Palm Tree Felling

tonyman

Has anyone managed to fell there own palms ? If so whats the best way to do it ? the only way i can see is throw a rope around the top of it ,cut a "V" and pull....then everyone shouts Timber and runs for there lives .............is that all there is to it ........or would any of you kind poms in oz like to come and do it for me ...?

Guest Guest31881

How tall is the Palm, is it possible to hire a Cherry Picker (Crane with basket) to cut the top off first and then cut it down in sections. That way if the tree did fall the wrong way it should do little or no damage.

Guest guest17301

I would call in a professional Nick, its probably safer. Why would you want to get rid of your palms though, I love palms...we have quite a few but Western power keep telling us to cut them back.....

I want a date palm for my back garden

I've cut plenty down. They're soft and you'll go through 'em with an ordinary saw. Just tie a rop around 'em, start cutting and when you're nearly through, get someone to pull on the rope in the direction you want it to fall........the pulling will pinch the saw so start a cut from the opposite side. failing that, you can use ladders and start from the top chopping it down in smaller pieces. They really are very soft and don't take a lot of sawing.

they are about 12 yr old and between 15 and 20 odd ft ,ive had one took out by neighbour who is a land scape gardener ,i asked him if he wanted a payed job of taking them all out he said best get the pro`s as the real fast and take it all away , he probs thinks im loaded .....think we have 7 left .....Fiona i love them too but my veg isnt growing at all well and im worried that the roots will eventually pull a fence down,also the wasp are a pain when the pods open ,plus if a pod falls with the spike ,our kids would suffer some serious damage for sure .......i was thinking of putting in some dwarf palms and more banana plants ...? how much do you think it is to hire a cherry picker as i have a licence for them......

we had the same problem...but our was over our pool and damn seeds kept droppin in plus not to give anyone the heebie jeebies but they attract rats which in turn attract snakes...they are not that light or soft if the trunks are quite thick.... got the experience on that one to... maybe fone round and ask how much for cash... they will take it away as well.... we found that one palm had started to die and the bloke who cut them had to to be really careful. Cant help you on who to call as it was a work collegue of OH who used to be a tree surgeon that did it for a crate lol...

they are about 12 yr old and between 15 and 20 odd ft ,ive had one took out by neighbour who is a land scape gardener ,i asked him if he wanted a payed job of taking them all out he said best get the pro`s as the real fast and take it all away , he probs thinks im loaded .....think we have 7 left .....Fiona i love them too but my veg isnt growing at all well and im worried that the roots will eventually pull a fence down,also the wasp are a pain when the pods open ,plus if a pod falls with the spike ,our kids would suffer some serious damage for sure .......i was thinking of putting in some dwarf palms and more banana plants ...? how much do you think it is to hire a cherry picker as i have a licence for them......

Has anyone managed to fell there own palms ? If so whats the best way to do it ? the only way i can see is throw a rope around the top of it ,cut a "V" and pull....then everyone shouts Timber and runs for there lives .............is that all there is to it ........or would any of you kind poms in oz like to come and do it for me ...?

Just cut down two about 30ft tall last week,.they were too near the house,i got on the roof tied a rope as high as i could get it.My mate cut while i pulled,infact it just fell on it's own,i just guided it away from the house.Didn't even cut a V,just cut from the back straight threw with the chainsaw.No worries.

We did several around our place; ladder to tie rope as high as possible, tied that to bullbar of landcruiser and tensioned slightly then chop through with chainsaw from behind. If you're in a position where they may cause damage to someone else's property get a pro in as you won't have liability insurance if something goes wrong.

• 4 months later...
Guest Longdog

Palm trees only have a root ball, so unless its right next to the fence dont worry about root damage. If it must go chop it down with a chain saw into manageable chunks as they are full of water and very heavy then hire a stump grinder to grind the stump out.

Guest GeorgeD

The guys across the road from us cut down some trees a few days ago...and I came home to see cranes and cherry pickers, etc trying to get the tree out of their house after it fell on it! It has damaged about a quarter of their roof and at least one room and their raised deck area are destroyed. If they are anywhere near buildings (especially someone esle's) I'd get someone with the proper insurance in. My boss used to work with a tree cutting company. He said he probably did about 100 jobs with them. and they only fell on 4 houses....1 in 25! To be fair, two of the houses were with the same tree apparently...

I would call in a professional Nick, its probably safer. Why would you want to get rid of your palms though, I love palms...we have quite a few but Western power keep telling us to cut them back.....

I want a date palm for my back garden

Neighbours called in so called professionals they got the palm down ok along with the brick fence. Happened months ago and the pros are not wanting to pay....

Guest littlesarah
Neighbours called in so called professionals they got the palm down ok along with the brick fence. Happened months ago and the pros are not wanting to pay....

My husband works with a number of arborists, all of whom are licensed and experienced, and all are very busy. They charge a lot because hanging from a tree with a chainsaw in your hand is inherently dangerous (and the protective gear they wear is very expensive), their insurance costs a lot and so does their equipment. Add to that the costs of crane hire (where necessary), staff, and the fact that the nature of the work makes it difficult to climb for 40 years, and you can see why it costs what it does.

Trouble is, there are a lot of cowboys around, who are not properly licensed - the ones who knock on the door and tell you your trees need to come down. They're the sort who don't have proper insurance (because they're not properly qualified).

Talking to our arborist friends, they do as much as they possibly can to minimise the risk of property damage, and quite often use offsiders with ropes or a crane as a fallback to prevent property damage.

Back to the OP's post - it's possible to pull out palms with a crane, apparently. Though probably only works in some circumstances and with the right equipment! Be fun to watch, I reckon!

Archived