BBC article "Why we quit Australia for the UK"

hevchick

Hi everyone,

Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere on PIO (had a search but couldn't find it!) but I found this article on the bbc website today:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15970341

I think it may be the article produced as part of the interview mentioned of this thread but I maybe wrong: http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/moving-back-uk/131098-bbc-interview-returning-uk.html

Anyway I thought it was an interesting read giving opinions of those that have returned from Oz and those that have stayed.

Hev x

Guest guest37336
Hi everyone,

Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere on PIO (had a search but couldn't find it!) but I found this article on the bbc website today:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15970341

I think it may be the article produced as part of the interview mentioned of this thread but I maybe wrong: http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/moving-back-uk/131098-bbc-interview-returning-uk.html

Anyway I thought it was an interesting read giving opinions of those that have returned from Oz and those that have stayed.

Hev x

Hi Hevs.

Not sure if it has been posted before, I haven't seen it, but there again me and tech go together like chalk and cheeses.:goofy:

Interesting reading nonetheless, and always good to see all sides.:cool:

Cheers Tony.

Guest sh7t man no way

i never had a sense of belonging--wuz a quote which caught my eye-i guess its the same both in the uk,and australia--do the aussies want to go back to aussies,and the poms want to go back to pom land--people forget that after the honeymoon period is over--doubts may set in as to where you really belong--to say you have only one life may ring true,and is it the life you know rather than the life you wish for:wubclub:

I think it shows that the move to Oz will not suit everyone especially if you are close to your family. Me personally I am not close to my family, I don't go to the pub, dont have weekends in europe, Hate the weather in the UK, jobs prospects are S**t, cost of living in the UK is getting more expensive, My salary has dropped to the same level I was at 6 years ago, pensions are up the spout and the economy will be poor for years to come. I certainly dont think I will want to come back, but until I get out there you never know.

Several comments I regularly hear from Poms ( I am one):

1: Missing friends and family - this is the biggest one and Facebook / Skype etc really is no substitute. But as an immigrant you need to accept that its a complete start and good friends take time to make and new networks cann take years. Its easier if you have children as you make friends through them too.

2: No culture - nonsense I have been to more concerts and shows here in one year than I did in ages in the UK - the standards are high and the Aussies are really trying hard to portray themselves as cultured these days - you get idiots and chavs everwhere who are totally ignorant.

3: No night life - ok there isn't the club scene everywhere but its in the cities!

4: Snakes, spiders, sharks - yes they are here but the population is growing each year. But you knew that before you came.

5: Unfriendly people - again no different to the UK - there are subtle differences in language and mannerisms - but I have meet so total w.......... but predominantly really nice, decent people. Unfortunately when you are new here you tend to attract those who will rip you off because "you literally stick out like a sore thumb".

6: Isolated - its a plane journey away! Expensive yes - but its not expensive to get to New Zealand and Fiji etc!

There are so many positives here and it is really developing and most importantly it has a future which the UK and Europe do not have at present. Its a better place for your kids but if you can not adapt and miss Blighty then you need to follow your heart and your happiness.

Just my observations and I am NOT judging anyone else.

Maybe the UK are trying to keep all the skilled labour in the country and have begun to realise that Australia has slowly taken a large number of taxpayers away??

I doubt it...................the loss of taxpayers is down to the loss of jobs and redundancies not migration. As for skilled labour, yes they have to keep 'em in the country becuase they need them to work longer as they haven't trained enough kids to take their place.............yes, I'm a cynic................always have been where UK government is concerned, irrespective of which party is in power.

If the truth be known, the more Poms that emigrate, the less taxpayers pennies are spent of them receiving benefits and sunsequently, the less the gov't has to worry about them showing on the unemployment figures. I'm not saying that those migrating are dole bludgers but judging from the posts on PIO, many do migrate because they fear that the benefit system is where they're likely to end up under the current economic climate............their kids as well, in the future.

I doubt it...................the loss of taxpayers is down to the loss of jobs and redundancies not migration. As for skilled labour, yes they have to keep 'em in the country becuase they need them to work longer as they haven't trained enough kids to take their place.............yes, I'm a cynic................always have been where UK government is concerned, irrespective of which party is in power.

If the truth be known, the more Poms that emigrate, the less taxpayers pennies are spent of them receiving benefits and sunsequently, the less the gov't has to worry about them showing on the unemployment figures. I'm not saying that those migrating are dole bludgers but judging from the posts on PIO, many do migrate because they fear that the benefit system is where they're likely to end up under the current economic climate............their kids as well, in the future.

