining company.

There are a huge amount of careers available with it, not just mining. In fact the majority of graduates don't go into mining. Other careers include hydrology, GIS, environmental work, teaching, soil investigation, academia, paleontological, geology for state geological services (who often have part time staff). A lot of geologists also work in minerals and mining on a contracting basis so pick and chose the hours they work and when.

Some of the oil geologists, particularly geo steering work from home. They steer the drill bits on the rigs using computers

I went back to uni as a mature student and studied geology. Now work in exploration for a large gold mining company.

There are a huge amount of careers available with it, not just mining. In fact the majority of graduates don't go into mining. Other careers include hydrology, GIS, environmental work, teaching, soil investigation, academia, paleontological, geology for state geological services (who often have part time staff). A lot of geologists also work in minerals and mining on a contracting basis so pick and chose the hours they work and when.

Some of the oil geologists, particularly geo steering work from home. They steer the drill bits on the rigs using computers

That is fascinating VERYSTORMY!! And something that didn't even cross my mind, plenty of mines in here( Gladstone) what UNI did you go to? For how long?

Thanks

haha, let the geologist takover begin. I'm a senior engineering geologist, basically I'm on the dirt end of building, telling designers that the ground conditions are too crap for what they want and what they need to do instead (which they ignore, the structure falls over then I get paid to go and put it upright again). I'm all over the place; in town, down a mine, have done consultancy in PNG, Indonesia and exciting places like Blackwater and Mt Isa. I do contamination work, geotechnical engineering, acid sulfate soils, road investigations, shopping centres, bridges - you name it.

I have 3 degrees and am doing a another part time through UQ at the moment, but you really only need one, in geology or geotechnical engineering, though environmental science will get you in there too. There is no current engineering geology undergraduate degree in Australia, though UQ seem to be thinking about it.

And with my experience doing an online degree, it's no substitute for the real thing - being in a classroom having full interaction is the way to go.

Guest sh7t man no way

im an electrician--why not find a job that fits in with your lifestyle or hobbys--you have 2-3 years to gain any paper work required--good luck,and happyness in what you do

I did my degree in the uk full time, but it can be done part time or even via the open university.

It opens a lot of doors for a wide range of careers and I know that there wasn't a single person from my class that didn't find a career in the area they wanted.

Guest JK2510

I'm a community care assistant looking after people in their own homes.....I'm currently doing a cert 3 in aged care....online course/distance learning.

Online courses are great as you can fit it in around your working day routine.

Guest orlaandjoe

Im a midwife and absolutely love it!never a dull moment lol :smile: good luck in whatever you choose!

I am a nurse. The flexibility is really good - at least in the US, we`ll wait and see in Australia:wink:. I work part-time, 20 hours a week, 9 am - 7 pm, my choice of days ( basically I write my own schedule). Pay is good and we can afford to pay mortgage and bills having 1 full time and 1 part time income. Think of what you would like, money isn`t everything and not all jobs are a good fit for everyone. Geology sounds rather interesting:wink:

If you can afford to study and do something you like then go for it! Unfortunately in life sometimes money comes into the equation and we have to work jobs to bring home the bacon. I am currently unemployed and have been a marketing mananger for some years now. I would like to get into animal care or vet work one day, when I can afford the studies. In the meantime I am trying to get into NFP. Good luck on your choice, it is quite exciting!

I'm a Radiation Safety Officer (yep - physics boffin) and before that worked in Nuclear Medicine.

Ya gotta love Physics to do what I do, so it won't suit most people - but....

Have you considered teaching? money isn't fabulous, but the hours/holidays can be useful for families....

Thanks to everyone,Some interesting jobs you have guys especially you harpodom:biggrin:

I spent 5 hours online last night, as much as I would love to study full time there is just no way we could afford it, there are some online courses for geology.. Etc but I think you have to do those full time, I know I would struggle

I was always interested in property market so I think I will study to get a diploma in property management and obtain a licence to become estate agent and eventually I would add mortgage advisor/ broker as well and hopefully one day when the kids are bigger I WILL open my own agency/ franchise

I'm a community care assistant looking after people in their own homes.....I'm currently doing a cert 3 in aged care....online course/distance learning.

Online courses are great as you can fit it in around your working day routine.

Hi JK2510 are you doing your online course with TAFE? How are you finding it??did you apply for the VET?

Thanks

Guest Flossyboss

Counselling or speech therapy tempted me for a while ... But ended up going off in another direction.

Great that you're up for trying something new and exciting - good luck with it. :biggrin:

I'm a roofer here in uk, hopefully got a job to go to in Perth in July, looking to become a police officer when I get PR.

Archived