Depression and Australia

blobby1000

I have been reading with interest the recent thread and poll on depression started by Moving to Melbourne.

I wonder, people that have experienced depression would you say that it started in the UK or in Australia?

Do you think being in Australia has made things worse or better or has it made no difference.

I am lucky in that I have not experienced real depression for any length of time but I would say that in the 18 months since we moved to Australia both me and my wife have been the closest we have to being depressed. For me, now that I know we are returinng home I feel great, happy and enjoying life in Australia, making the most of it, but I never felt like this when I thought we were staying forever.

I have not met every Brit over here, and nor did I know many of them prior to their move, but I have noticed that many (if not all) of the Brits I have met seem mildly depressed. I am not saying they need medication. They just seem to have no spark. I think I have lost about 30% of myself since coming here. I wonder if this is a kind of dampening down of the personality so that we fit in with this more relaxed way of life....

I think it is the stress of trying to make a go of it in oz that makes a lot of people depressed, think about it, you leave family and friends and spend your life savings on the move, it is a gamble that you want to take but that gamble for some can turn into a nightmare if things do not go as planned work wise, no wonder some people become depressed.

I have been reading with interest the recent thread and poll on depression started by Moving to Melbourne.

I wonder, people that have experienced depression would you say that it started in the UK or in Australia?

Do you think being in Australia has made things worse or better or has it made no difference.

I am lucky in that I have not experienced real depression for any length of time but I would say that in the 18 months since we moved to Australia both me and my wife have been the closest we have to being depressed. For me, now that I know we are returinng home I feel great, happy and enjoying life in Australia, making the most of it, but I never felt like this when I thought we were staying forever.

I have not met every Brit over here, and nor did I know many of them prior to their move, but I have noticed that many (if not all) of the Brits I have met seem mildly depressed. I am not saying they need medication. They just seem to have no spark. I think I have lost about 30% of myself since coming here. I wonder if this is a kind of dampening down of the personality so that we fit in with this more relaxed way of life....

yeah me n the missus been here in melbrne year n a half now and i had never experienced depression in my life untill i came here ! so i found it hard to understand and put my finger on it ! i am not new to travel or moving away from home either but i suppose i was always on the move back then. i think im getting myself back now after all this time but on the other hand i think i started to feel better when we decided we would try queensland after our 2 year victorian sponsor deal ! some days i feel up then others im fed up and confused ! i dont think i miss the uk either to be honest - feels like im in limbo lol:arghh:

Guest Guest31881

They say moving house is the most depressing thing you can do........... Imagine moving house halfway around the world with the stress of sorting kids schools out in a foreign country, finding work and try to fit in and make a go of things....... I can easily understand how people start to suffer with Stress / depression. I think the biggest surprise is that there are not more cases of depression....

They say moving house is the most depressing thing you can do........... Imagine moving house halfway around the world with the stress of sorting kids schools out in a foreign country, finding work and try to fit in and make a go of things....... I can easily understand how people start to suffer with Stress / depression. I think the biggest surprise is that there are not more cases of depression....

I think there is especially amongst men who feel it is weak to show it.

I'll admit to gettin a bit down here in perth and it made me realise in many ways what i took for granted in the uk and the things I 'slagged' off. I honestly thought it would be better here but socially etc it isnt upto now which has made me get slightly down some days (moe than the uk ever did)

I miss going the pub after work, being more active socially and sports wise, here so seems so lonely with most people i know all family orientated or busy doing there own thing. The only thing that stops me getting depressed is the fact i know deep down i can just up and leave Aus wheneve i like... i dont feel trapped cos i all i need to do is bring my emirates flights forward and sell my car but i want to try change my situation and give Perth the best possible shot which is driving me daily rather than getting completely down

I think there is especially amongst men who feel it is weak to show it.

Defo, And men are less likely to go to a GP about it too. The suicide rate in young men is frightening! I personally knew 4 guys between the ages of 21-35 who committed suicide linked to depression and another 3 who have attempted it.. Its very serious!

