Mossies

Nigelsmith

Mozzies LOVE me unfortunately, bites and welts galore if I don't lather myself in the strongest bushmans. I found something worse though - sand flies!! MANY MANY more bites, most of them blistered and swollen, so itchy and sore so much so it put me in hospital but they were further north in WA and it was my own fault for using a a milder repellant which wasn't bushmans! After that experience, I quite like mozzie in comparison though =).

Hate them. Dreadful things. We get them on Summer evenings here so I don't go out without the aeroguard on. I find bushman's a bit too toxic for me though do use it overseas where you might get some awful disease. Goldfish like to eat the larva and we found that having a pond with fish in helped keep them away- sounds daft but it worked for us.

Also when I was traveling I took a Vitamin B6 or B12 (I think) well it was one of the Vitamin B's anyway.

Took daily for six months in Darwin, Malaysia and those sort of humid tropical areas.

And never even got buzzed or bitten by mozzies. Coils, zappers and netting were never required.

It must have been Vitamin B1. It can be a bit harder to find than the other B vitamins (unless you're up in Darwin, all the chemists have it there!). The other B vitamins don't have the same effect.

Hate them. Dreadful things. We get them on Summer evenings here so I don't go out without the aeroguard on. I find bushman's a bit too toxic for me though do use it overseas where you might get some awful disease. Goldfish like to eat the larva and we found that having a pond with fish in helped keep them away- sounds daft but it worked for us.

Unfortunately you can get "some awful disease" from them in Australia too. Dengue fever has been up in the Northern Territory for a long time now and is travelling south. Ross River Fever is as far south as Sydney now. So pack the Vitamin B1 if you're doing any touring (that stops them biting).

It must have been Vitamin B1.

Could well have been.

So long ago now; that I don't remember the precise details.

But I do remember that it worked magnificently.

A lady staff member in a health food shop in Far North Queensland randomly told me about it, when I went in seeking a natural spray alternative to the horrendous chemical Deet.

I was a bit skeptic (especially as a doctor and a chemist both told me it was a load of rubbish - old wives tale), but I was so desperate for relief as I was a total sand fly and mozzie magnet - that I tried it.

So glad I did. It worked brilliantly. Never again on my travels in the tropics did I need any other protection like creams, sprays, coils, plug-ins, malaria vaccinations or nets.

Plus my terrible period pains completely vanished the entire time I was on it.

Could well have been.

So long ago now; that I don't remember the precise details.

But I do remember that it worked magnificently.

A lady staff member in a health food shop in Far North Queensland randomly told me about it, when I went in seeking a natural spray alternative to the horrendous chemical Deet.

I discovered it exactly the same way, from a chemist in Darwin. Definitely vitamin B1, no question, I researched it later too.