Agree with a large part, except with the fact that it has saved benefit money (maybe for the future though), we only ever received child benefit from the tax man and I have a feeling that that too would be disappearing in the near future - also have a number of POM mates here who also never received a penny and would certainly refute the label of dole bludgers :frown:- between us a substantial amount of tax went into the UK system and is now going into the aussie system, which also manages on the most part to give us a bonus refund at the end of the year. Yes I am aware that the current economic climate will mean more people on the dole in the UK would increase the cost of benefits paid out and also the unemployment figures. The cost of emigrating, if paying for things yourself would make it pretty doubtful that you would be able to afford to do so on benefits on either side of the world, which could also hold back a whole bunch of people who may feel trapped.

As for the apprenticeship training and future prospects - definitely one of the main reasons we left. A better future for the kids and ourselves.....hopefully, so far so good.

Agree with a large part, except with the fact that it has saved benefit money (maybe for the future though), we only ever received child benefit from the tax man and I have a feeling that that too would be disappearing in the near future - also have a number of POM mates here who also never received a penny and would certainly refute the label of dole bludgers :frown:- between us a substantial amount of tax went into the UK system and is now going into the aussie system, which also manages on the most part to give us a bonus refund at the end of the year. Yes I am aware that the current economic climate will mean more people on the dole in the UK would increase the cost of benefits paid out and also the unemployment figures. The cost of emigrating, if paying for things yourself would make it pretty doubtful that you would be able to afford to do so on benefits on either side of the world, which could also hold back a whole bunch of people who may feel trapped.

As for the apprenticeship training and future prospects - definitely one of the main reasons we left. A better future for the kids and ourselves.....hopefully, so far so good.

The text in red is what I was driving at. There's no way that I would consider migrants to Oz to have been in any way dole bludgers in the UK. Dole bludgers in general are spineless work shy b@stards that couldn't/wouldn't face the prospect of all the hard work and financial commitment that it takes to migrate. Migrants (IMHO) are the "cream of the crop" They commit themselves to something that is extremely difficult to do, exactly the opposite of the "professional unemployed".

No, I was attemting to indicate that I don't think that the UK gov't is particularly worried about migration and the "brain drain". Increasingly, it is professionals/tradesmen that are being hit by the UK recession and their removal/migration from the UK, along with the vast mumbers of Poles etc who are leaving, serves a purpose in reducing the unemployment figures and it's consequent dole/benefits expenditure.

Maybe the future won't be so bleak - with all the Aussie kids getting apprenticeships over here the tables on migration may be turned in years to come!! I really hope the UK sorts itself out as still have lots of friends and family over there struggling and worrying about what is to come, not all of them are in the fortunate position we were in.

certainly an interestinh article, as they all are. Suppose its all really subjective and based on so many varying factors so that whats good and suitable for one family, may not be for another. Certainly keen to try though (Australia that is) :)

The UK will have a big problem in years to come if the brain drain from the UK to all areas of the worls continues as this will mean there wll be a huge shortage of skilled labour and thus costs will increase considerably, thus making costs within the UK extremely high (high wages in turn meaning housing costs get out of hand again). This will be to the benefit of the skilled labour still within the UK but will it be sustainable?

Oz on the other hand is making it harder to migrate and only the best are being accepted thus providing Oz a highly skilled labour market that can help train a growing labour to build a strong and vibrant economy for years to come (just think of the expanse of Oz and how much growth it can sustain) I hope.

I think it shows that the move to Oz will not suit everyone especially if you are close to your family. Me personally I am not close to my family, I don't go to the pub, dont have weekends in europe, Hate the weather in the UK, jobs prospects are S**t, cost of living in the UK is getting more expensive, My salary has dropped to the same level I was at 6 years ago, pensions are up the spout and the economy will be poor for years to come. I certainly dont think I will want to come back, but until I get out there you never know.

Amen to that one brother ,

Family is a big reason for many people , like u im not overly close to mine , The pub ( maybe im getting old ) bores me and id rather be out in the fresh air making use of my weekend rather than spending money i dont have , nursing a hangover in the morning and loosing yet another day of my life . Ive done the research and i WILL be better off in oz finantially , and i have no interest in europe ... Im a country bumpkin at heart , the city is to crowded and full of unfamiliar faces , Give me a small town where u can walk down the street and know everyone that you pass any day .

