Is it me or is Australian bacon weird?

Guest lol1984

Guest nicola c

i agree! my aussie husband who lived in london for 4 yrs doesnt understand what im talking about. we have found some great bacon at farmers markets and at costco :animal-pig::animal-pig:

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Better bacon and sausages available than anything found inU.K but you wont find them them in super

markets, in fact none of the best food is in supermarkets. Look at supermarkets as a supplier of last resort and you'll find exceptional produce

Better bacon and sausages available than anything found inU.K

A rather bold claim, don't you think?

No one can have tried them all. So it's only possible to speak in generalities

fwiw I don't mind Aussie bacon, but it's not something I eat a lot of. The range/standard of cooked meats here never fails to disappoint me. There seems to be some good stuff available in delis but there's not a lot of it and it comes in very expensive. Mass market/supermarket ham and the like is awful here IMO, and very much is bulked up with loads of water and powdered milk. I've taken to buying a raw ham from the butcher and cooking it myself, then freezing batches of slices for later use

Guest GillinOz

I would just love to just find some unsmoked bacon......but I do like the middle cut, a bit of back and streaky together!

Better bacon and sausages available than anything found inU.K but you wont find them them in super

markets, in fact none of the best food is in supermarkets. Look at supermarkets as a supplier of last resort and you'll find exceptional produce

Bit of a radical generalization I fear but the premise holds true for UK - my paleo son and husband were pleasantly astonished at the range of produce he could get from Farm Shops here in UK and they were also amazed at the comparable prices (much lower) than they were used to in ACT/NSW/Vic.

Remember Australia has more land under organic cultivation than any other country, amazing when you consider how little arable land there is.

There were some okay bacons in the UK--but comparing the basic supermarket stuff there to the basic supermarket stuff here, I'll take Australian bacon any day of the week. The white sludge given off by most UK bacon (which is injected with salt water to speed the curing and make it artifically heavier) when you fry it is revolting.

Here I can fry it nice and crispy--and what's left in the pan is proper fat I can use in cooking (like my mother did!).

• 2 months later...
Guest Aussieman

To start off UK Bacon is usually a different cut than Aussie bacon. They are also cured different. The breads that the meat comes from makes a difference. Australian meat being more organic makes a difference. Any POME that thinks Australian meat is watered, I and many others don't understand where you are getting your meat from. At the supermarket deli you will find good quality bacon, better than anything you may find in a UK supermarket that is NOT watered. A butcher is where you will find better quality bacon and also meat. Australian supermarkets DON'T water there meat like the UK. A tell tail sign that the meat has been watered in the UK is, they meat portions all weigh the same, They don't cook properly they stew when cooking due to the water content and the meat shrinks. Everyone has there own tastes. When being brought up on low quality meat you seem to get a taste for it, it is like Aussies and Veggiemite, you get a taste for it. Unless you can afford to go to the butches in the UK and pay ridiculous prices for meat you will always get poor quality meat in UK. FACT!

Guest haunted1234

hmmmmmm Bacon! my Dad just visited and loved the Aussie bacon, so it's a thumbs up from me! sausages are fine if chucked on a roll with onions and tommy sauce! :o)

havent seen black pudding here much to my 10 year olds disappointment!

To start off UK Bacon is usually a different cut than Aussie bacon. They are also cured different. The breads that the meat comes from makes a difference. Australian meat being more organic makes a difference. Any POME that thinks Australian meat is watered, I and many others don't understand where you are getting your meat from. At the supermarket deli you will find good quality bacon, better than anything you may find in a UK supermarket that is NOT watered. A butcher is where you will find better quality bacon and also meat. Australian supermarkets DON'T water there meat like the UK. A tell tail sign that the meat has been watered in the UK is, they meat portions all weigh the same, They don't cook properly they stew when cooking due to the water content and the meat shrinks. Everyone has there own tastes. When being brought up on low quality meat you seem to get a taste for it, it is like Aussies and Veggiemite, you get a taste for it. Unless you can afford to go to the butches in the UK and pay ridiculous prices for meat you will always get poor quality meat in UK. FACT!

Hi Aussieman, first up we're 'Poms' not 'POMES' (that always reminds me of the Policeman in Allo Allo).

I'm glad you have such favourable views towards Aussie bacon! Us poor 'POMES' clearly wouldn't know a decent rasher if it slapped us in the face.....

So I'm just imagining the water that came out of every single piece of australian supermarket bacon that I tried? the water content was so high that if I'd cut the bacon before frying it, some pieces used to jump out of the pan when the water came into contact with the hot oil. Luckily I found a decent butchers down the road from where I work and haven't looked back. Don't get any meat from the supermarket any more.

So I'm just imagining the water that came out of every single piece of australian supermarket bacon that I tried? the water content was so high that if I'd cut the bacon before frying it, some pieces used to jump out of the pan when the water came into contact with the hot oil. Luckily I found a decent butchers down the road from where I work and haven't looked back. Don't get any meat from the supermarket any more.

yeeeeeaaaaaaahhhhh

Either you're imagining it or you've found a rubbish supermarket that I haven't tried. Even the basic supermarket stuff at Woolworths, Coles and even IGA is nice and dry, unlike the British stuff that is injected with brine to increase the weight and speed the curing. Whenever I fry supermarket bacon, all I get left in the pan is bacon fat, no water, and if you save it, it's great for frying eggs and such.

This is totally unlike British bacon which (unless you pay through the nose) always leaves a white scum in the pan as it ejects its injected brine.

At least the bacon don't shrink like the uk , we prefer the Butchers or the loose stuff on the Deli's at Coles and Woolworths , as for the THE SAUSAGE .... try city meats at RUNAWAY BAY shopping center , they do ENGLISH PORK SAUSAGE $13.99 KILO , he had english grand father who passed down the recipe , they are the *OLLOCKS and you will not get any better .

• 2 weeks later...

Archived