BEWARE - Rentals and Pets

Guest guest52672

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
its a real shame that you have to go home, really sorry to hear that. I was hoping that you might of found somewhere by now or there was maybe a member on here that could help you out if they rented out properties. its a shame x

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/moving-back-uk/124906-how-long-do-you-give-australia-2.html#post1255025 - it's not about the rental.

Hi All... thanks for the replies and I hope some of you back in the UK are more prepared then I was. My husband has a good job here, but unfortunately the ratio of NO PETS to PETS CONSIDERED is around 20:1 where we are looking. Not just the pet issue though, there is a lack of housing altogether.

Some of you talk as if I have sat back and want everything to land at my feet... believe me, I spend HOURS each day on the net, realestate.com, gumtree, rent, reiwa and I spend HOURS chasing agents. So far, it has got me no-where. Also... I can't just live anywhere... there are lots of things to consider, like travelling to work, schools, family near by etc.

I have had to leave Scooby back in the UK... He would have arrived today if it had gone to plan. The option of putting him in kennels after quarantine was not one I would consider. I was not also prepared to shell out £3000 and him arrive to no home.

So... instead we are going home... I would pick my life with my dog back in the UK over Australia any day of the week, rain or shine.

Good luck to all of you who have managed to find accommodation... I wish you well. XX

awwwww no way! are you really going home? we have 2 miniture jack russells and reading this has got me very worried about bringing them over there, where in WA are you? we will be on our own for 6 months befor the kids come over so hopefully will not be too restricted to where we have to live!

i really want to wish you the best in what you decide,i know i would be devestated to have to leave my puppies in the uk:no:

best wishes shez xxxx

Guest The Pom Queen

Unfortunately if you are already down and depressed then every little milestone you hit will seem ten times as bad. I am glad that your family have decided to head off back for your sake and I hope it all works out for you all.

Guest The Pom Queen

Can I just add something for all the members with pets who are heading to Perth, this is a very unusual situation and I have never known anyone not to find a rental before with pets. If you look at the link that Peach posted it looks like this poor member has struggled with the move over.

I just don't want you all going in to panic mode, moving is stressful enough.

Guest downunderbirds

Peach that is totally out of order what you said about putting your emotions for the dog behind you.

I am the same if i cant have my pets forget it. It is called feelings.

I have some contacts in real estate give me an email and i will see if i can help you.

Where abouts are you looking. We have 2 dogs and we are in a rental

dont give up there is hope xxxx

Peach that is totally out of order what you said about putting your emotions for the dog behind you.

I think I lent more towards suggesting that the feelings of the human members of her family should perhaps be of greater consideration than the dogs.

I fully understand what it means to be a pet lover, I left two cats with my sister who had been my companions through thick and thin for fourteen years. Had my children not been born they would have remained my primary consideration - but being a grown up and weighing up the cost and impact to them of moving them with us / against the impact to the rest of my family of not moving because of them, it was clear to me they had to be rehomed.

Peace. xx :wubclub:

Guest The Pom Queen

I have some contacts in real estate give me an email and i will see if i can help you.

Where abouts are you looking. We have 2 dogs and we are in a rental

dont give up there is hope xxxx

I think if you look at this members posts its not just the pet rental situation, I just hope she manages to get home and settle back in to her life again with her furry baby:wubclub:

I'm so sorry you've struggled so much that this has tipped you; I completely understand though. If I can't take my dog Maisy with me, I simply won't be going! Luckily though we have no house to sell, no kids, just me and my fiance, so less commitments and he's happy in either situation.

Sounds like things are just getting on top of each other so nobody should judge. Hopefully life will be better in the UK.

If i move over then im going to be leaving my furbabies behind with their old granny, i dont for one minute think it will be easy and if i didnt have a good home for them i wouldnt be leaving at all.

Yeah kate, dont want people panicking! It just seems to be a case of bad luck and not giving things time to settle, its a shame. I'd never judge anyone tho, cant imagine how hard it would be.

All the best to you in the UK laura and to your pooches x

I dont mean to be rude but why do you think its just a case of bad luck. have you been to Perth? What do you know about the rental system at this time apart from what you hear on here? Many of the people on here have been living in Perth for a while and have not been looking for rental for a long tims. It changes very quickly - not just for people looking with pets - we ourselves could not find anywhere unless we wanted to settle for a crap hole, get ripped off or live on one of these big new estates where there is nothing and a very long commute to work. The OP is not the only one in this situation - I know of several people, ourselves included.

