HELP NEEDED!!! Teacher in the UK - struggling with profession criteria.

Guest siforestiero

Guest siforestiero

Hi everyone.

Myself and my wife are desperate to emigrate to Oz from the UK. She is a Mental Health Nursing Assistant and I am a secondary school teacher. As far as we're aware, my wife's profession doesn't come up on the skilled profession list, but mine does. I did a pre-visa points check which came up ok to get a 3 year state-sponsored working visa.

"Great" we thought, until the AITSL- who decide what qualifications you need to make it possible for you to teach in Oz - have decided that my Teacher Training Quals aren't acceptable for me for migration purposes to teach there..... GUTTED :(

I've been emailing everyone I can think of - State Depts of Education / British Council etc, but as yet not making much progress.

So... was wondering, what other options do you think we have got?

- Do you think I could use my (old) Architecture qualifications as a way in? (trouble is, although I gained a degree, a postgrad and a Masters in architecture, I didn't qualify as a fully-fledged architect and went into DJing straight after uni , so dont have any experience in an architect's practice)

- Or how does it work if I get a job before I go out? Do I still need to satisfy the immigration/ AITSL to get in as a teacher if I already have been offered a job?

Any thoughts gratefully appreciated.

Thanks so much,

Simon & Nicola

====================================================

I do not think you could use your Architect qual because you would then fail the visa requirement for recent work experience.

I got passed on my hairdressing quals by a dozen case officer when I was applying on my childcare quals, I would not have got a visa under hairdressing because I had not worked as one for 10 years!!

Speak to an Agent, you can usually get a preliminary phone call for free, but even if it costs it would be worth getting professional advise.

Good luck! ;0)

Guest siforestiero
can i ask what are your uk teacher quals?

I gained a Postgraduate Certificate in Teaching (PGCertT) with Merit plus completing the Graduate Teacher Programme (rated ' Outstanding') which led to Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) in the UK. All this on top of a BA(Hons.), postgraduate BArch and MA(By Research) in Architecture.......

if you did GTP you are screwed basically. sorry. minimum oz look for is either a 4 year teaching degree, or a 3 year degree plus PGCE. they never bend on this.

It's SO infuriating. :arghh:

I'm educated to Masters Level in architecture, completed Teacher Training rated as equivalent to PGCE (in the UK at least!) to get a University Diploma, been rated "outstanding" in several observations and yet I still cant get accepted on an equal basis to other teachers! Grrr....!

I've even got my GTP provider to ask if I could use the credits from my Teaching Diploma (33% of a Education Masters) to go forward to complete a Masters degree here before I apply as a way to overcome this, but it still looks like its not possible.

What's worse is that from April, there's talk that the UK will allow teachers from Aus, NZ, US etc. with similar qualifications to enter the profession here WITHOUT a reciprocal agreement for UK teachers. :(

My wife is a Nursing Assistant in Mental Health (not on the Skills list), so we're considering her going for her Nursing Degree to get in - but will I have to give up Teaching when and if we get to Oz based on her visa because of my training route? One migration agent I spoke to (briefly) suggested if I can get a school to sponsor me, we could get out there - but I'm concerned that each State's Education authority need to grant me license to teach there - do they use the same criteria?

I reckon I've sent about 200 emails in the last few days and getting nowhere fast......

===============================

new info.....

I've just been to : http://www.immi.gov.au/asri/occupations/s/secondary-school-teacher.htm

and seen this : "This occupation has a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification. At least five years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualification. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1)."

What do you think this might do to my chances?

Edited by siforestiero
new info.....?

Sorry, I still dont think they are going to budge on this one - it's not like there is a shortage of teachers in Australia and once they bend the rules for one they will open a Pandora's box. Can you go back to being an architect? Dont know if that is on anyone's skill list.

Another alternative would be to do a cert iv in Training and Assessment when you arrive and look at adult training rather than school age teaching. Just a thought - it would be cheaper than trying to cobble together some teacher education package. Assuming your wife gets the visa on her skills, that is.

Guest siforestiero

Thanks for getting in touch.....

Sorry, I still dont think they are going to budge on this one - it's not like there is a shortage of teachers in Australia and once they bend the rules for one they will open a Pandora's box.

Been onto my MP, AITSL - it just seems so unfair!

Can you go back to being an architect? Dont know if that is on anyone's skill list.

I'd need to do AT LEAST another year in practice before taking a professional examination to call myself an "architect" (I've been out of the profession for 12years), then another year of experience before I could even APPLY... :(

Another alternative would be to do a cert iv in Training and Assessment when you arrive and look at adult training rather than school age teaching. Just a thought - it would be cheaper than trying to cobble together some teacher education package. Assuming your wife gets the visa on her skills, that is.

I did do some part-time university tutoring (Architecture/Interior Design/Computer Aided Design) when I was doing my Masters Degree back in 1998/1999, but my wife is a Nursing Assistant, which isn't on the skills list :(

It really is SO frustrating.

I have a good friend currently in the same position. We had no idea GTP wasn't recognised until she paid for a migration agent and started the state sponsorship process. Like you she has made several hundred calls since this depressing news. Follow some of the GTP threads on there, but what i can tell you is that her only option (BA plus QTS plus 10 years teaching experience) is to re do a PGCE. HOWEVER, it is very hard to find a provider who will allow a teacher currently working and qualified to do one BUT she has found one. HOWEVER, even if she does this, she will THEN need an extra 2 years post qualifying UK exp before she can apply. She is weighing this up against doing the same thing here in Australia as a Masters of Education- if you have a spare load of cash, you can qualify here then apply for a graduate visa which will hopefully then go through to PR. I can't tell you what to do, but i can tell you neither way is quick or simple. Hope this helps. It's truly crap that the GTP was sold as a great route into teaching but it doesn't look like being world recognised anytime soon. Sorry.

Without meaning to be unkind, you have to realise that Australia sets its own criteria for immigration and professional qualifications and in many cases standards are much higher than in the UK. As you do not meet the criteria, you need to gain extra qualifications or training to comply to meet them. There is nothing unfair about it at all.

Australia sets high criteria because it doesn't want to end up in the social and economic mess that the UK is in and is one of the reasons why educational attainment levels are much higher than the UK. Perhaps if all teachers had to have a Masters degree in Education like they do in Finland, then the Uk will be top of the TIMSS and PISA tables and not at the bottom.

Australia is an independent nation and not a colony and gets thousands of applications from people all over the world, not just the UK. Everyone applying for a visa is facing stiff competition and Australia only wants the best candidates. You can't blame Australia if the UK has lower standards and doesn't consider your qualifications or experience suitable.

If you gain extra qualifications and experience, then you will meet the criteria and should get a visa. If this takes a lot of time and money then that is what you need to do.

Been onto my MP, AITSL - it just seems so unfair!

It really is SO frustrating.

Dont know that your UK MP is going to be much use in getting you into Australia. As BB said, Australia is a foreign country and it can set its bars as high or low as it likes. Sorry you seem to be the one missing out but you arent alone! Perhaps, if you are desperate to leave UK you might have more luck with Canada? (No idea, just a suggestion).

I thought you were considering your wife doing a nursing degree which would then make her eligible for the visa (sorry if I got that wrong)

Guest siforestiero
Australia sets high criteria because it doesn't want to end up in the social and economic mess that the UK is in and is one of the reasons why educational attainment levels are much higher than the UK. Perhaps if all teachers had to have a Masters degree in Education like they do in Finland, then the Uk will be top of the TIMSS and PISA tables and not at the bottom.

I TOTALLY respect that statement. The thing is, I have a degree, a postgraduate diploma and Research Masters (albeit in Architecture) in addition to the Postgraduate Teaching qualification I got through doing the GTP. I've been graded as 'outstanding' on several occasions, and I would happily do one of the Masters degrees in Education/Teaching (I was thinking of doing one anyway) as a means to 'top-up' my qualifications to demonstrate my ability to teach in Australia.

Trouble is, as it stands I'd need to go backwards to get preliminary qualifications in place to stand a chance of qualifying for a visa which seems ridiculous. I'm all for 'proving your worth' but surely that would be by getting a superior qualification that reflects my skills and experience?

I thought you were considering your wife doing a nursing degree which would then make her eligible for the visa (sorry if I got that wrong)

That is an option we're considering. Will I have to give up my career though if we went out with my wife as the visa applicant? Do the individual states recognise the GTP as adequate training to teach if I were to apply for a job?

I TOTALLY respect that statement. The thing is, I have a degree, a postgraduate diploma and Research Masters (albeit in Architecture) in addition to the Postgraduate Teaching qualification I got through doing the GTP. I've been graded as 'outstanding' on several occasions, and I would happily do one of the Masters degrees in Education/Teaching (I was thinking of doing one anyway) as a means to 'top-up' my qualifications to demonstrate my ability to teach in Australia.

Trouble is, as it stands I'd need to go backwards to get preliminary qualifications in place to stand a chance of qualifying for a visa which seems ridiculous. I'm all for 'proving your worth' but surely that would be by getting a superior qualification that reflects my skills and experience?

That is an option we're considering. Will I have to give up my career though if we went out with my wife as the visa applicant? Do the individual states recognise the GTP as adequate training to teach if I were to apply for a job?

No, you wont get approval to teach in any state, they all require the 4 year qualification so, yes, you may have to give up your career or do further study to make yourself eligible (which might be easier said than done, unfortunately)

I really feel for you. I am in a similar situation, it looks like I am unable to apply for a visa as I have been working as a PE teacher in a Primary School for 5 years even though I have a 4 year BA Hons in secondary PE. I therefore miss out on the 12 months work experience in the specific job. It now looks like I will have to either leave a job I love (which I couldn't really do until Dec) and try and find another job wait for a year then apply, or try and look for another route in. Just seems silly. Hope you find a way to get there

Edited by australia94

could yo both not look at continuing with the qualifications you need? I know that may be easier said than done due to financial costs and time etc. But it strikes me that you are one course away from being able to apply yourself. Your wife would benefit from doing a nursing degree and then you could settle in Oz in 3-4 years time ina much better position? Maybe I am over simplifying it though?

Sorry should have added that 3-4 years seems a long time when you are starting out, but me and my husband will ahve been talkingabout this for almost 5 years by the time we get there and it feels like its just a few moments now we are almost there.

Hi Simon,

I am in exactly the same position. I am a primary school teacher and I did the GTP in 2008. I have been out here almost 2 years on a working holiday visa teaching children in their own homes (on a cattle property) via distance education. I have two families that want to sponsor me but can't, not even in the farming business.

My ONLY way to stay (and believe me I have researched EVERY possibility) is to go to uni and retrain as an Early Childhood teacher. I am going to the Sunshine Coast in July to do a one year Graduate Diploma which will allow me to teach here. It is very expensive ($18k tuition fees) but it will be worth it for me. I have been very lucky to secure the jobs I've had these past 18 months where I am on a good wage and my food and board is included which has allowed me to save enough for my uni year.

I understand your frustration. Teaching is the one thing I am actually good at, parents at my distance ed school are outraged that I can't teach and I feel like I'm letting my employer down by not being able to stay with them longer than 6 months.

If you're both under 30 you can get two years on a working holiday visa to start you off (you must do three months rural work to get a second year) and anything can happen in two years. You can study for four months on a WHV too.

If you do find any other solution please do let me know.

HI Simon, Welcome to PIO - I would suggest a free consulatation with an Immigration Agent to assess your options. Good luck

An almost certain way of getting your money's worth.

- Or how does it work if I get a job before I go out? Do I still need to satisfy the immigration/ AITSL to get in as a teacher if I already have been offered a job?

Possibly not.

So... was wondering, what other options do you think we have got?

To obtain a considered professional opinion about possible strategies, may I suggest you put the full facts of your case to a registered migration agent?

All the best