Ideas (cheapish) for a family holiday during the school winter holidays.

fleks

I'm hoping that PIO can help me.

I am looking for ideas for family (of 5) to have a holiday during the winter school holidays. We have only been in Australia (Sydney) for 4 months so have no idea winter can be like in any of the states, but we briefly considered going up North but flights are expensive, so if we were going to head North I would love recommendations. We are pretty open to most things except Skiiing, and would love to explore Australia. Thanks

You could go to the Gold Coast and explore South East Queensland and Northern NSW. Flights from Sydney would be cheap and the Gold Coast has good value places to stay.

If you could push the boat out and go North Queensland that would probably be the best weather wise.

We went to Cairns/Daintree in July 2 years ago ( roughly at the time of NSW school hols). It was still warm enough. Great for kids. There are many things you can do with a family - diving/snorkeling the Great barrier reef, crocodile spotting, nature trails, Cape tribulation, exotic fruit farms and home-made ice creams ....

Would recommend staying here:

http://www.daintreecrocodylus.com.au/crocodylusvillage/Welcome.html

they have large tents on platforms ( with bathroom ) and you feel like you are in the forest by yourself, can hear all the sounds, it was wonderful. It wasn`t expensive 2 y ago.

option 2 - if you can`t fly due to the expense, mid-north coast is within driving distance from Sydney. Area around Coff`s harbor is very nice and there is a lot to do for kids.

If flights or the destinations already mentioned are over your budget you could consider visiting the area around Byron Bay, Lennox Head and Ballina or stay a little closer to home in the Forster/Tuncurry area.

For something completely different that doesn't involve being near the coast head out to Broken Hill and give the kids a taste of being on the edge of the outback.

One of our best family breaks was in Coffs harbour at a BIG4 Cabin park the park had lots of for the kids to do free of charge and the beach was across the road. The long pier is only a short drive away and its a nice leisurely walk when you get there.

Cal x

• 4 weeks later...