Mossies

Nigelsmith

Hi

Appreciate if someone could shed light on mossies.

Are they widely common in Perth and surrounding areas?

During which months are they a real pest?

I have heard of some breed that make a terrible noise preventing people from sleeping at night, is this true of the oz mossies?

Any other info.

Thank you

Regards

Nigel

They can be really bad in certain areas at certain times. It's not as easy as saying avoid one location. For example where I live there have been hardly any for the last couple of years but before that the previous two were terrible. Areas with water and about an hour around dawn & dusk are usually the worst. Aero guard tropical strength works for me.

All female mozzies make the same noise. It's not a "terrible" noise - it's more like a faint whine, but it's persistent and it's annoying. If it suddenly flies past your ear, it's going to be loud enough to wake you up. Plus, of course, you know if you can hear it, you're likely to get bitten, so you can't afford to ignore it.

You can't generalise about a whole city and mozzies. Mozzies breed where there's stagnant water, so if you're near a river with mangroves, for instance, you're more likely to get them than if you're in a high-rise miles from water. But you can have a problem anywhere - we had heaps of them in our Sydney flat, until we tracked the problem down to an old bucket in the rubbish area at the back of the block - it was full of water.

They can be really bad in certain areas at certain times. It's not as easy as saying avoid one location. For example where I live there have been hardly any for the last couple of years but before that the previous two were terrible. Areas with water and about an hour around dawn & dusk are usually the worst. Aero guard tropical strength works for me.

During which months do you see them?

Will I need to sleep under a net?

All female mozzies make the same noise. It's not a "terrible" noise - it's more like a faint whine, but it's persistent and it's annoying. If it suddenly flies past your ear, it's going to be loud enough to wake you up. Plus, of course, you know if you can hear it, you're likely to get bitten, so you can't afford to ignore it.

You can't generalise about a whole city and mozzies. Mozzies breed where there's stagnant water, so if you're near a river with mangroves, for instance, you're more likely to get them than if you're in a high-rise miles from water. But you can have a problem anywhere - we had heaps of them in our Sydney flat, until we tracked the problem down to an old bucket in the rubbish area at the back of the block - it was full of water.

I have experienced them and they do keep me awake!!

Agrreed, water is the culprit!

I guess, summer eve are a feast for the mossies.

During which months do you see them?

Will I need to sleep under a net?

I've never ever had one in the house. We have screens on all the windows, we use an automated anti insect spray in the house that squirts on movement so if one were to sneak in it would die, so no need for nets. The summer months are the worst when they are here.

This is the result of a Basso mozzie - I never hear them or feel them.....until it's too late!! And this one was on my leg (before anyone has any inappropriate comments to make!!), I forgot to use the Bushman's again (strong stuff, it will melt you sunnies and your phone so wash your hands!).

Aussie mozzie blister.jpg

Aussie mozzie blister.jpg

Appreciate if someone could shed light on mossies.

Mozzies are a real pest mainly in summer in Perth and the wet season up north.

And they are very annoying loudly buzzing when they dive bomb your ear at night when you are trying to sleep.

And you really want to avoid being bitten as Ross River Fever is a horrible disease to catch.

Many people use DEET to deter them but personally I don't like putting these sort of chemicals on my skin.

There is also a spray you can make from citronella, dettol and baby oil; if you don't mind stinking of dettol!

I find mozzies mainly annoying at night or they are also attracted to bathrooms because of the water.

If camping or if your house does not have fly-wire screening on the doors and windows, then a mozzie net should be slept under at night.

You can burn coils but it is dangerous to leave a coil burning unsupervised

Personally I use a brilliant plug in device that I buy from the supermarket called Mortein's mozzie zapper

http://www.mortein.com.au/products/auto-plugins/odourless-mozzie-zapper/

Works like a charm and I have not been bitten at night since I started using these.

But if you do get bitten then first put pure 100% Lavender Essential Oil on the bite first and then use some Oil of Oregano.

Oil of Oregano works brilliantly on sand flies and tick bites too.

In fact, if you have a tick embedded and cannot remove it a drop or two of the oil will help the tick fall out.

Does that cover all you need to know?

Mozzies are a real pest mainly in summer in Perth and the wet season up north.

And they are very annoying loudly buzzing when they dive bomb your ear at night when you are trying to sleep.

And you really want to avoid being bitten as Ross River Fever is a horrible disease to catch.

Many people use DEET to deter them but personally I don't like putting these sort of chemicals on my skin.

There is also a spray you can make from citronella, dettol and baby oil; if you don't mind stinking of dettol!

I find mozzies mainly annoying at night or they are also attracted to bathrooms because of the water.

If camping or if your house does not have fly-wire screening on the doors and windows, then a mozzie net should be slept under at night.

You can burn coils but it is dangerous to leave a coil burning unsupervised

Personally I use a brilliant plug in device that I buy from the supermarket called Mortein's mozzie zapper

http://www.mortein.com.au/products/auto-plugins/odourless-mozzie-zapper/

Works like a charm and I have not been bitten at night since I started using these.

But if you do get bitten then first put pure 100% Lavender Essential Oil on the bite first and then use some Oil of Oregano.

Oil of Oregano works brilliantly on sand flies and tick bites too.

In fact, if you have a tick embedded and cannot remove it a drop or two of the oil will help the tick fall out.

Does that cover all you need to know?

Thank you for detailed info.

This is the result of a Basso mozzie - I never hear them or feel them.....until it's too late!! And this one was on my leg (before anyone has any inappropriate comments to make!!), I forgot to use the Bushman's again (strong stuff, it will melt you sunnies and your phone so wash your hands!).

