Who manages to return to the UK annually?

Wiganlad

We have been here 18 months - my parents came over for a month after 10 months, and my OH went back for a couple of weeks after 14 months. The only thing stopping me going back sooner is inability to take the time off work.

I don't really miss home but I am planning for us to go back in June for three weeks for work/holiday.

Me and Mrs used to Sunday lunch in Formby when when we were first going out. Can't remember the pub's name, Terry Duckworth used to drink in there!!

There are a couple of nice pubs here, the Cross House, Freshfield and the Grapes. Not sure where Terry Duckworth used to drink though!!

Are you from Merseyside?

For those of you who are saying finances is a major reason for not returning and in particular the cost of flights....get yourself a great travel agent!!!!

They know when the best time of year to book is and when the cheapest time to travel will be. Plan in advance and then plan a little further in advance. The fares are ALWAYS cheaper if you book and pay well in advance of travel.

There are the traditional "earlybird" booking seasons and this can save you hundreds or dollars is you can book during this period and travel in the cheaper seasons.

Anyway as I said find yourself a great travel agent and ask their advice, they are professionals, you wouldn't try to give yourself a tooth filling or diagnose and illness over the internet....

Guest lukebrice

I'm thinking about moving with my young family. This is probably the biggest factor in it.

My Dad moved to the UK from Geraldton (300m north of Perth) in 1986. I was born in 1987 here, we spent a year there in 2002 and I've only been back once after that for a short holiday. It's this lack of visiting on our part that worries me. In my mind I would like to think that I would come back every other year, but when I think about it, it doesn't really make sense to u sticks and leave a place only to spend thousands on a holiday back to the very place you wanted to get out of. Anyone else face this sort of dilemma?

Luke

For those of you who are saying finances is a major reason for not returning and in particular the cost of flights....get yourself a great travel agent!!!!

They know when the best time of year to book is and when the cheapest time to travel will be.

Well I wouldn't go any other time than July or August so I imagine they'll be the most expensive.

I'm thinking about moving with my young family. This is probably the biggest factor in it.

My Dad moved to the UK from Geraldton (300m north of Perth) in 1986. I was born in 1987 here, we spent a year there in 2002 and I've only been back once after that for a short holiday. It's this lack of visiting on our part that worries me. In my mind I would like to think that I would come back every other year, but when I think about it, it doesn't really make sense to u sticks and leave a place only to spend thousands on a holiday back to the very place you wanted to get out of. Anyone else face this sort of dilemma?

Luke

Not everyone that leaves wants to get out of the UK, some have very good reasons and not just here in Australia but anywhere else I have lived I have still wanted to go home, after all that's why it's called home/homeland call it what you will, I bet there's lot's out there that would go back if things were different and if they had finances back in the UK? for some the decision was made and there is no turning back, for me I am one of the lucky ones, I get to have a slice of the cake and eat it, I never really wanted a visa just the ability to be with my partner.

I think it is doable. We were there for 2 years and in that time we did loads. We had friends out in xmas 2010 which was a year after we landed, then in Oct 2010 my family booked their flights to come out Aug 2011 and after that it was literally a countdown to them coming, it flew by and there was satisfaction in knowing they were only months away. Our plan was to then come home for xmas 2012 and the thought was that once we booked flights (shortly after waving goodbye) the process would start again. We unfortunately made an impulsive decision and returned home this xmas and are now planning our return!

Anyway our original plan was that every 2 years we would come home fore xmas and every 2 years either my family of HB's family would come so it would never really be more that a year - 18 months before seeing them again! That also shares the cost of travel and gives everyone plenty of time to save! I think if you can plan the next few trips it certainly makes it easier!

I also found taking holiday was easy. I fyou are lucky enough to work Mon to Fri you can just extend the PH's, eg take fri a/l and have a long weekend, Easter is also good as it's about 5 days! In th 2 years we were there we managed to have 4 weeks off xmas 2010 and then a further 4 weeks in Aug 2011 when family came, we also holidayed in Tasmania, Sydney twice, Adelaide, Cairnes and Noosa. We lived in Melbourne so took weekends as an opportunity to go away and see Victoria. We also used the 4 weeks we had off when we had visitors to show them some of the country so included some of those destinations in that!

I think it is certainly doable you just need to plan and save! Work out how you can get the best for you a/l! Hope that helps!?

