2 weeks in and loving it!!!

gazsmith

Well we arrived 2 weeks ago nearly now and everything is coming together brilliantly. House viewings galore and not sure how but we got the house we wanted which was no mean feat as the amount of people chasing the rental properties in WA is unreal, upto 40/50 people turn up hoping to get them, agent said we were extremely lucky to get one so quickly!Start work Monday, not doing what I want but it brings in dollars until the right one comes along!If anyone wants advice or wants anything checked out drop me a line. Back to the beer by the pool I'm afraidTake care for now(will start my blog next week if it helps anyone)Gary & Sue

Guest The Pom Queen

Lovely to hear you have settled in and managed to secure a house and a job so quickly, that will be a huge weight off your mind.

Look forward to more updates and photos :wink:

Congrats, sounds great!

A few questions if I may:

Jobs, did you get it there or arrange it before you went? I know its not the ideal job, but most important its dollars coming in.

Any tips on getting that property with so many people going for it - is there anything you offered to secure it - do you have to pay 6 months in advance for example?

Cheers

Congrats, sounds great!

A few questions if I may:

Jobs, did you get it there or arrange it before you went? I know its not the ideal job, but most important its dollars coming in.

Any tips on getting that property with so many people going for it - is there anything you offered to secure it - do you have to pay 6 months in advance for example?

Cheers

Hi Jamjar,

This trip was initially just to validate the visa but I made the decision 4 weeks before we went that I was staying for good, totally unplanned and in the deep end, the only lead I had was a friend I grew up with who works for hays recruitment.

We hadn't even converted all our cash in to ozzy dollars as sue is returning to the uk for 4 weeks to sort the loose ends out!

We was amazed at the amount of people turning up to viewings and it was overwhelming, we thought and was told we could be doing this for 3months! We feel so lucky as we applied for 7 properties and got the one we really wanted.

We had opened a NAB account the day we got here and stuffed 5k into it (had the cards sent to branch) and got statement as evidence.

We also had references from our uk landlord but these proved useless as they wanted Australian refs, my mate gave one and the owner of holiday rental was great and said he would vouch for us as decent and good payers, we also offered 6 wks rent along with the bond, I would also suggest obtaining your visa label in your passport as they will ask to see it.

Is easy to write but it's hard work and you have to constantly view properties as there is no guarantee you will get the best, also if you deal with one real estate constantly talk to the agents show them your interest as it goes a long way as they are the people who contact the owners with who they think is best suited to the property.

Above all keep up the enthusiasm etc we think by being friendly and courteous helped a lot as well as on our last viewing the agent told us to stop looking as we are going to be okay!

next day we were paying the holding deposit!!!!!

We paid 1 weeks rent to hold with months bond plus additional 5weeks rent when we collect the keys.

Gary & Sue

Hi Gary and Sue,

Glad to hear you're settling, although it will probably feel that your feet haven't touched the ground. Great news about the rental and it will be great for Sue to come back knowing what your new home is like.

Ali

Hi Gaz & Sue, Sounds like you have settled in well, which suburb did you decide on? Any info on brickies jobs would be useful so I can get OH out to work. lol Sharon

Hi Sharon & Alan,

Have settled by the beach in Rockingham has everything we need,

Tell Alan to get over so we can gang up, looking at some of the work here we will make a killing!

Only problem with brickies here is that there is no secure jobs, it's just like the uk in the fact of chasing the work but near to Rockingham there is a huge site ongoing which is going to be hundreds of houses being built, I can't lay bricks until I have an ABN which just the same as the UK's self employed tax code, I'm working on this and will keep you informed.

Workman ship looks quite poor so it seems if your good you won't be out of work once established!

Speak soon

gary

Archived