Woe I've never seen one of those. My get huge like a satsuma size but nothing like that. Where in Australia are they?

All of WA can have issues with mozzies.

Nets ts can be used and I know a number of people that use them.

The only known thing to keep them off you are DEET based products. However, I would not recomend them for long term use.

They tend to come in waves over the summer months. Here in Mandurah, the council carries out aerial spraying to prevent them, but we will still get a few weeks when they are a lot of them about. During which time, avoid wearing dark colours. Wear long sleeves and long trousers. Do not sit out on a evening.

I get bitten frequently if I don't take preventative action. We don't live near water. My bites have got progressively less severe the longer we live here. I use chemical deterrents (not ideal but necessary) mosquito coils outdoors, the more expensive candles are useful (got 2 for $2 each at Coles last week) The plug in things are good for indoors. An air mister for outside too. Doesn't stop us being outdoors in nice weather after dark. Sit out all night with the defences mentioned

Mozzies love me. I get bitten every time I go to visit Benn without a doubt. The bites can get as big as a grapefruit and often (once calmed) hang around for weeks afterwards. I am moving to Bunbury so can't wait to be eaten to death. I use insect repellent spray, can't remember what brand, and my fiancée always makes sure to have a citronella coil hanging around if outside. I didn't get bitten after that. Defo didn't see or hear them anywhere in the house either, we just made sure the flight screens were closed and that seemed to do the trick.

Edited by GooseRenders
Typo

Mozzies love me. I get bitten every time I go to visit Benn without a doubt. The bites can get as big as a grapefruit and often (once calmed) hang around for weeks afterwards. I am moving to Bunbury so can't wait to be eaten to death. I use insect repellent spray, can't remember what brand, and my fiancée always makes sure to have a citronella coil hanging around if outside. I didn't get bitten after that. Defo didn't see or hear them anywhere in the house either, we just made sure the flight screens were closed and that seemed to do the trick.

Have you tried taking vitamin B1? I used to be a mosquito magnet and was really worried when I went to Kakadu because of dengue fever etc. I went to the chemist in Darwin to stock up on repellent and she told me to forget the repellent and take the B1 instead.

And it worked! Didn't get bitten once.

Have you tried taking vitamin B1? I used to be a mosquito magnet and was really worried when I went to Kakadu because of dengue fever etc. I went to the chemist in Darwin to stock up on repellent and she told me to forget the repellent and take the B1 instead.

And it worked! Didn't get bitten once.

Awesome, I'll keep that in mind for when I get out there! thanks!

Mossies in Australia are not just a pest.They are a HUGE HEALTH PROBLEM.Don't take them Lightly.

Hi all, Benn here (GooseRenders OH).

Zack, as someone born and raised here in WA I find your statement to be a huge overreaction!

I'd say they are nothing more than an annoying pest. Yes there is a chance of contracting Ross River Virus but honestly unless you are up North your chances are pretty slim. Especially if you whack on a bit of repellent. It's not like we are in Africa and need to worry about Malaria!!

A lot of areas do aerial spraying which keeps them in check really well. It's only really when the weather warms up that you need to be mindful. You see almost none during the cooler months.

Honestly if you are sensible and wear some repellent, light a mozzie coil or stick (or two or three) or have a big zapper hanging up you really have nothing to worry about.

In any case a mozzie bite or two is par for the course. I do know however that those of you born in good old Blighty do seem to be very attractive to mosquitoes and your poor delicate English skin does seem to react quote impressively to a decent mozzie bite. As for me if I get bitten unless I really scratch it they tend to go away within 24 hours or so and more often than not I don't even notice them.

I guess that's what years of good breeding from our convict past to today has created!!

In the early days I used to get bitten bad, the bites used to come up real bad, and i was never without my bushmans, now I don't use anything.

even early evening yesterday taking my dogs to a local park side lake, I could feel I was getting bit, so moved on. Nothing to show.

reckon they just like new blood:laugh:

Hi all, Benn here (GooseRenders OH).

Zack, as someone born and raised here in WA I find your statement to be a huge overreaction!

I'd say they are nothing more than an annoying pest. Yes there is a chance of contracting Ross River Virus but honestly unless you are up North your chances are pretty slim. Especially if you whack on a bit of repellent. It's not like we are in Africa and need to worry about Malaria!!

A lot of areas do aerial spraying which keeps them in check really well. It's only really when the weather warms up that you need to be mindful. You see almost none during the cooler months.

Honestly if you are sensible and wear some repellent, light a mozzie coil or stick (or two or three) or have a big zapper hanging up you really have nothing to worry about.

In any case a mozzie bite or two is par for the course. I do know however that those of you born in good old Blighty do seem to be very attractive to mosquitoes and your poor delicate English skin does seem to react quote impressively to a decent mozzie bite. As for me if I get bitten unless I really scratch it they tend to go away within 24 hours or so and more often than not I don't even notice them.

I guess that's what years of good breeding from our convict past to today has created!!

That should read BUG zapper but hey you could get a big zapper too I guess haha!

Also when I was traveling I took a Vitamin B6 or B12 (I think) well it was one of the Vitamin B's anyway.

Took daily for six months in Darwin, Malaysia and those sort of humid tropical areas.

And never even got buzzed or bitten by mozzies. Coils, zappers and netting were never required.

I think it was Vitamin B1 I took - can't really remember now - it seemed to work and if I was bitten, I just dabbed on a touch of methylated spirits which killed the itch dead.