You really don't have a good agent then!! what do you call expensive and how much would you pay to go to Fiji or Bali or any other holiday for that matter?

A few prices for Bali below. I'd call any flight back to the UK expensive and then you need to be able to get around so probably car hire on top of that. I know when we went back on holiday we had to take a loan against our mortgage to get the 4 of us over there and we are still paying it back now.

Enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would though but felt I needed a holiday when I got back. If we went again I'd definitely book a week somewhere nice on the way back to relax. My son went this year with his girlfriend and had in week in Mauritius on the way back. At least you feel like you've had a holiday then and not just spent weeks travelling round visiting.

[TABLE]

[TR]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=colspan: 4][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]21518.jpg[/TD]

[TD]Bali - Wina Holiday Villa star3.gif

Special Bali Offer - Free Massage or Rafting

Includes: 5 Nights, Breakfast Daily, Return Transfers

Valid: 06Jan2012-31Mar2012

[/TD]

[TD=align: center]A$167

Price is PER PERSON based on 2 adults

[/TD]

[TD=align: center]button_details.gif[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]21568.jpg[/TD]

[TD]Bali - Melasti Beach Bungalows & Spa star25.gif

FREE Night + FREE Massage or Rafting

Includes: 7 Nights, Transfers, Breakfast, Bonus Offer

[/TD]

[TD=align: center]A$188

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]21493.jpg[/TD]

[TD]Bali - Melasti Beach Resort & Spa star3.gif

Includes: 5 Nights, Transfers, Breakfast, Bonus Offer

[/TD]

[TD=align: center]A$189

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]21717.jpg[/TD]

[TD]Bali - Risata Bali Resort & Spa star4.gif

[/TD]

[TD=align: center]A$242

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]21467.jpg[/TD]

[TD]Bali - The Haven Seminyak star4.gif

[/TD]

[TD=align: center]A$304

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

A few prices for Bali below. I'd call any flight back to the UK expensive and then you need to be able to get around so probably car hire on top of that. I know when we went back on holiday we had to take a loan against our mortgage to get the 4 of us over there and we are still paying it back now.

Enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would though but felt I needed a holiday when I got back. If we went again I'd definitely book a week somewhere nice on the way back to relax. My son went this year with his girlfriend and had in week in Mauritius on the way back. At least you feel like you've had a holiday then and not just spent weeks travelling round visiting.

[TABLE]

[TR]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]21518.jpg[/TD]

[TD]Bali - Wina Holiday Villa star3.gif

Valid: 06Jan2012-31Mar2012[/TD]

[TD=align: center]A$167

Price is PER PERSON based on 2 adults[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]21568.jpg[/TD]

[TD]Bali - Melasti Beach Bungalows & Spa star25.gif

FREE Night + FREE Massage or Rafting

Includes: 7 Nights, Transfers, Breakfast, Bonus Offer

[TD=align: center]A$188

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]21493.jpg[/TD]

[TD]Bali - Melasti Beach Resort & Spa star3.gif

[TD=align: center]A$189

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]21717.jpg[/TD]

[TD]Bali - Risata Bali Resort & Spa star4.gif

[TD=align: center]A$242

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]21467.jpg[/TD]

[TD]Bali - The Haven Seminyak star4.gif

[TD=align: center]A$304

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

And your point being??? Other than The Haven the other properties/resorts listed are all crappy 2-3 star properties. And The Haven is AUD304.00 PER PERSON for 5 nights and these are accommodation only prices and are per person ...no flights. We can get 6 weeks accommodation in a fully self-contained new 3 bedroom cottage in the UK for AUD2200 for 3 people and 2 weeks for AUD810.00 for 3 people in a gorgeous location!!

Yes once you are there you can stay in a budget hotel for 5 nights and get Bali belly, but these prices do not include flights. From Perth the airfares are more reasonable than from the East Coast. From Sydney or Brisbane return to Bali you're looking at between approximately $600 - $700 per person with Jetstar or Virgin with no meals, drink , entertainment etc. Then once you're there you've got shopping, meals, sightseeing costs etc.

It depends on what sort of holiday/break/trip you want.....it's not a competition. All I'm saying is if you want it badly enough you find a way of returning to the UK as often as you want or as little as you want. If you don't WANT to go back that's fine but don't use the expense as a reason....