I may miss UK , but i honestly doubt it'll be for anything major , Decent coffee , Galaxy chocolate and my favorite biking roads , thats all the uk has for me im afraid , im sure the oz weather , ocean , surfing and associated watersports , scope for exploring and adventure , decent salary with a future career , laid back and outdoor lifestyle will be a little compensation.................

lee

The UK will have a big problem in years to come if the brain drain from the UK to all areas of the worls continues as this will mean there wll be a huge shortage of skilled labour and thus costs will increase considerably, thus making costs within the UK extremely high (high wages in turn meaning housing costs get out of hand again). This will be to the benefit of the skilled labour still within the UK but will it be sustainable?

Oz on the other hand is making it harder to migrate and only the best are being accepted thus providing Oz a highly skilled labour market that can help train a growing labour to build a strong and vibrant economy for years to come (just think of the expanse of Oz and how much growth it can sustain) I hope.

I agree again ,

The uk has a dwindling " skilled " workforce , no incentive to recruit newbys into apprecnticeships , ( i feel the youth of today have had it to easy , never getting their hands dirty and would rather sit in front of the tv / computer all day ) Im 36 FFS and my body has taken a propper beating over the years , who's going to replace me when i hang up my tool belt ??????????? the decent trade workers in the UK are leaving because of the failing economy . UK will have litterally no one left . as you mentioned OZ will have all the key trades and skills covered ,workers dedicated , educated and passionate about what they do ( weve all proven this just for going through the visa process ) I feel for the future of my beloved England , populated by the ethnic " majority " and run / built by a bunch of numptys cos anyone who actually has a little bit about themselves has jumped ship before it sinks and takes them with it .

lee

Guest iwanttomove

Im new to these forums but i agree with somethings that have been said, the market over here is shocking to say the least at the moment me and my wife feel like were in a dar k hole and will be for many many years to come. The only way out as we can see it is to migrate.

Another reason is i actually dont want my 3 year old to be brought up here, i mean what is there in the uk which is worth it.

Only my family are worth staying behind for and im going to miss them terribly and i know its going to be really really hard but as we see it, if we want a decent life the only way is to migrate

The whole article was something and nothing. Many of the quotes were from folks who'd made their money or returning due to aging family members etc. There are still a lot of folks wanting to get out of the UK thats for sure. I have been fortunate enough to have lived in a few different places and certainly lived a different life from many of my small hometown friends. I found myself coming home to a find that the place i'd left had not changed but i had. It always left me feeling like an outsider because i had broken away from that life. When you move to a new country or even just a new town you can get that feeling of being on the outside looking in. i for one am super excited about moving back to Aussie this time with my family in Jan.

Im new to these forums but i agree with somethings that have been said, the market over here is shocking to say the least at the moment me and my wife feel like were in a dar k hole and will be for many many years to come. The only way out as we can see it is to migrate.

Another reason is i actually dont want my 3 year old to be brought up here, i mean what is there in the uk which is worth it.

Only my family are worth staying behind for and im going to miss them terribly and i know its going to be really really hard but as we see it, if we want a decent life the only way is to migrate

My thoughts and situation are similar to guys good luck with it

I think the big difference between the UK and Aussies is attitude towards things - the UK media appear (from reports on here as not seen them personally) to have made a big thing of POM's returning to the UK. All I have heard from this end is a comment on the 7PM Project when they appeared more upset that the POM's didn't love Australia anymore! A two minute news story and they moved on which I have to say is the media here through and through, when we lived in the UK I was engrossed with the GFC and potential security threats that may or may not hit the UK, hearing those two phrases on a daily basis. Since moving to Australia I hardly ever watch the news and love the fact that I am ignorant to everything else going on. Life is for living, you get one chance and whilst some would say that Australia is 20 years behind the only thing I can confirm in respect to this is the fact that kids can be kids for a lot longer here. Other than that Next delivery my favourite clothes for free, we get Amazon books/dvd's and cd's delivered for free, Top Shop are opening in Melbourne soon and I have a lovely Mum in the UK who regularly tops up my supply of Bisto Gravy granules - simple life and simple needs. The only thing that would make this move perfect would be a Star Trek style teleport in the lounge so that we could have weekend family/friend visitors from the UK!!!