It may look like there is plenty rentals, but a lot of them are already gone by the time you call up to see them, the lazy agents have just not taken them off the internet yet. Houses look nice on the net but when you go to see them they are in an awful state, photos are probably years old. It can be very hard to actually get an agent to show you a property sometimes - do you really want to wait over a week to view a house that you might not even get when you are in a hurry to get accommodation? This is only our experience in Perth

Whilst Perth is where I would like to live - it is not that brilliant that I would pay 500 a week in rent, that is just greed on the part of the landlords.

Again I would say until you have experienced it do not pass comment on other peoples situations!

Guest Guest31881

Whilst Perth is where I would like to live - it is not that brilliant that I would pay 500 a week in rent, that is just greed on the part of the landlords.

Again I would say until you have experienced it do not pass comment on other peoples situations!

Can I ask where you live now, as $500 a week is quite average for most major cities in Australia.

Guest guest52672

i can't believe how awful some of you are being towards me.... I put this post on here to warn others about the rental system and some of you seem to take delight that I am not only devastated about my dog but that I am 'struggling' emotionally as well... Perhaps if I had my dog with me then other issues may be more managable... like the fact I am unhappy here and I feel the school is not very good... some of you really should not comment about other peoples emotions... it's quite nasty. Like I said... I posted this originally to help others and now some of you want to whack me down as I'm not coping.

Guest guest52672
Can I just add something for all the members with pets who are heading to Perth, this is a very unusual situation and I have never known anyone not to find a rental before with pets. If you look at the link that Peach posted it looks like this poor member has struggled with the move over.

I just don't want you all going in to panic mode, moving is stressful enough.

Perhaps you ought to look on gumtree and see all the postings from people WANTING accommodation as they are desperate... most have pets I must add.... You are obviously a dab hand at the rental system, well done you. Yes, I have struggled with the move, maybe because I have had to leave my pet behind?????

Guest The Pom Queen
Yeh... lets all look at my other posts... grow up!!

Laura

I have done nothing but offer you support on this thread along with other members. I know how upsetting not having your pet with you can be, all I want to do is make sure that other people coming to Perth realise that this is NOT a common situation. You have been offered help from a number of members in finding you a pet friendly rental, PLEASE take them up on it, I really do hope things work out for you as there is nothing worse than feeling unhappy.:hug::wubclub:

Laura your taking peoples comments completely the wrong way, thats not what people mean. Everybody on here wants you to be settled with your dog. Kate is just meaning that she knows a lot of people who have found a rental easily but this might depend on location, size and maybe time of the year and there have also been members on here trying to help you with this. Please dont think people are picking on you because they're not

Aaah i see, just thought id check what you meant! well i hope things look up for the future, maybe theres even someone on here who could help.. a member thats a landlord or some members going back to the uk or moving state who are looking for someone to take over their lease. you never know

Laura

I have done nothing but offer you support on this thread along with other members. I know how upsetting not having your pet with you can be, all I want to do is make sure that other people coming to Perth realise that this is NOT a common situation. You have been offered help from a number of members in finding you a pet friendly rental, PLEASE take them up on it, I really do hope things work out for you as there is nothing worse than feeling unhappy.:hug::wubclub:

You have been a proper support M2M as always. Laura, please take a deap breath and review the situation, I cant help but feel there may be some other reason you cannot secure a rental, now I havent done this but I know a lot that have kept a dog without even telling their landlord, when rental inspections happen they hide the dog at a friends house, now Im not condoning it but Id be more tempted to try that than spend the fortune its going to cost to fly back to the UK, there is always a way to overcome most things, please dont ignore well meaning help when its there :hug:

I believe that with rentals you have to be slightly flexible - ask yourself do you absolutely have to live in suburb x, can you perhaps get away with suburb y next door, widen your search area. Do you really need a 4x2 could you get away with a 3 x2 or 3x1, once you have that initial rental it takes the pressure off and you can then look for your ideal house. I`ve heard of people before having problems getting rentals - especially in Northern suburbs, I`ve found the easiest way to get the rental you want is to get a good relationship with the agent - even if you miss out on the first one be chatty and friendly with the agent - they will remember you next time.

There are rentals out there but it may be a tighter at the mo - especially around this time of year.

As to the OP if your heart wasn`t in it in the first place then even finding a dog friendly rental won`t make any differance, plenty of good friendly advice offerred on here though which is well meant and genuine. You`d be suprised at what can happen when you accept it in the spirit it`s meant, friendships, pressure release etc.

We're all here to help, thats the whole point of this forum. It's very rare to find anyone who just wants to be nasty so please dont take the comments the wrong way, its very easy to misread comments on here because its over the internet, i do it all the time.

best of luck with your plans back to the UK if you go

Archived