tension headaches

whichway

Get rid of whatever's causing the tension. If it's "deep-rooted" (subconscious) then CBT can help. for me it's meds (Mirtazapine/avanza)[/quote

Been on the sertraline for a wee while now, and feeling a lot better, certainly has lessened the length and intensity of the headaches and I am so over counselling, I had CBT for a while. I wish I knew the cause of the headaches. BP is good as gold. BUt maybe I will check it next time I have one. Eyes or nothing else is affected just my head, the band like feeling, dim lights do nothing, I hate going to the Dr anyway but with this I just feel totally hypochondrical! I am doing yoga, I am hoping it will ease everything:skeptical:

Guest Shelduck
Anyone got any tips on how to deal with them?

Thanks in advance.

hi ww, i have a fair idea of the cause- because i have been suffering with them too aswell as losing hair, and coming out in scaly blotches! nice aye? i think its down to the stress of the big move. we sound like we are making the move around the same time (hopefully) so i do sympathise. i've been going down the red wine route to combat my headaches- purely medicinal of course! lol. in all seriousness, hope you feel better soon xx

I go to an excellent chiropractor who has sorted out my headaches. It is not all about manipulation so don't panic, in fact mine hardly ever cracks my neck or back she just sorts out the problem muscles........

Might also be worth getting your eye sight checked, a few years ago I had a serious problem diagnosed by my optician and my only symptom was headaches.

Good luck, I know they can get you down.

Guest Prodigy71

Hi ww,

Have you thought about Sports Massage? I'm a qualified therapist and part of what we do is a full assessment be it posture, what you do at work/home etc....which could be related to those headaches. We would then carry out a treatment and give you some aftercare advice...maybe worth checking out if you haven't already....good luck!

Darren :biggrin:

Tension headaches are so hard to shift. They say that there are some pressure points between your thumb and first finger and if you get someone who knows that they are doing, they can work on those pressure points to help relieve headaches.

Love

Rudi

x

Guest guest17301

I suffer with tension headaches on busy days at work. The only way I get rid of it is to come home and relax, goes off quickly. If I have to carry on working or its early in the day, 2 ibuprofen (nurofen) do the trick.

I wouldnt be taking mirtazepine for headaches/tension Kev, its more for insomnia/low mood isnt it? I think its a useful drug, I recommend it a lot, are you on 15 or 30mg? A short acting benzodiazepine such as lorazepam may suit you better used prn, though for a depressive illness I realise mirtazepine is a good choice.

I used to get such bad headaches for years and found out its the Orange juice I was drinking I still get headache but not as painful or frequent so it could be something your eating or drinking /OJ / chocolate / cheese / coffee are all commonly overlooked also eyesight can be a factor as has already been said but some people don't realise how bad theirs are until its checked

I suffer with tension headaches on busy days at work. The only way I get rid of it is to come home and relax, goes off quickly. If I have to carry on working or its early in the day, 2 ibuprofen (nurofen) do the trick.

I wouldnt be taking mirtazepine for headaches/tension Kev, its more for insomnia/low mood isnt it? I think its a useful drug, I recommend it a lot, are you on 15 or 30mg? A short acting benzodiazepine such as lorazepam may suit you better used prn, though for a depressive illness I realise mirtazepine is a good choice.

I'm on 30gm which I take an hour before bedtime. Didn't explain myself well enough Fiona. I used to have an almost permanent "tightening" round my forehead brought on I think, by frowning when always in thought. Also, as you say, had trouble sleeping due to "thought loops". One little incident in a day could trigger a round of bedtime thinking that simply had me going round in circles with my thoughts which were aften nothing at all to do with the original thought.................or so I thought :biglaugh: I dreaded going to bed as I knew I would lie there for hours thinking about things that I didn't want to re-visit :arghh:

CBT and, EMDR were undertaken over a period of two years. Although the EMDR revealed the "supressed" issues, it didn't teach me how to lay them to rest and the headaches got worse. I was placed on Avanza "for life" and now headaches are rare. Whether it was the EMDR that "unknotted" the trauma or the Avanza that "cooled the mood" I'm not sure, but I guess they both contribute(d) to defeating the headaches that I was plagued with.............and the bad temper.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived