Help! I’m a PhD graduate from Oz uni with no foreseeable visa options!!

Guest Snipe

Hi, I’ve completed a PhD from a top Australian university. I was invited to Australia with an international scholarship to cover my tuition fees and stipend. For this I was on a student visa, and my occupation of study was on the old Skilled Occupation List (this was 2007).

I am now on a Graduate Skilled Work visa 485 which lasts for a mere 18 months. I have secured a very good job in research, but as I work (in a full time-temporary position) for the NSW Government they are not willing to sponsor me to stay.

My skilled occupation (my PhD subject area) has subsequently been removed from the Skilled Occupation List (post July 2010) and, to my knowledge, I have no other way to stay and work in Australia once my current Graduate Skilled Work visa 485 is up!

Please can someone tell me otherwise?

Surely they can’t kick me out when I have made a life over here and was invited in the first place?!

P.S. Currently, I have been in Australia for just over 4 years, and after my 18 months from the skilled graduate visa are finished that makes nearly 6 years in the country

I am female, good health, and 26 years old

I have no dependents or family with me / wanting to move to Australia

I am a British Citizen

No criminal record

Sorry cant give you specific information but would definately suggest contacting a migration agent to give you some advice. As you say having invested in a life in Australia you dont want to have to move so rather pay for a consultation and find out all of your options from the outset. There may be some other visa you could apply for given your particular skills.

Hi, I’ve completed a PhD from a top Australian university. I was invited to Australia with an international scholarship to cover my tuition fees and stipend. For this I was on a student visa, and my occupation of study was on the old Skilled Occupation List (this was 2007).

I am now on a Graduate Skilled Work visa 485 which lasts for a mere 18 months. I have secured a very good job in research, but as I work (in a full time-temporary position) for the NSW Government they are not willing to sponsor me to stay.

My skilled occupation (my PhD subject area) has subsequently been removed from the Skilled Occupation List (post July 2010) and, to my knowledge, I have no other way to stay and work in Australia once my current Graduate Skilled Work visa 485 is up!

Surely they can’t kick me out when I have made a life over here and was invited in the first place?!

P.S. Currently, I have been in Australia for just over 4 years, and after my 18 months from the skilled graduate visa are finished that makes nearly 6 years in the country

I am a British Citizen

No criminal record

Yes they can just kick you out. However, before you despair I suggest you go a see an agent to discuss a way forward.

Sadly, yes they can kick you out if your skills arent what the country wants/needs at the moment.

It is always unwise for a student to believe that they have migrated and to become too settled, it was always going to be temporary and just the luck of the draw whether it would become permanent or not. Education is a big industry and the idea is that people come in, get trained then use their skills wherever they can and they leave to spread their knowledge and expertise wherever it is needed.

Thanks for your comments.

I would have thought Australia would want to prevent a brain-drain! After spending lots of money on me for 3+ years, only to send me back to the UK seems self-destructive.

My PhD, environmental science, of which there are many job vacancies what with the mining boom, though most require you are a PR to be eligible to apply. Though nothing environmental based remains on the new SOL. Mad!

Cheers.

I would have thought Australia would want to prevent a brain-drain! After spending lots of money on me for 3+ years, only to send me back to the UK seems self-destructive.

My PhD, environmental science, of which there are many job vacancies what with the mining boom, though most require you are a PR to be eligible to apply. Though nothing environmental based remains on the new SOL. Mad!

Cheers.

Perhaps one option would be to look for a job with an employer that would be willing to sponsor. I know quite a few environmental scientists, geologists, geomorphologists etc that found both jobs and sponsorship quite quickly here, and that was when applying from the UK. Most of them did move on a 4 year 457 visa to begin with and so I don't think the SOL thing applies (though somebody might wish to correct me on that).

Cheers.

It isnt brain drain as much as their contribution to the wider world general knowledge. Most scholarships seem to go to people from third world countries and the philanthropic view is that Australian knowledge is then shared with the world and people can return to their origins to make their home countries better. Student visas have never been migration visas.

With a PhD though, I would have thought that the world would be your oyster!

I am a British Citizen

No criminal record

I you want a professional assessment of your possible visa strategies, send me an email - visa@pinoyau.com

Archived