Eek! Moving from Yorkshire, need recommendations on Community feel areas please ;)

Guest PaulEmmaNelson

Guest PaulEmmaNelson

G'day, this is my first ever post. My husband has just been granted his spouse visa 2.12.11, and we are now seriously considering the Big move. Dilemma is we have a great life in Yorkshire, live in a very picturesque rural market town with 3 kids and really want to waste as little time as possible trudging round Oz waiting for somewhere to grab us. We have visited Gold coast a few times and love it but not sure that's where we want to be based long term, I'm thinking is anyone out there between Brisbane and Byron living the dream? Any advice is warmly welcomed....x

Guest PaulEmmaNelson

Good... really pleased to hear there are no regrets, did it take long to settle? And where are you now, i'll have a look as best I can from over here!

Hi we are on the outskirts of Jimboomba at Flagstone Estate. If you look at rentals and homes to buy on realestate.com use postcode 4280 for your search.

Weather is a tad 'gloomy and overcast' today but still sat out in the patio in shorts and vest top as it stays warm,lol (except for July and August when its blooming freezing)lol

Cal x

• 2 weeks later...

I'm from Yorkshire too! Been here over 8 years. It's very different to Yorkshire and I haven't found the same community spirit. That doesn't mean that you won't have good friends though and be very happy here, it is just different. I think part of it is that it's common to constantly relocate here rather than live in the same area all your life as in UK.

I have been very happy here, but found it lacking the Yorkshire sense of humour and community.

G'day, this is my first ever post. My husband has just been granted his spouse visa 2.12.11, and we are now seriously considering the Big move. Dilemma is we have a great life in Yorkshire, live in a very picturesque rural market town with 3 kids and really want to waste as little time as possible trudging round Oz waiting for somewhere to grab us. We have visited Gold coast a few times and love it but not sure that's where we want to be based long term, I'm thinking is anyone out there between Brisbane and Byron living the dream? Any advice is warmly welcomed....x

[/quote ]I think if you want something picturesque in a softer kind of way like the british countryside you should maybe consider somewhere in Victoria. also you will still have the seasons and the greener outlook. I have also been through the NSW Southern Highlands where its very green and countryfide thats where they made the aussie movie "babe" the one about the pig and all the farm animals, and you can see the countryside in that is lovely.

Guest PaulEmmaNelson
We are from Yorkshire, from outside York.

If you want Yorkshire here look at Maleny in the Hinterland just back from the Sunshine Coast.

We are in Buderim and its lovely.

Its not Yorkshire but its a lovely place and we like it.

Cool thanks for the recommendation, I was a little concerned that the sunshine coast maybe a little too hot with 3 little pastey children?

Guest PaulEmmaNelson
Go where you can find work. You wont find anything like Yorkshire anywhere, it's going to be quite different across the board.

Yeh good tip but I'm not looking for another Yorkshire, i just married a yorkshireman! A bit of green is enough for me with plenty of sun too, nothing below 10 degrees would suit me fine x

Guest PaulEmmaNelson
I'm from Yorkshire too! Been here over 8 years. It's very different to Yorkshire and I haven't found the same community spirit. That doesn't mean that you won't have good friends though and be very happy here, it is just different. I think part of it is that it's common to constantly relocate here rather than live in the same area all your life as in UK.

I have been very happy here, but found it lacking the Yorkshire sense of humour and community.

Where are you?

Archived