Ielts 3rd December 3rd time

mapster

Got my 3rd Ielts test on the 3rd December....................:mad:

Having 1:1 tution this week from the college.........fingers crossed this helps me get the extra .5 in each section I need....:rolleyes:

We seem to of hit a brick wall and unless I can get 8's in all sections the dream will be over:mad:

The college have told me there are Techniques to learn to help with the test.

Hope this extra cost is worth it in the end..............

Having 1:1 tution this week from the college.........fingers crossed this helps me get the extra .5 in each section I need....:rolleyes:

We seem to of hit a brick wall and unless I can get 8's in all sections the dream will be over:mad:

I am with you all the way! i resit on the 10th - for the 4th time! Have you looked at the example 8 on the IELTs website? It has only just been put on there?

I am with you all the way! i resit on the 10th - for the 4th time! Have you looked at the example 8 on the IELTs website? It has only just been put on there?

You got the link for that?

I have 3 books now and I have done 2 listening tests today 38 out of 40 for both no idea what mark that would give me?!!

Good luck with you exam. I hope you get 1 extra point instead of 0.5 in each band

Did my first lesson today..................

Tutor is an Ielts examiner and has written a book on Ielts writing skills (I already had this book!!) Ielts advantage writing skills is the book he has written.

So far I am happy tutor gave me lots of tips and said he has NEVER had an English student:laugh:

But he knows people who have sat 15 or more tests and still not got the marks they need to study here in the UK.

He kept saying there is a technique to this exam and I can see where I have made mistakes in the essay + the reading multi choice.........so fingers crossed by the end of this week I will be able to say I feel confident to sit the exam on teh 3rd December.

Lots of homework given - just to keep me busy......................

Did my first lesson today..................

Tutor is an Ielts examiner and has written a book on Ielts writing skills (I already had this book!!) Ielts advantage writing skills is the book he has written.

So far I am happy tutor gave me lots of tips and said he has NEVER had an English student:laugh:

But he knows people who have sat 15 or more tests and still not got the marks they need to study here in the UK.

He kept saying there is a technique to this exam and I can see where I have made mistakes in the essay + the reading multi choice.........so fingers crossed by the end of this week I will be able to say I feel confident to sit the exam on teh 3rd December.

Lots of homework given - just to keep me busy......................

I already have my Australian permanent residence and I passed my IELTS six years ago, but this is really an interesting topic. I wonder what tips did the tutor give you and what have you learned so far.

Well, do your homework first and then share the experience, please...

:)

Good luck!

Here is what I was told yesterday:

You must do an introduction when writting the Essay. (I have not been doing this) This shows you understand the question.

Then have 2 advantages and 2 disadvantages for each point.

For each advantage/disadvantage you have do 4-5 sentences to back up your ideas. This will make sure you do over the 250 words and again shows that you understand English!!

When doing the reading:

Read the questions first and underline the import words you will be looking for.

Then when you read the text underline where the answers are.

This helps you to go back and check your answers if you have time at the end.

The tutor did say we as English will read to much into the text and this is often where we go wrong!!

I'm just off for my 2nd lesson with homework all completed...............

Hope this is helpfull to others who will sitting their test soon.

Here is what I was told yesterday:

You must do an introduction when writting the Essay. (I have not been doing this) This shows you understand the question.

Then have 2 advantages and 2 disadvantages for each point.

For each advantage/disadvantage you have do 4-5 sentences to back up your ideas. This will make sure you do over the 250 words and again shows that you understand English!!

When doing the reading:

Read the questions first and underline the import words you will be looking for.

Then when you read the text underline where the answers are.

This helps you to go back and check your answers if you have time at the end.

The tutor did say we as English will read to much into the text and this is often where we go wrong!!

I'm just off for my 2nd lesson with homework all completed...............

Hope this is helpfull to others who will sitting their test soon.

Thanks for sharing the tips, great advices! Good luck with studying and homework.

Today I gave in an 250 word essay and was told it was a 7.5...............to get an 8 I must have 4 or 5 paragraphs and add a little to the introduction and the conclusion but the tutor said the content ect was fine...............Yay that sounds more than do able!!!!

I have to hand in another Essay tomozz.......................

My letter was fine and was told it scored an 8 so no problem there. Another letter to write tonight.

Reading today I struggled a little and got 8/10 right but this was because I read the script to fast!!! When I went back I could see my mistakes.

Again we highlighted with a pen the important bits in the text and the 2nd reading test I did was fine.

I just hope the this extra cost is all worth it and these tips help some of you.

Tutor has given me 2 booklets and a cd so that next week I can practise ready for the Test on the Saturday.

Hiya All

Thought that I might jump into this thread to see if I can get some advice re: my results! I have received them today, after sitting the test for the first time in November and got: L9, S9, W8.5 and R7.5 ...... I need 8's in each band and was really worried about the writing test but that came back okay.

I can quite confident in my answers for the reading test, checked and re-checked them before the time limit and couldn't see any mistakes but was worried that I might have written answers in the wrong format, eg. are you allowed to write 'the' before the actual answer? If a question is asking what room is to the right should I have written 'the' bathrrom or just bathroom? I definitely had the correct number of words for each answer i.e. no more than three so I'm really struggling to see where I went wrong!!

Any advice would be much appreciated,

Many thanks

Eve

PS - Good luck for the resit Mapster :)

Hiya All

Thought that I might jump into this thread to see if I can get some advice re: my results! I have received them today, after sitting the test for the first time in November and got: L9, S9, W8.5 and R7.5 ...... I need 8's in each band and was really worried about the writing test but that came back okay.

I can quite confident in my answers for the reading test, checked and re-checked them before the time limit and couldn't see any mistakes but was worried that I might have written answers in the wrong format, eg. are you allowed to write 'the' before the actual answer? If a question is asking what room is to the right should I have written 'the' bathrrom or just bathroom? I definitely had the correct number of words for each answer i.e. no more than three so I'm really struggling to see where I went wrong!!

Many thanks

Eve

I will ask tomorrow for you. This tutor is an Ielts examier and so far has answered all these sorts of questions for me.

Personaly I would of not put the in the answer.

Hiya All

Many thanks

Eve

Eve I asked my tutor about "the" being used and he said it was fine as long as the word the was used. But that you bathroom would of also been fine.

Handed in another Essay today and it was marked an 9:biggrin: Feel I'm finaly getting somewhere......

Tutor has lent me 6 reading test's and 6 listening tests to do over the next week............Also said to do an essay a day - he has given me 6 topics!!!

Should keep me busy :cry:

Anyone else sitting this test on the 3rd?

Handed in another Essay today and it was marked an 9:biggrin: Feel I'm finaly getting somewhere......

Tutor has lent me 6 reading test's and 6 listening tests to do over the next week............Also said to do an essay a day - he has given me 6 topics!!!

Should keep me busy :cry:

Anyone else sitting this test on the 3rd?

Well done...and good luck for the 3rd!

I will be repeating on the 10th!

Hey Mapster, my OH is taking the test in Wrexham on the 3rd Dec ....... but he hasn't looked at any of the study books yet, and he ain't no genius - he just doesn't seem to get it that it isn't a walk in the park, I keep nagging him to no avail. Really admire your determination. Can see me booking another test for him and also some tuition, good luck with the test - you deserve 9's!!

Thanks for all the tips, keep them coming I will be passing them on to him!

Archived