IELTS reading any tips?

mapster

The agent said we are 5 short for the 475 need to get Partners skilled assessed at a cost of $3000 with going through the agent!! And takes 3-4 months....I wanted to get in before the changes happen in July..

Mapster

Don't give up on your dream.

$3000 is a huge amount of money compared to say another 4 goes at the IELTS. You are so close on this. it is down to the luck on the day. I would give it a last hurrah and book consecutive tests. You will get an all 8 hit on one of them.

Millie x

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mapster

Don't give up on your dream.

$3000 is a huge amount of money compared to say another 4 goes at the IELTS. You are so close on this. it is down to the luck on the day. I would give it a last hurrah and book consecutive tests. You will get an all 8 hit on one of them.

Millie x

Think you might be right Millie xxx

although i got a 7 in writing and speaking, i managed a 9 in reading and frankly speaking, i have no idea how i did it.

but i did remember doing the following:

1] blank out your mind

2] there were distractions out the window which i conveniently ignored.

3] skim through everything and then focus on the question <- this helps me alot and i finished the reading portion of the test in half the allocated time.

4] i avoided changing answers after completing the reading test. sat doing nothing for half the time.

Gutted....I really thought I had cracked it BUT YET AGAIN 7.5 for the reading:mad:

So so Sorry Mapster. I know you had a rough day what with one thing and another, but don't give up. I will ask OH what he did with the reading and see if there is any advice that he can give to help. Would you think about giving it another go? That 0.5 could have been down to the farse at the chaotic test centre and the fact that you had been ill. Is there another test centre near you?

I really feel for you. The test is an absolute killer.

We are hoping to get a 475 as we are 5 points short for a 176. You not only have to live in a regional area, but you have to work there as well, which is a different kettle of fish.

Well, you can always take it again. It's just a matter of time when you'll score all 8's - like everyone else here who had to take it several times including myself. Or have you tried looking at the 475 visa? I find no difference between that visa and the 176, really - except living in a regional area, which may not be that bad if you're able to live in it but commute into the city.

Right time to get studying!!!! I need to get a good book to help me pass the reading section of the ILETS test! Acedemic training and need to get a 7.0 at least! Can any one give me any advice on what book to get that has been useful to you? Last time for taking it and need to pass, soooo want to go to Australia.

Hi People i have just sat my IELTS and got an overall score of 8. but i only got a 6 on my Reading section. this is one i keep struggling at. :( any advice. ps this is the general test.

the reading is a problem, when we read novels we imagine various things happening...reading between the lines! IELTs rubbishes that theory. The questions are about the text you read and not what you don't read if that makes sense. The T F NG are probably the trickiest. If the text doesn't mention the question NG should be your answer, don't imagine. Sometimes for eg...it might ask about children and a stuation but the text states adults in that situation, this would be F. Trick questions if you ask me and when trying to speed read and the extra pressure of getting the score we need makes us miss things! Read the questions thoroughly, mark the questions you are unsure of and go back to them at the end of a section so you don't have to familiarise yourself with the text again. If you find yourself with time to kill at the end...check everything! use all of your time...

Thanks Heather Law

My big problem with the reading test is the matching the paragraphs with the titles. I really need to crack on with learning it. One problem is the lack of ielts practice papers from ielts.org there's like only 4 test once I have done them its impossible.

:( not good totally gutted. Next test booked at Glasgow Uni 18/02/12.

Thanks Heather Law

My big problem with the reading test is the matching the paragraphs with the titles. I really need to crack on with learning it. One problem is the lack of ielts practice papers from ielts.org there's like only 4 test once I have done them its impossible.

:( not good totally gutted. Next test booked at Glasgow Uni 18/02/12.

Pm me your email address I have lots of practice papers I can forward you. xxx

This book was amazing for writting tips:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/IELTS-Advantage-Writing-Richard-Brown/dp/1905085621/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1314691806&sr=8-1

I got an 8 each time in the writting section after buying this!! Worth the money.....Just need a book for the reading now................................................................

• 2 weeks later...
I second that Mapster...it took me 4 attempts!

Hope its 5th time lucky for me!! Just been doing a reading paper.......

Not going to look at any other section until week before the test as I have got the 8's the past 2 tests....

Just passed on the test papers to another person.

Just PM if anyone needs to do test papers I have a few!!

Thanks to Heather and the internet!! :biggrin:

Guest kianobeano
Just done my 4th ielts today ,the 13 day wait begins

If u dont mind me asking ade , what have your scores been ? my oh had his today too !

Guest kianobeano

ok, just realised going back here some of you need 8 all accross to get 10pts.

Our agent told me oh needs 7 accross eachone to get 10pts ....what is the reality ??

thanks

jen x x:confused:

Archived