Australia has very high suicide rates especially among young people although there has been a lot of work over the past few years to try and bring those figures down. A recent senate report suggested that the stats were under-representing suicides by at least 1/3 and there is much going on to try and raise awareness of suicides. I know a few personally who have suicided - nothing to do with migration, just real black dog depression - one couple, both psychs, spring instantly to mind (and you would think they would know what to do about their moods, wouldnt you) leaving a couple of kids, one extremely vulnerable IMHO who might well follow in the parental footsteps. Depression is sort of endemic and there are more folk on meds than not these days!

Can I take this opportunity to plug Lifeline -13 11 14 - there is always someone on the end of the line when you think that there is nothing to look forward to!

Australia has very high suicide rates especially among young people although there has been a lot of work over the past few years to try and bring those figures down. A recent senate report suggested that the stats were under-representing suicides by at least 1/3 and there is much going on to try and raise awareness of suicides. I know a few personally who have suicided - nothing to do with migration, just real black dog depression - one couple, both psychs, spring instantly to mind (and you would think they would know what to do about their moods, wouldnt you) leaving a couple of kids, one extremely vulnerable IMHO who might well follow in the parental footsteps. Depression is sort of endemic and there are more folk on meds than not these days!

Can I take this opportunity to plug Lifeline -13 11 14 - there is always someone on the end of the line when you think that there is nothing to look forward to!

No! We are the most f*&k%d up people of all!!!!

Relocating is a trigger for depression BUT it could really be any two countries. Some people face depression for the first time in their lives as they have shaken their balance for the first time too. I do believe that to a certain extent the move brings out hidden issues that were either "helped" by being at home in a familiar environment, or simply hadn't surfaced for similar reasons. We often hear of people becoming depressed when out of work, but this happens when they haven't relocated too. The fact that relocation packs together so many issues at one time could be why there may seem to be more cases of depression. I mean, only when you relocate may you expect to be leaving your familiar environment, house, family, job, shops, tv, whatever ALL AT THE SAME TIME, and perhaps not find replacements at the other end. That, with the added worries the new place provides, can be very taxing so it is not very surprising is it?

I'm not sure I'm depressed depressed, had bad times throughout my life and have somehow always pulled through. Some days here in Oz are bad bad, others marginally better. I suppose when I know I have reached my limit I will go to the doctor. For now I am still getting out of bed and know that my feelings are conditioned by my circumstances. Finding a job for me will be an instant lift.

I, like 3FatCats, have had down times throughout my life off and on so it is something I struggle with anyway. But things have gotten worse since I've lived here. There's just so many sad times anyway being without family and friends, that there's ample opportunity for depression to develop. Special occasions that always had the potential to lift my spirits aren't the same when you're pining for family. I think anyone with a tendency towards depression should know this before making the move and maybe at least be prepared for it. As 3FatCats said, I'm also handling it, not bedridden or anything, don't take meds, but knowing I am going home has certainly helped me with this.

I've suffered depression ever since my teens (medicated for life) but the move to Oz, for me, was probably a life saver. They say that you can't run away from that which ails you by moving to another country, but in my case, I dispute that.

On arrival, I left behind all my "baggage" and was far too busy anyway for the first 5 or 6 years to dwell on the past which was the main cause of my depression. I've only had one really bad episode triggered by the natural parents of a foster child and the stuff that haunted me in the Uk has never figured in any of the "milder episodes" since I've been here.

I would say that coming to Oz was a really hard struggle for us, and if I'd have encountered similar events in the Uk to those that I have here, I would have gone under. For some reason, I just cope better here.

• 2 weeks later...

Yet thousands of families do it through the Armed Services every 3 years or so. On average 7 times in a 22 year career. They move to the other side of the world, different countries with different languages, schools changes like you wouldnt believe, wives/husbands needing to find work whilst their serving partner may then be sent away to the worst places on the planet for 6 months at a time not knowing if they will ever return. They too are away from family in the UK. Now that is stress. Is it something that you get used to? Is it easier because its part of your job? Is it easier becuase others are in the same boat?

Archived