Blood Donations

Guest Spindrifter

Guest Spindrifter

Hi

Can I continue to donate blood in Australia?

I have donated in the UK for many years now and would like to continue in WA.

Thanks

Hey They don't want our blood! Any one who lived in Uk during the BSE crisis is considered a risk so certainly in NSW it is not possible to donate blood. Check though, it may be different in WA

Marian

Guest Guest31881

The Red Cross are responsible for blood donations and they will not accept blood from anyone who lived in the UK during the CJD scare. However the organ donor scheme is run by the government and they will accept your organ donations. I believe the Red Cross are reviewing their stand on blood donations from the UK.

Yea it's pretty dumb. My wife has said "if my blood is not good enough, then my organs definitely aren't" and refuses to be an organ donor.

Also I'm sure if you said to a patient "We haven't got any of your blood group, would you like to have this British blood that may have cjd, or die" they would go for the cjd risk.

Yeah this got on my nerves when I was on my working visa! They were desperate for blood in WA and I have always given in the UK, but over there...oh no way! I wonder if they might consider changing it in the future...surely there is the same risk of giving infected blood in the UK?

Has the chance of a VCJD 'explosion' gone away now in the UK? Or they do they just THINK it has?

Some people believe you should only use disposable 'once only' instruments for certain operations because of the danger of, I think 'prions', which cannot be removed by the usual sterilising machines?

I think the policy HAS to be reviewed considering how many migrants live here now, i can't say i blame the Red Cross , Australia is known for its tight quarantine etc stopping the spread of disease so i guess with humans and their blood its no different.

I have often wondered why they dont have a pommy blood bank if supplys are running short, id rather take a fellow poms blood and risk CJD if i needed it than have none at all.

Cal x

If an Aussie nips over to France which has rabies it means no donating upon return to Aus for a year if you've not been pre vaccinated. I think my hubby fell foul of this so was unable to donate when he went back to Aus.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure about all the nationalistic indignation :biggrin: ...even the uk imports some blood products from the usa so it doesn't have to give uk blood products to uk youngsters who were born post cjd. The only reason it doesn't do it for everyone is because it would be impractical. Uk blood is also banned in many other countries.

Good post....ive been meaning to ask this question for many months now but it was class 3 on my list ............ive NEVER give blood as im a pussy when it comes to needles but for some reason since coming to sunny Oz ive decided i want to save someones life and i cant ..!!!!! .......they have to change this red cross law but i have to mention there HAS been one case of mad cow disease in Oz and it was a person who has NEVER been out of Australia ..so thats why they are funny about it .......

Archived