How much did you spend on Christmas??

If you budget and plan you can achieve what you desire and for me that's returning to the UK every 3 months and I'll make sacrifices in my everyday life to achieve this, but this is me and that's my choice. Just like going to Bali is yours.

I do however agree that a stopover is nice however it costs $$$ dollars...dollars that you could put towards car hire etc in the UK. So as I said before it all depends on your priorities.

Flights to the UK start from around $1400 return...so about double the price of a flight to Bali but keep in mind its a 24 hour flight as opposed to a 6 hour flight...hmmm which is better value??

It you can earn it you can't take it with you. Its not about the stuff you have, which is where some people go wrong. You can't take it with you.

For those that can't remember what blighty is all about, a must watch...

And your point being??? Other than The Haven the other properties/resorts listed are all crappy 2-3 star properties. And The Haven is AUD304.00 PER PERSON for 5 nights and these are accommodation only prices and are per person ...no flights. We can get 6 weeks accommodation in a fully self-contained new 3 bedroom cottage in the UK for AUD2200 for 3 people and 2 weeks for AUD810.00 for 3 people in a gorgeous location!!

Yes once you are there you can stay in a budget hotel for 5 nights and get Bali belly, but these prices do not include flights. From Perth the airfares are more reasonable than from the East Coast. From Sydney or Brisbane return to Bali you're looking at between approximately $600 - $700 per person with Jetstar or Virgin with no meals, drink , entertainment etc. Then once you're there you've got shopping, meals, sightseeing costs etc.

It depends on what sort of holiday/break/trip you want.....it's not a competition. All I'm saying is if you want it badly enough you find a way of returning to the UK as often as you want or as little as you want. If you don't WANT to go back that's fine but don't use the expense as a reason....

If you budget and plan you can achieve what you desire and for me that's returning to the UK every 3 months and I'll make sacrifices in my everyday life to achieve this, but this is me and that's my choice. Just like going to Bali is yours.

I do however agree that a stopover is nice however it costs $$$ dollars...dollars that you could put towards car hire etc in the UK. So as I said before it all depends on your priorities.

Flights to the UK start from around $1400 return...so about double the price of a flight to Bali but keep in mind its a 24 hour flight as opposed to a 6 hour flight...hmmm which is better value??

It you can earn it you can't take it with you. Its not about the stuff you have, which is where some people go wrong. You can't take it with you.

Point really was to point out how expensive it is by comparison. Just paying to get to the UK would get you a weeks holiday with flights in Bali. As it happens we've never been to Bali ourselves but had friends say it's cheaper to go for a week in Bali than have a week in Rottnest (Rottnest is a rip off mind you). Me, I'm more than happy to stay at home when we have holidays as everything I like to do is close by. I only know that the month we had in the UK about 7 years ago we are still paying for.

Guest telling it like it is

I'm off to Bali next month for a week, it cost $2400 all up for flights and hotel for a family of 4. I'd have to pay double that just for the flights back to the UK.

• 2 weeks later...
And your point being??? Other than The Haven the other properties/resorts listed are all crappy 2-3 star properties. And The Haven is AUD304.00 PER PERSON for 5 nights and these are accommodation only prices and are per person ...no flights. We can get 6 weeks accommodation in a fully self-contained new 3 bedroom cottage in the UK for AUD2200 for 3 people and 2 weeks for AUD810.00 for 3 people in a gorgeous location!!<snip>

All I'm saying is if you want it badly enough you find a way of returning to the UK as often as you want or as little as you want. If you don't WANT to go back that's fine but don't use the expense as a reason....

If you budget and plan you can achieve what you desire and for me that's returning to the UK every 3 months and I'll make sacrifices in my everyday life to achieve this, but this is me and that's my choice.

Aside from the cost of the flight, there are few that could afford the time off from work to make the journey every three months - especially if you're planning on a six week visit each time around. The realities of life get in the way of ideals and needs replace wants. It lacks empathy to suggest that everyone has it in their power to make sacrafices to get everything they want - it just isn't true.

Best place on the planet ......all the best to you black country .....black country people friendliest in the UK .....and thats from a Brummie ....round your way a lot .....coseley ....sedgeley ....wolves ....west brom .....out to kinver ....stourton ...telford ....best thing about the place is the people .....nd the countryside once you are in the sticks

Archived