Interview with BHP - Any tips??

nicolac34

The OH has an interview with BHP tomorrow and after 7 months of rejection and getting nowhere he's nervous!

It's a really good opportunity, however he doesn't tick all the boxes that are on the job description so he's worried he doesn't stand a chance... but they've asked him for interview so that's got to mean something!

It's for a Supply Analyst role so if anyone has anything helpful they might be able to pass on to give him a bit of an edge it would be appreciated!

Good luck to the OH Nic. Do all the research you can on-line about BHP. What there projects are, where he might end up, what the role might be, check their website out thoroughly and write down a few things to memorise. Even if it's nothing to do with the role if he gets the chance to bring it up in the interview at least it will show he's had enough interest to look what BHP is about.

Might just be the difference between him getting the job and being close.

Like you say, he has got to the interview stage so it must mean something. They would be a good company to work for.

Just do a google search for supply analyst too. Might give you an idea of what the role will be. Could even be a breakdown of the role on the BHP website.

Edited by Paul1Perth

If he has had no mining experience before, he needs to mug up on how his previous experience can relate to mining,

I failed to get a role with a mining company and I think it was because they didn't think I would be able to handle the stakeholders (he may not get this as he is male!), but be able to describe how he would deal with difficult 'blue collar' workers - and research the old chestnut 'Why should I hire you?' They're very fond of asking it here!

Good luck, Interview nerves are no fun! - I take rescue remedy (placebo effect I'm sure) and convince myself that it works......

Hi there

What division is the interview with? I'm a contractor with Iron Ore and would say to take a look at the Charter - they are REALLY big on this and it's implications.

http://www.bhpbilliton.com/home/aboutus/ourcompany/pages/charter.aspx

As was already mentioned, they are very safety focused and mentioning awareness of this would be helpful.

Even if he doesn't have mining experience, it shouldn't hold him back - focus on the positives and other experience he can offer. They are quite forward thinking so I wouldn't dwell too much on that. They are very much are demonstrated achievements (as is the Australian job market in general!) so go in with a stack of examples ready to go.

They are also very much looking at forward improvement and growth (despite what the media says!) so might be worth bearing that in mind too.

Not at all. It's a huge organisation! Iron Ore are going through a bit of growth so not a bad time to be looking at joining.

If his interview is at City Square (Brookfield Place), just warn him that the offices are amazing!

i second the bit about safety. "give an example of where you brought about a positive effect on safety".. Its almost to the point where .. if you dont say.. "i'm safety focused" then they assume that you are not and that further more you some sort of madman..!

or that could be just me?

good luck...

personally, i hate interviews.. taking them or implementing them

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds good to me Nic. Lots of good luck to your other half. If he's got to the medical and checking reference stage it sounds like he's in bar the shouting. Great company to be with and should be plenty of opportunities when he gets in.

Hop there will be a popping of champagne corks soon, he must be over the moon, it's horrible being out of work.

Would have been if he'd got it! :confused:

So after reference checking and sending him for a medical, they updated his online application status to "not progressed further in this selection exercise". Didn't call, didn't email, just did that. It's taken him 3 days to get anyone to return his calls - just been told he didn't get it (obviously) and there was nothing he could have done any better - they just went with the other guy.

*goes away to bang head against wall*

That is so frustrating. Did they at least provide any feedback? What did the other guy have your OH didn't? Help him keep his hopes up, a mate of mine just landed a job after 16 months of unemployment.

They said he had a great application and a great interview and he really couldn't improve it (as he did ask what he could do to be the one to get the job next time) she just said it was 'one of those things' and next time it might be different. He did try and probe and ask why they chose the other guy and she just ummed and ahhhed and said she wasn't involved in the decision and couldn't really tell for sure.

16 months?! Wowzers. Having one of those days today where I just don't know whether it's all worth it. Might be if I actually liked my job, but I hate it, so he's miserable not working and I'm miserable working!!

What a shame after getting so close. The other guy could have been known to the interviewer - either a mate/internal candidate - this happens often in Bris where I am, and whilst other candidates, particularly ones with strong experience can be considered, nepotism is usually the order of the day if it's a close match

Nothing of course excuse the extreme rudeness of the non reply - This stuff is really badly handled here and an indication of the very poor levels of hiring maturity and respect for candidates

Keep positive Nicolac34 and hubby...... Sometimes just being good at an interview and not getting the job you apply for can bring other opportunities and you just have to keep a positive attitude - not easy I know at times. Unfortunately in Oz it seems to be a case of who you know and not what you know at times too, so hubbys name is now "out there" with BHP and something else could come along with them. And as for not liking your job but having to go everyday anyway.... well I could write a book on that one... but the job I hated that I did for nearly 3 years, was the job that got me the best job I have ever had in my career. As I said before, you have to keep that positivity going as it will attract positive energy. Sending hugs and best wishes to you both!

Hi there Nicolac34,

I am in the same boat as your husband and today also went for an interview and got the email in the evening saying they went for the other candidate as his experience was more closer to what they look for. Its very frustrating and I also do not know what more to do. Anyway I think we need to be positive and one day we will get the break that we all deserve. TC and be strong and You are not alone.

• 2 months later...

Well, today I have some great news! After 11 months of applying for every job under the sun, 8 months of that with no work whatsoever, the OH has just been offered a permanent job! :jiggy:

It's a good job - a step up and a managerial position (which he's not had before) and *almost* on what he was earning before he was royally shafted by his old Company.

The Perth job market is TOUGH and I don't envy anyone who is in the position we were in, I can't believe we've made it! So happy we can actually start to plan for the future.

Oh, and icing on the cake, his old company were evicted for unpaid rent and are being investigated by the tax office for fraud - KARMA if ever I've seen it :laugh: