Has anyone else felt like this???

JoandGareth

Hello,

We have our PR visa and have planned to make the move to Perth in Jan 2013. My husband is being more positive than me but I keep getting really worried about the whole move and keep wondering are we doing the right thing. I am just so scared. We already have one child she will be 4 and we have planned to have 2ndin oz. has anyone else had a baby over there and how would you compare your experience from that to the uk??

Also would be really nice to chat to other families who are going through the same emotional roller coaster.

Jo x

Guest AKA63029

Hi Jo.

LOADS of peeps have felt the same, me included, I can assure you that your not the only one.

Peeps will be along soon to help you out matey.:wubclub:

Cheers Tony.

Guest jcowen

hello i am new to this site my husband has a interview on 14 march for auz not sure which area we want to go he fixes heavy plant machinery so we need to decide our preffered location i am really nervous and not sure what to do my husband is 100% i am about 60/70% i have family in perth but still yea really worried so you are not on your own we have 3 children if this will be a better way of life for them then yes i need to be getting more focused on those good points but still not to sure

Although we have now been here a few years i still recall feeling scared as the time to leave crept up on me. I really struggled with the goodbyes and i wouldnt consider myself or my family to be 'over close' but it was hard. I dont think you can escape it, i think its quite normal to worry when your making such a life changing move.

Good Luck with everything

Cal x

Morning Jo,

I feel the same way as you and we are only at the beginning, my DH is so positive about it all but I am 50/50 we have 2 girls 8 & 4, my only concern is that we won't settle and will have to come back to the UK. The upheaveal for them would be enormous, my eldest I am not to worried about as she is quite social, but my youngest is timmid and shy so I worry terribly for her... I am not planning on any more children so I can't help you there, but I just wanted to wish you good luck and I hope it all works for you.

Guest jcowen

we are really struggling with which location we want to go the west or the east and which areas within them we had a skype interview yesterday and we have to be quite strong on which locations for time of interview 14 march any help with info about locations would be great thanks jo from manchester x

we are really struggling with which location we want to go the west or the east and which areas within them we had a skype interview yesterday and we have to be quite strong on which locations for time of interview 14 march any help with info about locations would be great thanks jo from manchester x

jo

What job do you do ? we have just been here in Queensland for 3 weeks and so far so good....some people have to go where ever the demand is for jobs...ps- we have moved from North Manchester !!! lovin the sun !!! not missin the rain !!!

hello i am new to this site my husband has a interview on 14 march for auz not sure which area we want to go he fixes heavy plant machinery so we need to decide our preffered location i am really nervous and not sure what to do my husband is 100% i am about 60/70% i have family in perth but still yea really worried so you are not on your own we have 3 children if this will be a better way of life for them then yes i need to be getting more focused on those good points but still not to sure

Jo- Hi again, just seen this post about your hubbys job.....we live in Gladstone, Queensland and it maybe worth considering Gladstone as it is very industrial and there is a lot of he's kind of work around here.....We live in Tannum sands ( which is a 20 min drive out of Gladstone) and it is lovely being close to the beach....and our 6 yr old son is lovng it all and me too !!! we have no regrets and are so gald we made the move...if you need any help just private message me on here...x

Do you mean west or east in Perth or the whole of Australia? I am guessing the interview was for a job in WA? If you can provide more details i might be able to help.

Guest brucie
Hello,

We have our PR visa and have planned to make the move to Perth in Jan 2013. My husband is being more positive than me but I keep getting really worried about the whole move and keep wondering are we doing the right thing. I am just so scared. We already have one child she will be 4 and we have planned to have 2ndin oz. has anyone else had a baby over there and how would you compare your experience from that to the uk??

Also would be really nice to chat to other families who are going through the same emotional roller coaster.

Jo x

Hi Joe, my O/H had our two kids here, the lead up was fine, come the day fine, docters and nurses were great, the hospital was clean as, I was at the birth for both the children and I got good support first time round so thats my take on the baby thing as for "doing the right thing" coming here! well! ppl go on hols and enjoy were they've been, another couple will go to the same place, same month stay in the same hotel, don't do anything or go anywere and then go home saying they hated it and some will say that place sounds really great oh! should we? should'nt we? then it'll well we feel more at home when we go to Pontins remember last year dear? when we met so & so? and the year before that when we met bla! bla! bla! etc...there are heeps of ppl who can never have the chance so I say go for it and good luck Jo.

Thank you all so much for your replies they are really helpful and it is good to know we are not alone I just get so worried about making friends as we have a great circle of friends here and i know it takes time to form friendships. We are just wondering whether to book flights now as we leave in jan I know flights are expensive then. I think once flights are booked it all is becoming very real.

I am leaving for Brisbane tomorrow, and between you, me and the gate post, I am scared to death. My OH has been out there since early Feb working, he says it is OK, but he has realised how difficult it is to find a decent property to rent, and this really bothers me.

I have a feeling that the town where he is working is very Hill Billy, I hope I am wrong as I love cities and large towns, I love being able to go to the shops and buy what I want, having lived in Spain I forgot how good the shops in the UK are.

I think it is natural for us all to feel a bit sceptical, but if we don't try these things we will never know, most people never return to the UK, and I hope that we all settle and never feel the need to return back to the damp, the cold and the rain, not to mention the bad economy .........

Good luck with your plans

Guest brucie

Hi Jcowen,

if your O/H fixes heavy plant machinery the mine companies are crying out for them and in Perth too, I would check the web for these jobs and get your family to give you both some feedback on travel etc... then your close-ish to your family and O/H is close to work and his$$ looks good too and it can be a lot better way of life

Guest brucie
j

What job do you do ? we have just been here in Queensland for 3 weeks and so far so good....some people have to go where ever the demand is for jobs...ps- we have moved from North Manchester !!! lovin the sun !!! not missin the rain !!!

Hi Millers,

Coming from n/ manctown just wondering if you packed all this blumin rain with you ;-) welcome to Queensland and what job do you do?

Guest brucie
I am leaving for Brisbane tomorrow, and between you, me and the gate post, I am scared to death. My OH has been out there since early Feb working, he says it is OK, but he has realised how difficult it is to find a decent property to rent, and this really bothers me.

I have a feeling that the town where he is working is very Hill Billy, I hope I am wrong as I love cities and large towns, I love being able to go to the shops and buy what I want, having lived in Spain I forgot how good the shops in the UK are.

I think it is natural for us all to feel a bit sceptical, but if we don't try these things we will never know, most people never return to the UK, and I hope that we all settle and never feel the need to return back to the damp, the cold and the rain, not to mention the bad economy .........

Good luck with your plans

Dont worry Love shoes,

you'll be right, its not that hillbilly, were in Brizzie is your hubbie talking about? and if you dont see this before you land,

'WELCOME TO BRISBANE LOVE SHOES' dont worry be happy.

My hubby, myself & our 5month od son are moving to Perth in May. We have just sold our house so things are now becoming more real. We have both been really positive about the move all the way along, but I must admit I have had a few niggles - nothing like not wanting to go, but just worried I will be homesick or miss people more than I think I will. I think the key is to talk about it, to anyone - friends, family etc... The world is a lot smaller than it used to be so communication via skype etc is easy enough to stay in touch with people. I'm scared of having to come back to the UK as I really don't want to be here, but my hubby says he will do absolutely anything not to come back here! So I guess we have to put all our efforts into making our new life in Perth everything we want it to be. As for having more children, I had a terrible time here in the UK (emergancy C section, followed by blood transfusion then an infection from the C section and being on the "big gun" antibiotics in hospital) so anywhere else in the world would probably be better! lol Seriously though, I have only heard good things about maternity units in Oz and with so many skilled people emigrating the care will probably be exceptional.

We have made contacts on here too to meet up when we get out to Perth which will really help us settle in. We are quite sociable people anyway so will hopefully make friends quickly, but its good to start this process before arriving in a new country.

All the very best. Just give it a go, if it doesn't work out then it wasn't meant to be but if you don't try you'll never know!

Guest jcowen

Hi all over Australia hitatchi are based all over and for interview we have to have preferred location

Hi Millers,

Coming from n/ manctown just wondering if you packed all this blumin rain with you ;-) welcome to Queensland and what job do you do?

Ha ha lol- we are in Gladstone and my hubby has being sponsored on a 457 with Bunnings !!! so far so good 4 weeks in !;)

You are definitely not alone JoandGareth, we feel exactly the same. I think it is natural to feel a bit apprehensive, no matter how much you want the stamp in your passport. It's a big step and takes a lot of decision making, research and planning and that is without the enormity of the paperwork involved if you are going on a permanent visa. We are both 100% geared up for the challenges ahead, but of course we are apprehensive about what life will really be like once we are there. Which suburb is best for our needs, finding work and making new friends and of course the all important missing loved ones back in the UK. TBH, you cannot answer any of these questions until you are there and living it. My real fear is how I will feel not seeing my parents for an extended period of time as I feel everything else we can overcome together. I think saying goodbye to loved ones has to be the hardest thing.

You are definitely not alone JoandGareth, we feel exactly the same. I think it is natural to feel a bit apprehensive, no matter how much you want the stamp in your passport. It's a big step and takes a lot of decision making, research and planning and that is without the enormity of the paperwork involved if you are going on a permanent visa. We are both 100% geared up for the challenges ahead, but of course we are apprehensive about what life will really be like once we are there. Which suburb is best for our needs, finding work and making new friends and of course the all important missing loved ones back in the UK. TBH, you cannot answer any of these questions until you are there and living it. My real fear is how I will feel not seeing my parents for an extended period of time as I feel everything else we can overcome together. I think saying goodbye to loved ones has to be the hardest thing.

I agree completely we have been through stress and the apprehension of the visa process. The hardest thing will be saying goodbye to parents and grand parents which I don't think you can prepare yourself for. I know my heart it's the best move for my family but it also breaks my heart to leave loved ones and close friends behind. Good luck with your plans xx

I agree completely we have been through stress and the apprehension of the visa process. The hardest thing will be saying goodbye to parents and grand parents which I don't think you can prepare yourself for. I know my heart it's the best move for my family but it also breaks my heart to leave loved ones and close friends behind. Good luck with your plans xx

Wishing you the best of luck JoandGareth with the "Rollercoaster" ride and your new adventure down under

Archived