Do u pay for schooling?

rachel summers

All schools will levy a "voluntary contribution" which is usually around $75-100 per term - technically voluntary but the assumption is that you will pay it. Also add in the costs of uniforms, stationery, books, visiting teachers, excursions, extra lessons eg swimming, music etc and you will find yourself out of pocket to the tune of several hundred a year. If you choose a private school then you will be up for anywhere between $3k and $20k pa per child

It can also depend on which Visa you come in on .Ours is a 175 Independent Skills Visa .I pay the School books Uniform , Laptop and Voluntary Contribution, along with the Extra stuff they do .................................SWIMMING , SCHOOL TRIPS MUSIC LESSONS and like Quoll says if they get people in to Speak to the children on specific stuff you pay a fee to allow your child to take part.It can be an expensive exercise if you choose the wrong school .

• 5 months later...

WOW , voluntary fees of $75 upwards per term ???? Jeez its that per YEAR around here (QLD) for State schools,, even then i believe not many people actually pay it as its 'voluntary' so your under no obligation to pay.

Maybe someone in Perth will be along soon as its sounding a hell of a lot more expensive than QLD, so my advice/ costings isnt much use.

Cal x

Do you have to pay the voluntary fees? I understood voluntary doesn't mean compulsory?

In this state the term is "school levy" or "compulsory levy" - nothing voluntary about it. However, there are concessions for families on low incomes.

Our school asks for an annual contribution of $60 per child, uniform cost about $250, stationary about $90 then other activities maybe another $100.

If you are PR and claiming family assistance from centrelink you get $410 a year Schoolkid Bonus (unless the Liberals get in next month).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

We are in Perth and pay $1000 per year for private schooling in a Catholic School. On top of that we have to pay about $100 per year for family and friends levy and about $300 towards stationery. We had to buy about $20 worth of stuff at the start of the first term and that was it. Kindy t-shirts (not compulsory but try telling that to a 4 year old when all the rest of his class are wearing them) were $15 each.

We worked it out with one of our old neighbours who sent their kids to a state school and we are actually paying less per year to send our kids to the local private Catholic school, than they are to send their children to the local state school.

Do you only get the school kids bonus if you receive at least one of the family tax benefits? Our was cancelled recently after i secured a job and it took us over the $96k joint earnings, so am i right in thinking we would not get the school kids bonus?

I thought the threshold was higher than that, nearer $120k as we jointly earn $96k and still get some assistance. Yes I think you have to be receiving Part A to get Schoolkids Bonus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I keep getting letters about paying the voluntary funds from Atwell school but have not paid it yet as I figured its voluntary! I pay the compulsory fees trips etc and I will be paying yr 10 subject fees next year too! Does anyone know?

It is voluntary but the schools really do need that money.